Wonder Woman Historia: The Amazons | Book Discussion | Spoilers Ahead!

Glad you found it interesting! I am glad my Pocket Oxford Classical Greek Dictionary is still useful. I couldn’t bear to get rid of my reference books after the internet was born and they are always happy to be needed again after all these years. :laughing:

6 Likes

Interesting thanks for the info.

5 Likes

First, just finished reading and this is the soundtrack . Plz enjoy.

Like the last issue, I ended up slowing way down to read. There was a lot to process/set up in Book 1, but this one was a bit easier, and…it’s gorgeous—everything about it, imo. So far, I’m very impressed w/ this series, to say the least. Really looking forward to the next book. It’s going to be a looong wait. I wish they didn’t delay BL books and keep spacing them out this way, but that’s okay - it’s worth the wait. :wondersquadron1: :black_heart:

:raised_hands: I hope so.

And thank you for the info @SteveTrevor2.0 :star_struck::purple_heart:

13 Likes

An absolutely gorgeous issue!!

8 Likes

Book 2 is now available. :open_book: :coffee:

10 Likes

Book 3 releases on 12/27/22! :star_struck:

12 Likes

Paquette, Cover B

12 Likes

Well now, this is a dilemma. Which cover am I going to get? They are both beautiful!

6 Likes

I’m excited to finish this story, but it’ll be sad that its over.

8 Likes

@SteveTrevor2.0 Right?! :star_struck: They’re beautiful and I can’t choose! I may end up with both—we’ll see. :laughing:

Hey there, @Belen.17602! :wave: Welcome! Sometimes I have this habit of putting off finishing a book when I don’t want it to end :see_no_evil: so I think I get what you mean. The good news is we can always read it again tho. :purple_heart:
Thanks for coming by—don’t be a stranger!

10 Likes

I jumped on this at just the right time. I do not have to wait too long for the next installment.

I like the parallel to the Perez origin. I will confess starting the Wonder Squad’s Perez book club assignment right after reading the first installment (i think that’s how it played out) did not hurt at all. More on that in the appropriate thread.

I also like the parallel of where the Amazons come from. The change up with Hecate seems to be more about the Amazons themselves vs. Diana’s abilities.

I am curious to see the formation of the Bana Mighdall in this Historia.

Hippolyta is a brunette.

7 Likes

Welcome @Antleon! Really happy you’re enjoying it so far—excellent timing indeed. :purple_heart: See you when the next in arrives!

Ps.

:full_moon_with_face: :raised_hands: Thank you for this, as always.

9 Likes

Partly force of habit. it was a running joke with @nu52.

6 Likes

Well I dig it. As a brunette myself :dancer:t2: :sunglasses: Thank you.
And if @nu52 sees this: hi! :purple_heart:Hope you are well and have a Happy Holidays.

10 Likes

You are very welcome. blonde vs brunette Hippolyta (HippolytE in the early days of the Perez run) is very 50-50.

5 Likes

I read Book 3 today. This conclusion was definitely worth the wait. Beautiful, heartbreaking, occasionally downright gruesome…but truly an amazing mythological epic in comic form.

Something that made me particularly happy was the fact that, as Nicola Scott is the artist in this issue, her art of Hippolyta and the Themiscyran shoreline looked just like her renditions of them in Year One.

And of course, the final pages gave us the payoff we all were waiting for. (Well, I was, anyway. :pleading_face:)

I look forward to owning the hardcover of this one day, assuming they make one. :blue_heart:

12 Likes

What is the current origin of wonder woman ? I already lost track and I tend to just fall back on the bronze age origins. I particularly like the simple wonder girl origin of the Lynda Carter tv show. Bronze age was a simpler time with simpler origins when all amazons had powers.

5 Likes

Just got it and read all three of them in one sitting. What an epic tale! The art was so gorgeous and the story was so well written. One of my new favorites.

7 Likes

It’s so good, right?! Glad you enjoyed it. :world_of_wonder:

7 Likes

At last, I FINALLY read this story. My rule with Black Label titles like this is that I wait until the trade is out. There are surprisingly long waits between each individual issue. Anyway, let me share my thoughts on this story.

Let me start off by saying that this book is EFFING GORGEOUS! The visuals and designs on the page are inspired. It might be a bit overwhelming to dive right into the first issue, but once you take the time to adjust, you can take in and appreciate everything you see. And I love the approach to portraying the Greek pantheon. Some of the gods appear mainly human but there is also a sense of either regality or sense of otherworldliness. The former can be applied to Hera and the latter to Artemis. Some of the other gods though, they really went out to create a depiction truly unique. Zeus’s look is nothing like I’ve seen in other stories, Hecate is mind-bending, and Athena is unexpected. Aside from the gods, the mortal world has a look and feel like a high fantasy world. It makes it stand out from the otherwise superhero feel of most Wonder Woman books.

The writing is also top-notch. I love the way both the mortals and the gods talk and interact with each other. It really feels in keeping with the traditional Greek myths and epics. While the Greek pantheon simply feels like they are simply being devious with each other for the sake of it, this pantheon feels like they have a real investment in the mortal world and there is a sense of care to their actions. That’s not to say they are all virtuous or noble, obviously. They are a dysfunctional family and this book taps into that, warts and all.

I also like how the origin of the Amazons is played with. We have 6 tribes, one for each goddess that contributed to their creation. BUt when Hippolyta joins and a seventh is created, that also feels closer to how we generally know the Amazons in the main DC universe. BUt the details and differences make this feel unique and provide interesting insights into some of the conflicts they run into. While details are changed around (Hercules is killed by all Amazons instead of seducing Hippolyta and stealing her girdle) it never deviates so far as to take away some of the most important beats. There is still a betrayal committed by Hippolyta, but this one is worse as even though the Amazons are resurrected without their consent, they are now chained to Themyscira. This version of Hippolyta’s betrayal feels heavier and plays into more well-known Greek tragedies and stories. But it does end on a positive note that is also familiar with Greek mythology.

Overall, this is an amazing book and proof Black Label needs to move away from Batman and invest in other characters.

7 Likes