Amazon Headquarters

My fave non-WW Amazon is Donna for sure (big Wolfman and Perez NTT fan, and when I was getting back into comics, she was dating Kyle Rayner):

donnatroy

10 Likes

I really, really, really want Sejic to come back to DC. I am digging his adult aimed Top Cow stuff but so many could have beens. (Poison Ivy and now Donna)

Back at the beginning of DCU when titles would rotate in and out of the library, that was a horrible idea, NTT was posted in all of its glory. I recently signed up and NTT only had maybe a week left before it was leaving. I read so much Teen Titans that week, at home, at work on my phone… on a break, of course, standing in line at the store, anywhere else I might have been that wasn’t of any consequence to read a few pages. So happy that has gone by the weighside.

8 Likes

Oh, same – he recently dropped some amazing pitch art for a similar book for Catwoman and I’m like NEED. But I get it – he can get by with his Patreon stuff and, from what I understand, that’s about as much as he can do with his health so I can’t be too mad at it. Maybe someday…

7 Likes

Wonderful! I have quite a few of them.

The Circe figure I posted is one of my WW grails I’m on the hunt for, along with the Donna Troy from that same line.

My stars and garters, where to begin?

Well, in the modern era of Wonder Woman, its absolutely Yara Flor.

Her majestic beauty, sense of humor, predilection to saying “Yoink!” (something I’m prone to doing) and overall wicked-rad nature just click for me.

On the list of women in the DCU that I have a pretty big crush on, Yara is easily in the top 5, easily.

Also, as far as new characters go, I’ve never crushed on one as quickly as I have Yara.

So, she’s got that going for her, which is nice. I guess. :joy:

Team Yara, unite!
:fist_right:t2: :fist_left:t2:

If a Yara Flor club should ever materialize, I know the two people who should run it…

“Moving on.”

After the lovely Ms. Flor, I lean towards Artemis, especially as drawn by Mike Deodato in the '90s.

I have no shame in admitting I love cheesecake art (nor should anyone else feel shame in liking it), and Deodato’s Artemis hits the mark, and then some in that department.

However, physical beauty means absolutely nothing without mental beauty (for me, mental beauty outprioritizes physical beauty by a very far margin), and Artemis is quite the intelligent, cunning warrior and, in my four eyes, a cultured sophisticate as well.

Show of hands from those who’ve read Artemis: Requiem?

waits for hands to rise

For any unaware, its a pretty rad 6 issue mini from 1996. It isn’t yet available in digital, but its easy enough to yoink (See what I did there? TY, Ms. Flor. :wink:) on eBay for under $20.

After Artemis, I’m Team Donna Troy, big time.

Donna is a more fleshed-out character than Artemis, and her impact on the DCU certainly goes far beyond the walls of the Wonder Woman franchise.

Right, New Teens Titans fans?

“Right!” say the NTT fans in the audience

Fun Fact: DC Special: The Return of Donna Troy #1 was the first comic to feature the swirl (i.e. circle and star) DC logo that was in use from 2005 to 2012.

It debuted on that book in June 2005, about a week prior to Batman Begins’ theatrical release that month (with BB being the first non-comic media to feature the then-new logo), and gradually appeared throughout the rest of the line as June wore on.

The more you know. :stars:

Other Amazons I stand with are Hippolyta (she was pretty rad in Bendis’ Infinite Frontier Justice League) and, of course, Cassie Sandsmark.

Oh! Almost forgot: Two other favs of mine are Grail and Myrina Black.

They’re both absolute badasses who made their debut in The Darkseid War, which was not only a badass tale for them and Diana, but the Justice League as well.

The Darkseid War is also one of the top 5, fist-pumping, adrenaline-fueled, crown jewel adventures of the modern era of DC. Fact. :0_wonder_woman:

Outside of the comics, I really like:

• The DCAU Circe. She’s just so smooth and sexy. Not my kind of lady (I do dig her purple hair, however), but a rad one, all the same.

• The DCEU Antiope.

She’s incredibly beautiful, iron-willed, a badass warrior and has a great demeanor. What’s not to love, Forrest?

• The DCEU Hippolyta.

“Amazons, show him your fear!”

She’s rad in both of the WW movies of course, but some of Connie Nielsen’s best moments playing her are without question in Justice League (both cuts).

I love a queen who not only oversees her people with a fair and just rule, but is also one who isn’t afraid to toss her crown aside and say “Let’s kick some ass.” when situations dictate.

• Donna Troy on Titans.

Season 3 of Titans was very hit and miss (more miss as the season dragged on), but any scene with Donna was gold Jerry (Seinfeld, but Yara’s horse, too), gold!

One final note on comic-based Amazonians is that I’m digging Nubia quite a bit.

I’ve only read the first and last issues of her book (and making the last issue of a 6 issue mini a tie-in into a bigger event was an…interesting choice), but from those, and what I’ve read of her in Wonder Woman and the rest of Trial of the Amazons, its safe to say that I’m onboard the Nubia fan train for the long haul.

goes to pray before the Amazonian gods for toys and merchandise for Yara, the Titans iteration of Donna, the Rebirth iteration of Artemis and Nubia

9 Likes

I’d say that counts.

