[World of Bats] Batman Book Club: Bronze Age Bats! November 1971-March 1972

We’re getting into the Congresswoman Babs era, which I love.

1 Like
  • Detective Comics #417: Both the main story and the backup were stronger than usual for Robbins.

• Batman #236: This is a pretty good story. The Robin backup was a pretty good conclusion too.

• Detective Comics #418: While this whole Bronze Age Bats thing is 90% an excuse for me to gush about Denny O’Neil, I gotta admit the setup on this one was pretty contrived. I liked Osgood Grotty, though. For the backup… Wait, Jim was a rookie cop in the ’20s?! Even if we’re talking like 1929, that’s still forty-two years before this book. If he joined the force right out of school, that makes him sixty, which I guess isn’t completely unbelievable but is on the very old end of things. If they’d said the ‘40s like when The Godfather actually takes place, it would’ve been a lot more plausible. Anyway, somebody tell Matt Murdock that the Kingpin is dead. Again.

• Batman #237: Wow. Wow. This one was intense. It might be my favorite of these Bronze Age issues so far.

• Detective Comics #419: Hey, check out proto-Harold! And a reference to Oh Danny Boy? Maybe it’s because the plot is a little, uh, ahem, questionable.

• Detective Comics #420: Most of the twists are telegraphed a mile away, but the plot is functional enough.

• Detective Comics #421: OK, the setup here was pretty tense. Though it’s odd that it leans so hard on the racial tension and then doesn’t have it actually amount to anything. The preceding issue and this one had one of the better backup stories from this batch, though.

• Batman #240: The brain-in-a-jar plot is… certainly something. And the backup is a little confusing without the preceding issue for context.

1 Like