Wonder Squad | Book Club 3 | Spotlight: Nubia & Diana

:wondersquadron2: Hello and welcome to our first set of spotlights, everybody! :tada:

We put together a mixed bag of books from which you can choose your own adventure! We’ve also included some brand new arrivals to our library—even invited our friends from Birds of Prey over to join us in our Pride :00_dc_pride: festivities, so let’s dive in!

Nubia:

Diana:

This activity will be running ALL month long! Read one, read them all—the choice is yours!

:00_wonder_woman_gold: Reading begins: 6/1

:00_wonder_woman_gold: Discussion begins: As soon as you like! We just ask that you please try to blur spoilers. Did you enjoy it? Have you read it before? What did you think of the dialogue, plot or artwork? Anything at all about the reading you’d like to discuss—drop your thoughts below when you’re ready. :purple_heart: See ya soon!

:wondersquadron2: You can join or learn more about The Wonder Squad HERE.

11 Likes

:popcorn: Join us :point_right: HERE on 6/13 for a :00_wonder_woman_gold: Wonder Woman 5th Anniversary WAL and trivia activities this month! :tada:

If anyone is feeling particularly artistic (or if you just want to come check them out): We have Mood Boards! :star_struck: :wondersquadron1: Diana & Nubia

Here’s these beautiful new covers too btw. :purple_heart:

12 Likes

Okay :eyes: Who else here has been reading Dark Knights of Steel? Also, here’s this stuff—Nubia’s new series starts 6/7. :lion: We have discussion for it :point_down: here for anyone who plans to check it out.

DC Fan Art Club covered Dark Knights of Steel recently, if anyone wants to come by…

12 Likes

raises his knightly Kryptonian hand

Dark Knights of Steel is easily Tom Taylor’s best book that isn’t Nightwing.

The variant for #5 is one of my fav covers of the year, while #6’s variant ain’t too shabby, either.

6/7 is loaded with badass books, including DKOS #7. Weeks that are packed with multiple, highly-anticipated, new books make this guy very happy.

4 Likes

Cool! There are definitely some bangers in here, and looking foward to rereading them. :smiley:

3 Likes

this should sound dirtier than implied.

3 Likes

says the following in his admittedly snazzy British accent

Tell me guv, have you had bangers and mash?

“What, like s-”

Its food mate, British food! :grin:

Can’t start the day off for Queen and Country (#AllHailRucka) right until you enjoy a morning banger covered in mash.

1 Like

Yes. it’s a type of sausage. usually beef. served with mashed potatoes.

I considered including a sort of disclaimer such that I could control the innuendo.

2 Likes

“Innuendo”. :smirk: :full_moon_with_face:

Ah, the jokes (and…schtuff :shushing_face:) that are banging away in my fertile mental sponge as we speak…:smiling_imp:

Anyway, back to the WW-related things!

I’m enjoying Nubia, tons.

I read issues 1 and 6 when they came out, but passed on 2-5.

I recently scoped out #2 when it came here, and am very eager for 3-5.

Also, I’m down for some Nubia merchandise, especially action figures.

A t-shirt featuring #1’s cover art would be most welcome as well.

Speaking of Nubia, has anyone read Nubia: Real One?

I started it last year, but never managed to finish it (you can only read so much in the time you have, you know).

3 Likes

I finished the Batwoman story and thought it was very good. (I have read the other readings also but it’s been awhile…I’m just gonna focus on what this for now since I just read it for the first time). :world_of_wonder:

First off, I’ll be completely honest - I don’t love New52 Diana. Yes, she is a badass, but that is only one part of what makes her great. In New52 it seems like…her compassion is there, but it’s much more muted. Batwoman had to remind her way too often not to kill people/creatures. It’s not that Diana as I know her never kills, but it’s always a last resort and she certainly doesn’t enjoy it. Lots of talk about “being the sword/standing in the blood of my enemies”…that just doesn’t work for me and my experience with how Wonder Woman is most often represented.

Anyway, having said that, I’m never gonna complain about Diana showing up in comics I’m reading, and I really enjoyed seeing her team up with Kate. And we got some more of those really cool full-page spreads:

Also, I believe I’ve mentioned elsewhere my centipede phobia. Bleccccch. And to think I used to like the goddess Nyx. :nauseated_face:

You can say that again, Kate.

This was a cool story, though. Love the mixture of mythology and Gotham darkness. And the proposal at the end was lovely. More than anything I’m glad Kate told Maggie who she really is. Secret identities are just not good for relationships. :heart:

7 Likes

When I finished Nubia & The Amazons 2, my first thought was, “ending on a cliffhanger. @nu52 would be proud”.

I cannot remember finishing Black & Gold 6. I will have to read it again for the first time.

5 Likes

Finished the Batwoman. The best way to see Diana is through the eyes of another hero. Especially a mortal one. But I am more about the team up in general. some random thoughts:

• Batwoman’s red lettered narration is very easy on the eye (compared with the Batman who Laughs)
  • I did enjoy getting lost in Kate and Mags self torment about the other
  • Given how Pegasus, son of Medusa, was drawn, i am guessing it is from the more interesting interpretation of the Olympiad (punk Eris, old man Ares, et al)
  • I find myself wondering if Bones is just a reanimated skeleton or if all of him is invisible except said skeleton.
  • Abbott!
6 Likes

I gather Dark Knights of Steel is your average Elseworlds. I don’t know why I delayed reading the second issue, since Diana was not in the first. “Holy crap”, he understated. Other than that small cliffhanger and the brief intro to Diana, I am looking forward to Bruce telling Kal, “there’s something you need to know.”

5 Likes