[World of Bats] All-Star Batman #6-9 "Ends of the Earth" & The Power of Shazam #22

Hello and welcome to the World of Bats, the Batman Book Club!

This week we’ll be looking at a shorter arc as well as a guest appearance in a book related to a new DC movie release!

First we will be looking at “Ends of the Earth,” an arc in All-Star Batman written by Scott Snyder, with art by Jock, Tula Lotay, Giuseppe Camuncoli, and Francesco Francavilla.

And in celebration of the release of the movie Shazam: Fury of the Gods, we’ll be looking at a seemingly rare Batman/Captain Marvel crossover in The Power of Shazam! #22, written by Jerry Ordway with art by Peter Krause.

Reading will go from 2023-03-18T05:00:00Z2023-03-24T05:00:00Z, but if you’re on a cross-country road trip dealing with your foes, you can always come back later.

Looking forward to discussing these issues with you all! :00_shazam: :batparrot: :00_shazam:

Click here to learn more about World of Bats.

Click here to join and get cool flair!

4 Likes

If you’re looking for more Batman reading, check out the ongoing month-long read for The Doom That Came To Gotham!

And there’s more from other great clubs in the DCUI Community!

Over at The BatFam, check out the last arc of Tim Drake’s long tenure as Robin before becoming a mascot for a chain restaurant! (:stuck_out_tongue:)

The Wonder Squadron is still taking a look at The Brave & The Bold: Batman & Wonder Woman.

and the Obscurity of DC Club is still doing it’s month-long look at the first Batwing, David Zavimbe!

5 Likes

Ends of the Earth was an interesting read. I think my favorite part was the Mad Hatter issue because it got a little trippy in how it explored the idea that maybe Batman was just in Bruce’s head. It’s not exactly a new idea, if memory serves there’s an episode of BTAS that did something similar back in the 90s, but I felt like it worked here. In the Ivy issue, it was fun to see the fake lips from Batman and Robin make an appearance. I’m not going to say that I saw the ending coming, because I didn’t, but once I started the last issue I knew it couldn’t really have been anyone else behind it

The Shazam issue was a fun read. It was interesting to see Batman being Batman in Captain Marvel’s world. It kinda makes me want to read more stuff with Billy Batson/Captain Marvel

1 Like

“Perchance to Dream”! A classic episode. :smiley:

Now that I think about it, I wouldn’t be surprised if this was sort of the prototype to what Snyder would later do in Last Knight on Earth.

And if you’re into the issue of Power of Shazam, I’ve been reading this series in anticipation of the movie and I’ve been enjoying it so far. Technically it starts with an OGN called “The Power of Shazam” that Jerry Ordway writes and draws and that’s unfortunately exclusive to the Ultra tier, but you can probably start from issue #1 set a few years after if you have the gist of who Billy is.

Thanks as always for sharing your thoughts! :slight_smile:

1 Like