[World of Bats] Batman: Damned

Hello and welcome to the World of Bats, the Batman Book Club!

This week, we’re going to be looking at another horror story for the month of October and checking out the infamous Batman: Damned, written by Brian Azzarello, with art by Lee Bermejo!

Here are the links to the issues:

Batman: Damned #1
Batman: Damned #2
Batman: Damned #3

NOTE: This is a 17+ rated book, which contains many mature themes, harsh language, and strong violence. If you are a younger reader, or if such themes can be triggering, you might want to skip this one.

This is the reading for 2021-10-16T05:00:00Z2021-10-22T05:00:00Z, but of course if you’re finding yourself stuck in a inescapable hellscape, you’re free to come back later!

So please share your thoughts once you’re done reading! This is a very interesting work, one full of theories and interpretations, and I’m looking forward to talking them with you all!

4 Likes

Also, if you’re looking for something a little less darker, The World of Bats is trying something a little different – I’ve set up a Series Discussion thread for the newest DC mini-series that just dropped today, Robins! So give that a read and let’s talk about it!

1 Like

Boo! How dare they censor the most important Batman moment in the last decade! :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Is this mini tied to anything Bat related or could i read it stand alone and follow it pretty easily? Im assuming yes

3 Likes

As this is Black Label, this is a standalone story. I might be wrong but I think only the White Knight books (as the universe crossovers from DC to DC Black Label) and Three Jokers are attached to other stories.

1 Like

As @D4RK5TARZ said, it’s pretty standalone. The only thing I can kinda see as a possible book also in this universe is Azzarello and Lee Bermejo’s previous graphic novel Joker, since it shares some of the same looks and aesthetics, and people have suggested that, without going into spoilers, that some scenes in Joker are also in this.

But still, pretty standalone.

2 Likes

I completely forgot about Joker. I might still have it on a shelf but I am pretty sure that was taken to a used book store.

1 Like

Yeah, I got it digitally a while back, but I think I’m going to have to get that nice deluxe edition at some point in the future, it is such a great book.

@LK3185, if you are curious about Joker, it is on DCUI!

1 Like

I did get rid of it. I do have Batman Noel though, which is another book I thought I got rid of.

1 Like

This is my first Black Label DC comic and it did not disappoint. I wish it was a few more issues, however I get the 3 issue limit. This is definitely a story that will have so many interpretations and theories. I look forward to seeing what everyone thinks!

2 Likes

Just Joined! Happy to be here at the Start of Damned!

Unnecessary Personal Story…

Short Story, I got my uncensored copy in my Pull box. It was waiting for me, and by the time i got it, the Comic was sold out everywhere. They sold me the copies in my pull box at retail. Then offered to buy them back from me at a profit to me.

GREAT START FOR ME IN THIS CLUB!

3 Likes

This was the FIRST EVER Black Label Comic Issued. What a great start right! How else would you write a comic of this Caliber without John Narrating!?

1 Like

I have to say, Rereading the censored version doesn’t take from the story line but hurts the Raw nature of this Comic Run. The Nudity was a very sybolic nature of the stripped and lost postion Batman was and is in . He is “Naked”. Naked clearly in his own eyes as well.
What a powerful opener to Black Label.
Thanks For having me!

3 Likes

From what I understand, Azzarello described Damned as “a quasi-sequel to Joker .” He said one did not have to read Joker to understand Damned , but if they read both they would see connections. The series’ narrative is a reverse of Joker 's. In Joker , was not physically present until the final pages but nonetheless plays a significant role; conversely, in Damned , the Joker only appears at the beginning but remains a narrative driving force.

2 Likes

On that infamous panel: I was relistening to an interview Brian Azzarello did earlier this year and talked about Damned. He said that he thought if anything was going to be controversial, it was going to be the Jokerized crucifix at the end of that issue. When he found out what everyone was talking about wasn’t that, but Batman’s member, his understated response was, “Uh…okay?”

Here’s a link to the interview.

3 Likes

Wait, they upped the price on the books? Personally, that would have been my last transaction at that place. If it is in your pull list, there is no reason for them to do that.

It’s Midtown Comics, and thats how comic’s work. It was sold out by the time I picked it up. The price of that comic hit like $250 at some points.

1 Like

That is the point of having a pull list. Normally, comic shops give you a discount if you have a pull list. Not a fee, even if you are late.

2 Likes

I don’t think you are following me. It was waiting in my pull box. And I did pay retail. But other then the copies in my pull box, it was sold out. And they wanted to buy them back from me? Why would I switch from one of the most reputable comicbook retailers?

1 Like

Youre defiantly not following. I paid 7.99 minus my 20% on every hundred, a copy. But by that time they were already on the wall and EVERYONE ELSE BUT ME, was being charged large amounts

1 Like