[World of Bats} Batman Book Club: Batman-Strange Apparitions (May 2-15)

Howdy y’all and welcome to week (lost count) under the Thunderdome. I hope everyone is staying sane and that you and yours are safe and healthy. This month we will be checking out adventures of the Dark Knight from the 70’s and 60’s. In Strange Apparitions (Detective Comics #469-479 Batman has a snake in his boot, no wait, some one has poisoned the water hole. Yes that’s it, and the Worlds greatest detective begins his hunt to stop this foul smelling Dr. who is bent on Gotham’s demise.

Here are some links for this weeks reading.
Detective Comics:
# 469
# 470
# 471
# 472
# 473
# 474
# 475
# 476
# 477
# 478
# 479

I was originally going to have this be the first week installment (May 2-8) but I am kinda thinking of breaking it up into 2 weeks or do a comic-a-day kinda thing let me know what y’all are feeling.

• Two weeks
  • A comic-a-day
  • One week

0 voters

New dates for Strange Apparitions (May 2- 15)

Let us know all your thoughts down below! And if you haven’t joined the World of Bats club already, you can do so by clicking HERE! And if you have any questions, you can contact @Jay_Kay, @JeepersItsTheJamags, and @Aquamon. (Stolen from Jay_kay’s White Knight page ::joker_hv_5: )

1 Like

Since you’re doing 11 issues, you might as well go for 2 weeks.

Also, this is a very good run, and it’s the foundation for the Gerry Conway run of the early 1980s, which itself was resolved with the pre-to-mid-Crisis Doug Moench run.

2 Likes

Was this the story that was eventually reprinted as Shadow of the Bat? With the Joker fishes and stuff?

2 Likes

Yeah it’s a great one. I think you will like most of the ones I have planned this month.

2 Likes

I haven’t read Shadow since the 90’s but the Laughing Fish is apart of Englehart run. I will have to pass this over to @AlexanderKnox, they most likely will know.

2 Likes

Yeah, sorry, not the monthly from the 90’s. The mini from the 80’s. Rupert Thorne? Joker fish? Silver St. Cloud? If this is that, I absolutely love this run. Guess I’ll find out!

2 Likes

Ok yeah not sure. The only joker fish stories I know are this one and the one from BTAS. If its not the same one I think you will still like these, these issues were game changers for Batman comics.

1 Like

Hey, I found it. It is!

For posterity’s sake:

3 Likes

Ok nice! Thanks you for the Detective work :wink: ::batman_hv_1::

Oh did any of y’all do that voting thing I saw on the Home page? Not sure how fancy that award is but when I went to vote yesterday DCU was winning Whoop Whoop!

2 Likes

Yep…we were at 50% when I looked earlier today.

1 Like

Cool selection! I remember reading some of this back when I was first getting into comics, but it’s been a while. Looking forward to coming back to it. :grin:

1 Like

This run is notable for several reasons:

1. It introduced Rupert Thorne, one of the most significant gangsters in the canon.
  2. It began the trend toward Spider-Man style romantic subplots.
  3. It gave Deadshot a new (and far more iconic) costume and persona.
  4. It brought back the Golden Age villain Hugo Strange, not seen since 1940.
  5. It reinforced the Joker’s connections to his earliest appearances.
2 Likes

All excellent points! Yes thank goodness for Deadshots costume change, and really Englehart writing is really good. I don’t know how to describe it but it’s like reading a novel to me.

1 Like

Also that issue with Deadshot escaping. I love the interaction between Bruce and Dick in the bat cave it really puts a smile on my face to see Batman laughing and horsing around with Dick. IDK it’s cheesy but we see his pain so much, I think those panels are beautiful.

1 Like

It’s also worth noting that this is Deadshot’s first major (non-cameo) appearance since 1950. He’s a relic of the Golden Age, too.

Deadshot 1950

1 Like

I remember the first time I read that one. I could not believe that was what he originally looked like! :rofl:

1 Like

Ok These stories are great and loved going back to them. Here’s a few panels that had me laughing.

Batman to cool to say bye
Batman to cool to say goodbye!

Players gonna play
Bruce you scallywag!

Real smooth Bats
Real smooth Bruce!

Bruce you old dog you!
Bruce you Dog!

This was just a fun page.

LOL!
I don’t even know what to say for this :rofl:

3 Likes

Yeah, the Deadshot costume that’s introduced here is much better than the dress suit plus domino mask look he originally had. That said, I am reminded of how some of those elements were reintroduced with the more classic costume in Batman: Gotham Knight.

Funny you should point that one out – when Kevin Smith brought her back in Widening Gyre and had her give Bruce the nickname of “Dee Dee” for…related reasons, and I thought that was just Kev being Kev. Turns out it’s a bit of a callback to this story!

I do – why is this story talking about Dick and Donna being a couple? No. No. No. They’re brother and sister. That’s weird. No. No. Did I mention “No?” No.

Also, why does the Harlequin exist?

2 Likes

Because DC had already figured out that the Joker was their golden goose long before the current glut of material related to him (and Harley Quinn, for that matter).

1 Like