Wonder Woman 3 Is Canceled

At least we got 2 Wonder Woman movies.

11 Likes

Nooo

10 Likes

Shut up. No!

8 Likes

Multiple sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Patty Jenkinsā€™ Wonder Woman 3 is not moving forward and is considered dead in its current incarnation.

Sounds like it is getting simply rewritten.

12 Likes

I took that as it is dead. They also listed the cost of both Gardot and Jenkins as reasoning.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s how I took it as well.

The story will be rewritten to fit the new plan, but weā€™ll get a 3rd film, guaranteed.

10 Likes

God, I hope so. I can live w/ the treatment/script being reworked to something that fits better w/ Gunn and Safranā€™s plans, just so long as we actually get another movie. Not making it at all w/ Galā€™s Diana still being iconic would just be such a terrible move, and I have to believe Gunn and Safran are better than that

9 Likes

People love Gal as Wonder Woman. Theyā€™re not gonna leave money on the table.

11 Likes

Exactly. Hopefully we get some official clarification on this soon

7 Likes

The second one was awful so I canā€™t say Iā€™m super disappointed.

8 Likes

I hope itā€™s just being reworked. To me, Gal was Wonder Woman. The second one was just alright to me. But I need Gal.

9 Likes

Thatā€™s really too bad, I did enjoy the second movie the most.:slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

I started to read the link, then saw it wanted to spoil the upcoming Flash for me, and decided I didnā€™t need to read it that bad. Guess I should avoid Hollywood Reporter articles between now and next June!

Depressing if this development means they are moving on from the actors/characters set up in the Snyderverse. Although I guess they canā€™t be taking it that far, since Peacemaker and the Amanda Waller series will be taking place in that universe, and Gunn has no motivation to rule out a future for those actors/characters.

So maybe they were looking at the figures for Wonder Woman 3 and thinking it lined up a lot like the Black Adam movie that has the star making $20 million and is losing money.

Gal Gadot has been nothing short of fantastic in the part, but if they wait three years and go with a brand new actress, at a pay scale that makes for a film profitable enough to generate its own run of sequels, that works okay too.

It never really made sense for them to greenlight Wonder Woman 3 in the same week when Wonder Woman 2 was both bombing at the box office and facing falling scores at Metacritic except as a distracting publicity stunt

9 Likes

Honestly expected it to bomb. Besides being a new ip for moviegoers, It didnā€™t help wakanda forever premiere the week after and China refused to show this movie because of Peirce Brossman.
Hopefully Hbo max and blu-ray sales make up the difference.

7 Likes
9 Likes

That terminology wouldā€™ve been used if that were the case. Peeps might be thinking ā€œWelp, Galā€™s too big of a star to cancel.ā€ Not if the front office is willing to give her top billing in another film thereby paying off her WW contract in full.

Iā€™m very frickinā€™ :angry: about this.

Letā€™s face it- as much as we all loved it WW 1984ā€™s ROI wasnā€™t near itā€™s projected earnings expectations and Zaslav is well over $60B in the hole right now. Itā€™s fire sale season over at 3400 Warner Blvd in Burbank now. And everybody knows it.

I hope you both are right and that Iā€™m wrong. But when it comes to the front office suit suite and money they ALWAYS go for the shortsell nowadays. Long term payoffs just donā€™t gleam like they used to.

9 Likes

Saw this sad if true. Liked both of them. Iā€™m seeing things that say itā€™s either

• getting rewritten
  • her role becoming cameos
  • reboot with Gal
  • reboot without Gal
  • or something else.

Iā€™m also hearing theyā€™re announcing there plan next week so Iā€™m waiting until then before judge anything.

7 Likes

Again, I hope Iā€™m wrong about all this. But I really donā€™t think weā€™re getting another WW film for quite some time. I think youā€™re def on point with the Gal as WW in cameos idea, but if her film gets shelved thereā€™s a strong chance sheā€™ll decide to walk away from the role entirely.

6 Likes

Well, thatā€™s a hell of a shame. WW84 was a movie that I kind of soured on a bit as it sat with me (the way that they brought Steve Trevor back and the implications are justā€¦horrific), but I was hopeful that a new movie with Galā€™s Diana in the present would work.

Hopefully Jenkins leaving doesnā€™t mean that Gal is gone as well. I would hope that Gunn would work with her to do something that would appeal to her.

The best sliver lining for this, though, is that at least this means we could finally get that Star Wars: Rogue Squadron movie that Jenkins announced a few years back.

9 Likes

From what Gunn has said, theyā€™re announcing their plans to WB Discovery at the end of the month.

6 Likes