[World of Bats] Batman #452-454 "Dark Knight, Dark City"

Hello Gothamites and welcome to the World of Bats, the Batman Book Club!

For the month of March, in celebration of the release of The Batman in theaters, we’ll be highlighting stories about the rogues that show up in the film. This week will start with the main villain of the film, Edward Nygma/The Riddler, as we look at the story “Dark Knight, Dark City,” written by Peter Milligan with art by Kieron Dwyer.

Batman is led through a labyrinthine urban maze by his old nemesis the Riddler, who seems to have changed into an abominable monster with one purpose: to drive Batman insane.

LINKS:

Batman #452
Batman #453
Batman #454

Reading will last from 2022-03-05T06:00:00Z2022-03-11T06:00:00Z, but if you’re stuck meeting the Founding Fathers in the worst possible way, you can always come back later.

Looking forward to discussing this story with you all!

Click here to learn more about World of Bats.

Click here to join and get cool flair!

5 Likes

A bit of a supernatural turn for Batman here. Riddler is more bloodthirsty than I am used to, but it makes sense in the context of the story. Nice to see Alfred lending a hand in both solving riddles and freeing Batman. I do wonder if younger readers who never learned cursive would be able to read the diary entries. Overall, I enjoyed this story a lot.

4 Likes

Hah, funny you mention that – being an elder millennial I can read cursive, but it was a little hard to read in this instance because I was reading from my phone. :sweat_smile:

Glad you liked it, and thanks for sharing your thoughts. :smiley:

4 Likes

This is a great arc. It’s gothic, creepy, and the ending surprised me a bit. It kind of felt like one @Jay_Kay would save for October.

I do think that it’s a bit weird that Batman discovered a real demon in Gotham, one that maybe shaped the city, and just shrugged it off.

I didn’t have much trouble reading the cursive bits; I can read cursive but I would struggle to write it. Use it or lose it, I guess

3 Likes

Hmm. Talk about timing. This video just came out.

4 Likes