Wonder Squadron | Book Club 10: Come Back to Me

Happy New Year, Wonder Squad! :confetti_ball: :wondersquadron1: The holidays are over and the winter has truly set in…so there’s nothing better than curling up inside with some comfort reading. This month we’re featuring a fun, self-contained Wonder Woman story by Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti - Wonder Woman: Come Back to Me!

“When Steve Trevor is called in for a test flight of an experimental new aircraft, he winds up lost in the Bermuda Triangle—and it’s up to Wonder Woman and Etta Candy to follow his trail to a mysterious, savage island!”

Wonder Woman: Come Back to Me 1 - 6

:open_book: If you’ve read the story for this month and wish to discuss, drop your thoughts below when you’re ready!

:wondersquadron2: You can join or learn more about The Wonder Squadron HERE.

13 Likes

A fun little title, though I was very sad when Chad Hardin left the art duties.

5 Likes

Seeing the title reminds me of Wonder Woman 84 when giving the speech and fighting withe Cheetah. I have never read the book, maybe I will. It sure got my interest.
:grinning: Also DC Animated Club is doing a Wonder Woman Adventures month.

7 Likes

We’d love it if you joined us, @Reaganfan78!

Awesome! I’ll have to check it out! :blush:

6 Likes

I’ve been a member since November 22nd, I probably should’ve interact more in the club. :slightly_smiling_face:

:wondersquadron1:

6 Likes

Another World of Wonder revisit with this selection. I like the pacing. It has a popcorn movie element with respect to the action.

7 Likes

This is a great way of putting it! It also reminds me of a video game in some respects.

I’ll be back to talk in more depth on this book later. I appreciate you always chiming in, @AntLeon! :smiling_face:

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, @chintzybeatnik! I also always love the standalone stories. It’s great to sit down and just enjoy a good narrative without worrying about what the current continuity is. :world_of_wonder:

10 Likes

Finished this up last night – all over a fun story. I don’t think it was written this way, but it kind of felt like a Round Robin sort of thing, where there was a constant sense of different, wild things happening in ways that don’t quite make sense looking at it overall, but works as you’re turning the page.

I think my favorite aspect of this was Diana teaming up with Jonah Hex, as that’s an odd pairing we don’t see often if at all. It’s also cool because co-writer Jimmy Palmiotti had a long and acclaimed run on Jonah Hex/All-Star Western, so it’s proper that he’s the one who does this.

9 Likes

Glad you enjoyed it, @Jay_Kay! I also really liked Jonah Hex’s part in all this. I only really know him from guest appearances like this, and from that Justice League Unlimited episode (I think?). So I’ll have to check out his solo series sometime!

7 Likes

I would say not so much. My Hex experience was mainly a run in the 80s where he was brought to the future. In that as well as here, JH adapts quickly to his surroundings and is usually a good judge of character when finding allies.

The odd pairing is something I always enjoy. It probably gives the writer(s) something to really chew on. Same with the reader watching the pair work together and learn about their surprise ally.

I also like the standalone aspect. Those in the know would be able to pick up on what iteration Cheetah and Diana come from, but it would be an easy read for the casual fan or even someone new to comics in general. Whether or not there would be outrage about Etta being black would depend on troll-ish-ness of the reader. for the record, my outrage was pretty much nil. but i digress…

The ending is classic Diana, where the antagonist is not beaten with fists, but with learning that the choices made were the wrong path to take.

and if you are into the WonderTrev, this story is chock full of it.

9 Likes