Wonder Woman and the Star Riders (Canceled TV Series and Doll Line) Comic has been posted!

WOW! You learn something new everyday. So apparently in 1993 Mattel Planed to develop a doll line for Wonder Woman with a companion TV series, but nothing ever materialised aside from a one off comic (Which would have been packaged with the dolls) and images of dolls and sketches. Artwork has been published in Les Daniels’ 2000 book, Wonder Woman: The Complete History.

The cancelled designs were used for Tenko and the guardians of magic toy line… which shortly got cancelled

Images I found:

The comic is available for purchase, but as to be expected is expensive. This would have been Wonder Womans first (And to date only) Animated series. Me being a fan of stuff like Princess Gwenevere and the Jewel Riders, She-Ra, Sailor Moon, Skydancers and now that I have found it, Tenko, I can say that I would have watched this like crazy!

What about you guys?

13 Likes

Well, those are adorable. A lost opportunity there.

10 Likes

Agreed! They should have gone through with it. We would have had a cute Wonder Woman Magical Girl TV show!

8 Likes

At least we can thank Lauren Faust for give us a Wonder Woman magical girl style transformation sequence in DCSGH!

7 Likes

Agreed! Wonder Woman did eventually get her all girl team TV Show!!!

6 Likes

The PDF of the comic has now been made available to download here:

I’ll post my thoughts after I read it!

10 Likes

I always been a fan of the magical girl fantasy series Amethyst: Princess of Gemworld and to see Wonder-woman would have gotten one too but didn’t is outright criminal for A lister character.

4 Likes

I remember in 1993 when this line was shown in an issue of Tomart’s Action Figure Digest. At that time, the line was an upcoming release and hadn’t yet been shelved.

It didn’t interest childhood me then (Kenner had the lock on DC stuff as far I was concerned) but it was an…interesting idea at least, and it will forever be noteworthy as the historically first Wonder Woman-specific toy line, even though the line never made it past the prototype stage.

5 Likes

Wow, this is really interesting! It has a late 80s/early 90s vibe, remniscent of Jem and The Holograms or She-Ra. Those dolls seemed to be a perfect match for the time too (like the popular Sky Dancers dolls below).

I wonder why it was pulled? I would have loved to have seen those on the shelves and TV. Great research @KendallMJohnson - thank you for sharing!

6 Likes

If memory serves, the toy mags I was reading at the time ('93-'94) said the line was cancelled due to poor retail interest.

5 Likes

WHAAAAAAAAAAT?!

5 Likes

I mean, Kellog’s Cinnamon Mini Buns were on board. :joy:

8 Likes

I had this along with one or two of the other Cinnamon Mini Buns comics. I think one was Superman vs Metallo and a weather machine. I’ve lost them to the sands of time.

5 Likes

I would have bought every single toy from this line. But I have a deep love of Mahou Shoujo (magical girl) anime. I would purchase anything in this genre. ANYTHING! ALL THE THINGS. *heavy breathing intensifies Yes, I love all the sparkles, glitter, etc. of this particular genre. It is pure happiness. Now I am needing to reading this comic STAT.

7 Likes

Thanks for the link! The article was pretty spot-on about the comic.

6 Likes

adds the above to his eBay wishlist

That looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for the heads-up on it. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Given how big nostalgia in the toy and collectible industry is right now, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Mattel (who can still make DC-related dolls, despite no longer having the DC action figure rights) make an attempt to sell this line at some point.

Now, it may not be the exact product they designed years ago, as those prototypes and their tooling/molds may be lost or destroyed, in private collections, etc.

Even if Mattel just took the concept of Wonder Woman and the Star Riders and made an entirely new line with new tooling, it could still be branded toward a certain segment of the collecting community as “From the ashes of the past comes the line that almost was, and now, today, IS!”

I mean, I’d buy it and I know you would Cass, as would @SteveTrevor2.0 in all likelihood, so they’ve got guaranteed sales from the three of us, at least. :nerd_face:

4 Likes

I downloaded and read the issue on my iPad.

It was fun and nostalgic. I would 100% be down to collect toys based on the concept. I love having stuff that my lady and I can collect together and this would fit the bill.

4 Likes

So I made the “mistake” of showing it to my lady.

We are now the proud owners of the mini-comic.

4 Likes