Sure, Kara is Kryptonian, but given that her knowledge of combat all goes back to what she learned on Themyscira, and undoubtedly guided her in her post-Superman/Batman adventures, I think Kara should, at minimum, be considered an honorary Themysciran.

“You’re not just saying that because the Supegirl arc of Superman/Batman is your favorite of that whole series, are you?”

:smirk: Mebbe. :wink:

8 Likes

@WonderSquadron :wondersquadron2: Good Morning!
Our first official book club (aka something in the DCU Library :partying_face:) begins today, and will run all month—hope to see you there!

:books: Our Trial of the Amazons discussion will remain open for the remainder of the story this month as well. AND! If you’ve been reading Wonder Woman Historia: The Amazons, we have a discussion for book 2 right :point_down: this way…
https://community.dcuniverseinfinite.com/t/wonder-woman-historia-the-amazons-2-4-5-22-spoilers-ahead/3201995?u=razzzcat

12 Likes

Gods of Gotham, nice.

I’ve literally been meaning to read that one since, like, 2006 (when I was on a BIG WW kick, due to the debut of “Who is Wonder Woman?”), so (and to keep it Gotham-themed) as Bruce said in Batman Forever:

“Tonight’s a good night.” :batman: :wonderwoman:

7 Likes

Agreed. His artwork has evolved over the years and you can barely tell that he is the same artist. Deodato has does a lot of AWA Upshot books and I often forget his work in the 90s when seeing the more current art.

7 Likes

Frankly, I find cheesecake art rather wonderful.

Also, I like cheesecake in general, so…

zones out while thinking about having strawberry-topped cheesecake for breakfast

8 Likes

They should have a Wonder Woman Comics Storyline where Circe invades Themyscira and uses the Foutain of Youth or a different Magical Item from the goddess of Youthfulness to turn many of the other Amazons protecting Themyscira back into babies again and right after she turns Hippolyta back into a baby again Wonder Woman Dianna Prince comes and says getting sick of turning people back into animal’s Circe then Circe says at least if I turn them into babies again they will grow back up all into a Army of Amazon’s that fight for me and only want to listen to me once I all reraised them back up again and then Wonder Woman says I won’t ever let you do that to my sisters or mother Circe and they begin fighting and during the fight Wonder Woman manages to kick the Magical Artifact Circe used to turn her sisters in Arm’s back into innocent babies again out of Circe hands while Circe is trying to use it to turn Dianna Prince back into a baby again and the Amazons and also Hippolyta returned back to thier normal ages again and Circe is Deafted but she says will meet again Wonder Woman and Dianna Prince says and next time you won’t be as luck Circe because you’ll be permanently put in Tartarus!

5 Likes

I definitely feel this – I would say that it works in some stories or moments better than others. There has definitely been cases in comic history where what should be a dramatic or heartbreaking scene gets interrupted by “okay, why are you showing us your plunging cleavage and doing the sexy eyes?” “Yes, this is a very nice butt, but shouldn’t we focus on the villain doing their monologue?”

Two artists that come to mind that I think does the balance fairly well with Wonder Woman are Frank Cho and Yanick Paquette. Both show Diana as very beautiful and sexy, but still keeps them strong, powerful and graceful.

9 Likes

I am right there with you, my friend.

6 Likes

I think Gods of Gotham was the first WW arc I ever read.

8 Likes

I love Cho and Paquette. As Marshmallow Pete says, “So good!”

Right? Strawberries top cheesecake in a most wonderful, yummy, fashion.

Great Hera, I can’t remember my first WW arc.

They say you never forget your first, but evidently I did.

7 Likes

Just to randomly comment, something ive been really enjoying about the current run of Wonder Woman is how its been grabbing up obscure characters from Wonder Womans rogue gallery like Gundra, Gadget-Maker and Image-Maker and breathing life into them to make them new and interesting.

It really makes me want to look back at other one note single shot villains of the era and muse over who could pop up next.

Termite Queen and her legion of omnivorous termites?

Baron De Boar the boar headed doof with his army of knightly automatons and a dream to reclaim his ancestors glory?

Strogo the Wizard of Thought who ruled an army of fairytale monsters with a desire to conquer all of the fairy tales?

Doctor Domino the domino man and his evil plots for world domination?

King Tassel of planet Rykornia and his dreams of turning the Earth into one giant nutrient stealing corn field?

There is so much delightful weirdness in Wonder Womans rogue gallery that so many amazing possibilities exist.

14 Likes

Of your choices, my vote goes to Baron De Boar, as he’s just oddly odd in a grand way.

Plus, knights kick ass and anyone with an army of them is worth reading about, especially when its a villain who’s going up against Our Fair Themysciran (FYI, the role Audrey Hepburn was born to play, but sadly didn’t).

7 Likes

I didn’t even realize a lot of those characters are old WW enemies, that’s really cool!

Makes me wonder why they haven’t used some of the more C-tier WW villains then, like Blue Snowman or Angleman.

8 Likes

Now, I know why I could never find any WW action figures.

8 Likes

Hmm…Makes me wonder if I should just do a little segment about different Wonder Woman villains. Theres literally hundreds of the things and dozens of them are utterly bizarre and surreal and worth at least a look.

10 Likes

Sounds interesting.

5 Likes