Wonder Squad | Book Club 9: George Pérez & Wonder Woman

:wondersquadron2: Greetings, friends! Now that the weather is colder, the nights have grown longer, and 2022 is drawing to a close, we have something extra special planned to hopefully warm us during this holiday season. :purple_heart: :snowflake:

As I’m sure you all recall, we lost a great talent this year—one responsible for creating or redefining so many characters across the comics landscape that his influence is far-reaching and enduring to say the very least. Of course, the most notable character to us is our #1 lady, :00_wonder_woman_1982: Diana Prince, so this month we invite you to join in a celebration of a creator who is nothing short of legendary: George Pérez.

:wondersquadron1: His entire landmark run on Wonder Woman is open for discussion, but for our purposes, we’ll be focusing on three stories in particular in Issues 1-14:

• Gods and Mortals
  • Blood of the Cheetah
  • Challenge of the Gods

:snowflake: This activity will be running ALL month long!

:wondersquadron1: Reading begins: Right now!

:wondersquadron1: Discussion begins: As soon as you‘re ready! Did you enjoy it? Have you read it before? What did you think of the dialogue, plot or artwork? Anything at all about the reading you’d like to discuss—don’t be shy! Drop your thoughts below when you’re ready. :purple_heart: See ya soon!

:wondersquadron2: You can join or learn more about the Wonder Squadron HERE.

14 Likes

Can’t not drop this. :wink:

Our friends over at dcfac covered him not too long ago—come by to check it out if you have a min! :purple_heart:

15 Likes

Dear whoever is reading this,
Given the subject and the time of year, I have to take this opportunity to share a bit about why this particular Wonder Woman series and George Pérez means so much to me. :wondersquadron1:

I was very young and first learning to read when a wonderful human in my life took notice that I (:smile_cat: baby-Razzz) was a rambunctious little girl who also happened to enjoy drawing. They decided to give me a handful of old Wonder Woman comics to help me along. :open_book: For whatever reason, I couldn’t take my eyes off of George Perez’s covers, specifically this one:

Eventually I’d read more in this series, and read or watch more Wonder Woman, racing around trying to emulate every awesome thing she did, but I must’ve practiced reading and drawing this issue 1000 times. I still have that exact copy, and it has since been framed—not just as a memory of the person who gave it to me, but also as a reminder of the things I learned from this character :balance_scale: perseverance, truth and love, as well as a reminder of the gift of knowledge, imagination and art that was given to me so early in my life. I’m quite proud that Diana & Mr. Pérez are a part of my origin story. I’m certain it helped shaped the person I am, and I will always be grateful.

I’m also grateful to have a community like this one (where I can get nerdily sentimental like this and NO one will judge me!! :laughing:) So if you’ve read this far: Thank you for being here, and as always, I wish you blue skies, calm seas, more love, more light and more life. :clinking_glasses::purple_heart:Happy holidays.

21 Likes

:blue_heart: :blue_heart: :blue_heart:

Thank you for sharing your story with us, Razzz. And thank you for all you do for our community! :hugs:

8 Likes

This was beautiful! Thank you for sharing this story with us. I wish you all those things always as well. You should start an origin thread in the general discussion thread with this story highlighted! No pressure but would love to see others origination point as well coming from your story here.

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing that wonderful story! I love hearing what a great impact DC has had on people’s lives, and I always think it’s amazing how much of a difference something as simple as sharing a comic (or book, or movie) with someone can make. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I love how we find these characters as kids and they are with us the rest of our lives. There is something so magical about it. And it is great to find other people who are like minded so we can be fans together. :smile: :00_wonder_woman_stars:

9 Likes

I was upset about the news yesterday and didn’t want to be here, so I decided to read Wonder Woman comics to self- medicate! :wondersquadron1:
I’ve been meaning to read this for a while. I’ll be back when I’ve read more, but so far I see why it’s considered “landmark”, especially after digging in to some older comics that don’t have the same structure to her world. That video was really interesting, too so I’ve added more of his work to my reading list. :sweat_smile:

This is a great story, by the way. Thank you for sharing, Razzz, and for all the recommendations and for being so nice. Happy Holidays to you too. :yellow_heart:

8 Likes

My first revisit to this since World of Wonder!

I like the time taken to create the Amazons. It makes for a strong foundation for the character. As much as I like the masked competition, I prefer Thief Diana.

7 Likes

This is absolutely the best way to self-medicate. :blue_heart: I’m glad you came back to share your thoughts with us!

7 Likes

@Angel212 @CassTheStreet @Green.Lantern @SteveTrevor2.0 @Ultrasonic I’m happy you all could enjoy that story. :hugs::purple_heart:

I’ll tag you… over in the place with the things and the stuff :eyes: we’ll talk.

6 Likes

I actually prefer that too, AntLeon. :purple_heart: I think that was my fave thing about her film debut—they made sure to cover that spy-ness about her when she immediately snatched Bruce’s stuff. :nail_care: And then when she just waltzed in to the Batcave totally undetected in JL. :laughing: Ah, good times.

That’s awesome! :partying_face: I hope you enjoy it, and this run—however far you get. :books:

8 Likes

Challenge of the Gods is up this week! :blush: I have no shame in stating that she’s the only reason I watched those movies either.

7 Likes

Are there other reasons to watch them? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

7 Likes

:rofl: There’s not! I was bored when she wasn’t on screen. Same goes for Suicide Squad. I’m there for Harley.

8 Likes

All other parts of those movies:

7 Likes

Hi, Razz! :grinning: I did, I have not, the artwork and the updated ground work on Wonder Woman’s origin is top notch. I’m glad I got nudged to finally checked it out. The most notable thing for me is Cheetah. This is my favorite Cheetah, and I prefer the way Barbara has evolved in more recent comics to this appearance. Here, she feels like more of a debutante at first, like the other Cheetahs, which is on brand, but I like when she’s a more hand’s on scientist and her relationship with Diana.

8 Likes

Hey again! :wave: :smile: Glad to see you in all those books discussions! (It warms my heart that you’re reading both Wonder Woman and Poison Ivy right now, btw. :laughing::green_heart:) This is my fave Cheetah too. I already favored Barbara, but I think what sealed it for me was Rebirth.

Speaking of Cheetah…
While I’m here (and since we followed WW84 w/ this read for :nerd_face: several reason) here’s this panel that may look familiar.

12 Likes

Facts are facts. :woman_judge:t2: #science

9 Likes

Oh wow…yep, that checks out.

7 Likes