Wonder Woman Hitting Theaters and HBO Max on the 25th

So a trailer that has been made private confirmed that Wonder Woman will release Simultaneously in theaters and on HBO max

Statement from Patty Jenkins as well.

21 Likes

Can’t Wait! I’m sorry I won’t watch it at theater since I now don’t feel safe going there. As long it won’t cost me $30 dollars to watch it on HBO Max, I’ll be happy to watch it on there.:grinning: :wonderwoman:

14 Likes

Super happy they made this decision! I want all movies at home!

9 Likes

This is perfect for me. I live in NYC and theatres aren’t open yet. This is a movie I’ve been looking forward to for a while and now I’ll be able to see it.

In cases like this I’m glad I signed up for HBO Max when they offered us the deal in the summer. It’s nice Warner Bros/ AT&T learned from the Mulan fiasco and is making this available to HBO Max subscribers.

14 Likes

:wonderwoman:onderfully Awesome™:+1:
Christmas got better.

11 Likes

There’s no extra charge- you just have to have HBO Max

11 Likes

I had a feeling that something was going to give on that front, but I’m honestly kind of surprised that they didn’t go the VOD route and they’re still talking about a theatrical release. The way things are going, I would be surprised to see much if any theaters being open on Christmas Day, both in the US and internationally. Plus, right now HBO Max is only available in the United States, so unless they make a deal with international channels…just don’t be surprised if WW84 becomes the most pirated movie of 2020.

I’ll definitely be watching it on Max, I just hope it does well and that if the box office is bad, it doesn’t discourage WB from continuing their WW films.

7 Likes

I might spend my money on the theater. feed my local economy and all that

9 Likes

While releasing it digitally is smart with people yearning for a blockbuster, the methods of distribution was thought out by someone who has never left the US. This will be the most pirated movie ever and a financial catastrophe (it will not make a cent in most countries outside the US as there literally won’t exist any legal methods of watching it.). I hope they get a Netflix deal going internationally for the sake of the franchise.

4 Likes

Theaters are closed around the world. Find a country crazy enough to have them open, people won’t go due to covid risk. HBO Max is US only.

I’d be surprised if it breaks $200mil

1 Like

This will be a financial disappointment but as long as the execs at AT&T/WB realize why and move forward with WW3. Then it’s all good.

3 Likes

So many people ready to write this off…

2 Likes

Not sure who’s writing it off, but the fact it will have a very small domestic box office means it will be financially disappointing. The simultaneous release on HBO MAX will hurt the theater chains. Even a one week delay would have helped them.

1 Like

If I didn’t already have HBOMAX and WW 1984 was premiering on Christmas Day, I would subscribe. A year other than 2020 I would have went to the theatre for this movie.

2 Likes

Wow, it will be a Merry X-Mas Day now.

3 Likes

I like this idea. I want to see Wonder Woman 1984in the theatre, but I don’t think it is going to be safe enough come Christmas Day. This way I can see it sooner than I might otherwise!

3 Likes

I agree the theater is where I would prefer to see it, but we have too many self righteous people who would refuse to stay masked. Unfortunately I am not on board with HBO MAX, unless there is a free trial. So I will wait until Father’s Day and my daughter will buy me the Blu-ray with digital copy.

5 Likes

YES! Can’t wait to watch this on HBO Max!

First there’s Soul on Disney+, now there’s WW84 on HBOMax… That’s gonna be a very fun double feature on Christmas Day.

looks at Marvel

C’mon, Black Widow… give us the hat trick…

3 Likes

According to Deadline (and while these are rumors, they are fairly reliable), it sounds like while there might be more of their family films released exclusively on Disney Plus, like Cruella, Pinocchio, and Peter Pan & Wendy, they’re not planning that for Black Widow, at least right now.

Something to consider is that their release date now is in May 2021 – it gives them plenty of time to wait and see how the pandemic goes. Who knows, maybe the vaccines that are in the final stages of testing right now work and we’ll be in the midst of post-cronavirus life by then.

Huh, what’s that weird blue ring doing here?

2 Likes

This is a shot across the bow at movie theaters. Theaters want a bigger window before movies leave them. Studios want a smaller one so they don’t have to share so much of the profit.

Putting WW84 on screens and HBO Max simultaneously tells theaters this is the new normal studios won’t take your bullying anymore.

1 Like