Wonder Woman: Black & Gold | Book Discussion (Spoilers Ahead!)

For newer’ish comics. This is the only one besides Harleen where I knew on the 1st page it was gonna be something special.

Can’t wait for more. Ty @Angel212 for the heads up & link to this thread!!!

8 Likes

Welcome, @capo-mage! Glad you like it so far and look forward to hearing your thoughts on the rest. :blush:

4 Likes

:smiley: Thank You!!!

5 Likes

We Built a New World was a beautiful Diana and Steve story! Definitely pulled on my heartstrings. This was actually the first Black and Gold I’ve read. I’m definitely interested in reading more.

9 Likes

Ah!! What a story to start with! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: If my new avatar pic is any indication, this is now my favorite standalone Diana/Steve story I’ve read. Sometimes I think the anthologies capture their relationship better because they’re not afraid to lean into the purity of their interactions in short story format. (Whereas the main storylines seem to be opposed to maintaining happy relationships for any length of time. :upside_down_face:)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, @c02goddess.16092! If you read more Black and Gold, I hope you’ll come back to the thread and let us know what you think! :blush:

6 Likes

Hey @capo-mage! Welcome! :hugs: You too, @c02goddess.16092! :purple_heart:

Ps. Here’s some things…

10 Likes

:00_wonder_woman_gold: :black_heart: Issue 3: (Forgot I didn’t add these yet!) Again, I enjoyed them all, but here’s some highlights…

Espionage: Spy-Diana, being every bit as bada55 as you’d expect. Short, sweet and suspenseful. The artwork is nice an moody and sets the tone perfectly, too. Big shout out to this first page :point_up_2:

Beat the Heat: Wasn’t sure where this one was going, but once I did, this last page makes sure the irony rightfully slaps you in the face. A+ :earth_americas::green_heart: #TeamGreen (Also went really well w/ the story that followed, which gave us a great lesson on diplomacy. And had tardigrades! And Vixen!)

The Stolen Lasso of Truth: This one poignantly takes place on Halloween. Like some of the best Wonder Woman stories, it has a beautiful message about confidence and autonomy. Fantastic expressive artwork as well—my favorite of the set. :star_struck: Great way to end the issue.

I’ll be back w/ Issue 4. :purple_heart:

10 Likes

Already voted on that lol. I’ve been off for 2 days so had to be at least 3 days ago. Guess who I picked…?

6 Likes

Yesterday was Wonder Woman Day, so here’s a couple of points of interest for our girl:

Issue 5 of Black and Gold comes out next week! :black_heart: :00_wonder_woman_gold:

8 Likes

Great stuff @Angel212 I own very few comics. I buy figures. But, I have that WW thanks to my dad. He brought it over to me & asked if I ever read or liked this, as he was pulling it out of the bag. He got it at the dollar store for $5.99. I was like, that’s one of my favorite evers, alright pops!!! Here’s to great Dads & WW!!

11 Likes

It’s :black_heart: :00_wonder_woman_gold: Day!

My favorite story this time was “Beyond the Horizon.”

Because while I do absolutely love watching Diana deflect bullets, flip tanks, and scissor-kick Darkseid…my favorite thing about her is her empathy. It is without doubt her greatest superpower IMO. And it’s what sets her apart from other female superhero badasses. She can unquestionably save the day with her physical strength, but it won’t be her first course of action. And she somehow still loves and protects humanity even while we spend most of our time trying to destroy each other and ourselves.

9 Likes

Legend of Wonder Woman is wonderful! I miss that book.

11 Likes

It surprised me. I heard nothing about it. Then started it on here & ended up reading it all in one sitting lol.

7 Likes

Well the sixth and final issue came out yesterday, so let’s get into it:

Black and Gold Issue 6 Thoughts

This was another issue full of great stories, but my favorite was the very last one - “Fresh Air In Philly.” What better way to end this series than an epic team-up with Nubia? :star_struck:

First of all, Poseidon has a point…shades of Blue Planet II. The baby albatrosses will scar me forever. Please, people, just stop using so much disposable plastic! :pensive:

But as always Diana believes the best of us and fights for us even when we’re trying to self-destruct. And I loved that her sister was there supporting her.

Just look at these badasses:

And this ending with the two sisters Facetiming…my heart. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’m going to miss this series in the worst way. It is the new release I have most looked forward to and enjoyed this year. I can’t wait to own the trade whenever it comes out and reread it many times. :black_heart: :00_wonder_woman_gold:

7 Likes

:00_wonder_woman_gold: :black_heart: Issues 4: Another great set of stories (there’s a cult even! :eyes:), but two in particular stand out for me, just as an art nerd and shameless fan-girl…

Prayer: We get more of Diana’s spiritual/philosophical side (also something that should be used in her stories more, imo—especially when it involves nature :rose: :poisonivy_hqas: :full_moon_with_face:). Bonus: Nicola Scott is back! :raised_hands: She’s a great match for Wonder Woman, particularly expressing this subject. I’m possibly WAY biased, but this was easily one of my faves of the series so far.

What Ever Happened To Cathy Perkins?: A fun read overall. Admittedly, this isn’t an era I’m familiar with, but that wasn’t necessary here. Mystery, magic, 🪄 another throwback, and a sad/happy ending. Diana always ending w/ love. Well done.

:00_wonder_woman_gold: :black_heart: Issue 5: The two that stood out the most were Feet of Clay, and Beyond the Horizon.

Beyond the Horizon: Really enjoyed the whole pirate sea adventure vibe. (I mean…what’s not to like about a giant sea monster? :pirate_flag: Exactly! :face_with_monocle: Nothing!). But it showcases how gentle Diana is because of how well she understands emotions. And it gave us that :point_up_2:beautiful panel. A+

Feet of Clay: This one probably gets the top spot for over all consistency. We get an inspired story about Diana, aka: The bratty clay thing, lol (and written to Diana) from Antiope. The artwork was cinematic and brought a lot of energy to the right spots. Then it winds down w/ a pretty perfect line: “You will never be comfortable letting others dictate your destiny. :muscle: So don’t let them.” :purple_heart:

11 Likes

Empathy is what separates the adults from the children, and solves problems, so…yeah, it’s my favorite thing about her (or anyone who chooses empathy over apathy) too. :purple_heart:

12 Likes

If you’re biased we can be biased together. Nicola Scott is just so good. :heart_eyes: :star_struck:

This. :heart: :blue_heart: :yellow_heart:

7 Likes

8 Likes

Did you see shes working on Historia? :eyes: :speak_no_evil: squee!

Also: :purple_heart:

7 Likes

No I didn’t! Yaaaaay! I’m so excited to see her beautiful work on that book! :sparkling_heart:

P.S. Happy Hanukkah to those celebrating! :menorah:

6 Likes