Wonder Woman: The Animated Series

Did you watch it when it originally aired?

The show was not a huge budget show, certainly not by today’s standards. It was also a culturally different time. If you watch, it will tell you that WW was created by Charles Mouton.

1 Like

No, I was born in '93. I watched it here on DC Universe. I enjoy some other shows from that period though, like Dukes of Hazzard and Columbo but those don’t involve superpowers.

So look at it this way. WW was a tv show, trying to SFX for superpowers before the Superman 1 came out.

2 Likes

I would very much like to see a Wonder Woman TV show, and I think now would be the time to do it. She’s back in the public consciousness in a way she hasn’t been in decades. Who would have thought Diana being played by some random girl from the Fast and Furious movies would be the breakout star of the Justice League movies?

Anyway, I think Diana has the juice to make a great animated series. The problem might actually be with the toy marketing. Would you make it for boys or girls or try to split the difference. Gender neutral toys often fail.

1 Like

And that’s perfectly understandable, but it still hasn’t aged well. Think I’ll stick to her comics for now. I just saw someone else talking about this run called “The Legend of Wonder Woman” on a topic about favorite WW stories. Think I’ll check that out.

@DeSade-acolyte

I’m with Wondy in that I also found Wonder Woman to be underwhelming. I actually bought the box set of the first season thinking it would be kitchy fun, but it was more kitchy than fun. We did slightly enjoy the episodes we watched, but we put it away after only four episodes and never returned to it. I understand its limitations especially in terms of budget. It was basically cheap practical or nothing, but nothing really captivated me. Whereas Batman 66 has the intentional camp, but Wonder Woman doesn’t feel quite goofy enough to be campy and yet plays it too askew to be taken remotely seriously.

I also wasn’t born when it came out. I suppose Lois and Clark would have been my first main live action superhero series.

1 Like

You have to give leeway for the fact that the show was on TV in 1975. Budget, respect, it had many things against it…

1 Like

It was very much a product of its times and quite groundbreaking. Go back and try to find an non-comedy that had a female lead. For a “action” series. Virtually unthinkable and yet it survived 3 seasons. It broke new ground in having female stunt person.

It pushed the boundaries on what people thought a female lead could be. If you look at the first season in particular, WW never threw a punch. She mostly tossed people around. Why? Because the TV censors wouldn’t let her throw a punch.

Pluck Lynda Carter at that age, and drop her into today, where women have much stronger leading roles and can kick butt right next to their male actors. For as good a Gadot is, given the same capacities, LC would be a better fit as a modern day WW. She made the role iconic beyond just tv.

That was a show that motivated a lot of young women to pursue careers that had been traditionally male dominated because she was a strong, powerful, independent female role model.

Everything is a product of its time, and needs to be considered within that context. 40 years from now, the vfx we see in tv today will seem just, if not more dated.

3 Likes

So true. The Lynda Carter series is my absolute favorite show. It really was a faithful translation before doing it’s own thing. Honestly, the WWII episodes are much less dated, but the dialogue isn’t as strong as the present day setting of the series…

2 Likes

The first WWII season was the best, people also seem to forget that WWII was only 30 years behind us. There were still a lot of people that served in that war around and watching tv. Not to mention people who’s brother/father/son died fighting. I think that is one reason why it treaded very lightly in certain areas of dialogue and storyline.

1 Like

Very possible. But I also think they were kind of limited in what they could do in terms of the budget in WWII especially. I do credit my love for the series with my fascination of WWII. It is still one of the most interesting periods for me to learn about…

1 Like

I love to see animated series and why not include Nubia, would be interesting if geared for adults.

1 Like

I would be down with this. No doubt it would be its owns series and not connected to anything like the Bruce Timm’s universe. Hopefully it would also feature Donna Troy, Cassandra Sandmark, Artemis, and perhaps Nubia too.

1 Like

Sounds awesome.

Geared toward adults as long as it doesn’t go the route of TV-MA or anything. Wonder Woman is a character of hope and light and should not be reduced to vulgarity, at a risk of losing the character for the gratuitous…

3 Likes

Oh I would totally watch it!

1 Like