Wonder Woman Historia: The Amazons #1 (11/30/21) Spoilers Ahead

So I just picked this up at my local comic shop as I was tired of waiting for it to show up on DCUI (and I’m not sure if it ever will since they still don’t have the aforementioned Dead Earth or quite a few other such titles). I thought the entire issue was stunning. I love the density of the artwork and I had to force myself to slow down my normal fast reading pace to really appreciate it. Gorgeous and somewhat surreal, which to me lends a lot more weight to the story.

As mentioned above, there is a definite link to Perez, but I love the addition of each Goddess creating five specific Amazons, as well as seeing so many familiar names: Phillipus, Penthesilea, Antiope, Niobe, Philomela, Pythia, Mnemosyne, Penelope, Iphthime, and Io! (Yeah, I read too many WW comics).

Hera’s powers and role are particularly intriguing. The interactions between the Gods and Goddesses always interest me. I think that is why I love WW so much is my love of classical mythology, and combining ancient myth and modern myth makes this exactly the sort of story I love to read.

Just realized that issue 2 doesn’t come out until April 5th. Well, this will give me a couple of weeks to mull it over, and I have time to watch the videos listed above. When I find a story I really love, I enjoy spending time deep diving about it.

7 Likes

I finally read this! It was very good. Dark as hell, but good. There are a lot of uncomfortable questions Diana has to face for herself and her own people. Some of it was very painful to witness. But I am absolutely glad I read it. (The way Cheetah and Pegasus were incorporated was outstanding.)

I also finally read through Phil Jimenez’s run! This was less recent, maybe a couple of months ago (as opposed to Dead Earth, which I literally just read this week). But I definitely enjoyed it and was glad I checked it out!

6 Likes

Huzzah, and a Themysciran double high five to you! :raised_hands:t2:

Now that you’ve got Jimenez’s run down, what’s next on your Wonder Woman reading list?

SN: His run on Superwoman is pretty good. Not WW I know, but a good tenure on a book starring a badass lady (two in fact, as the series begins), all the same. :superman:

2 Likes

I’m finishing up Grant Morrison’s Earth One trilogy right now! :open_book:

5 Likes

Good stuff, and that reminds me that I still need to finish Earth One V3. I’m about halfway through, ATM.

4 Likes

With book two on the horizon it will be interesting to see where this goes. Im hoping this does well enough that the writers plans for turning this from a three book to a nine book series comes to fruition.

3 Likes

This is such a beautiful book!!

3 Likes

@nuuninuunani Hello, and welcome! A thread for the new Issue will be published tonight! :purple_heart: See you there!

@Stebs Welcome to you as well! And 100% agree :star_struck: :00_wonder_woman_gold: Really looking forward to the next book!

5 Likes

Thank you for the warm welcome :slight_smile:

5 Likes

You’re very welcome! :purple_heart: Don’t be a stranger! :blush:

5 Likes

Just arrived today!

3 Likes