[World of Bats] Batgirls #1-6 "One Way Or Another"

Hello and welcome to the World of Bats, the Batman Book Club!

First off, happy Free Comic Book Day to anyone who partakes. :smiley:

Now, in anticipation of the upcoming book Spirit World, which features Batgirl Cassandra Cain, I thought it would be fun to do another series featuring Cass, so we’ll be looking at the first arc of Batgirls, written by Becky Cloonan & Michael Conrad and drawn by Jorge Corona.

LINKS:

Batgirls #1
Batgirls #2
Batgirls #3
Batgirls #4
Batgirls #5
Batgirls #6

Reading will go from 2023-05-06T05:00:00Z→2023-05-12T05:00:00Z, but if you’re taking a joyride in Bondo the muscle car and the years won’t stop coming, you can always come back later, you All-Star.

Looking forward to discussing this with you all! :batparrot:

Click here to learn more about World of Bats.

Click here to join and get cool flair!

5 Likes

And if you’re looking for more Bat-related reading, check out these fine clubs!

First, The BatFam is continuing their look at Helena Wayne’s iteration of Huntress and her adventures with the Justice Society of America!

Also, the Doom Patrol Club is starting their look at the most recent DP series, Unstoppable Doom Patrol, which guest stars Batman & Robin!

There’s also the return of the Birds of Prey Club, which is continuing their series read of the classic series and are now into the Gail Simone run, aka the run of Birds of Prey everyone actually loves.

It’s also the return of Harley’s Crew, where they’re following Harl’s most recent mini-series Multiversity: Harley Screws Up the DCU!

4 Likes

I :purple_heart: BGs sooo much. Am very sad to see it ending. :pleading_face:

3 Likes

I’m trying to figure out just how old these characters are supposed to be in this story, but I suppose the answer is “as young or old as the story requires.” Steph seems especially wide-eyed and perky for a story following all of the Detective Comics stuff a few years ago, but it works for the comic.

5 Likes

I think about it less in terms of their age and more of their mindset: like, Steph and Cass were going through a LOT of crap during that Detective Comics run, which of course would make them more dour and not as fun-loving. But some time has passed, Tim is alive (sure he apparently dumped her via text, but still a net positive), and now she’s hanging out with her best friend in a new environment. Even the threats she’s currently dealing with initially pale in comparison, so of course she’s in a happier, more bubbly place.

4 Likes

This was a really fun read and I appreciate how everything about it invites the reader to have fun and not take it too seriously. The panel where they cover up Steph’s string of expletives with a quote from a French philosopher was brilliant :laughing:

5 Likes