Wonder Squad | Book Club 13: The Golden Age

Thank you for this explanation. I didn’t know anything about that side of the business, so it is interesting to hear from your experience.

:cry:

You’re welcome. I made it as a “thank you” to someone’s post once and I bring it out every now and again for a really good Wonder Woman post. :grinning:

3 Likes

First appearance action figure. Comes with a mini-comic:

It came in the mail while I happened to be catching up on the latest WW series, which was nice.

8 Likes

Ah the golden age. That was a delight.
I loved the culottes Diana had originally. I get that they would be turned into shorts shortly after because drawing flowing fabric is difficult, but gosh that was a delightful fashion choice I miss. Even if a number of people mistakenly mistook it for a skirt.

The golden age had alot of fun elements in its day which I adored. From the short lived existence of Diana as a nurse with a one of a kind manner of obtaining a secret identity.

To the reformation arc of the Baroness, making Diana the pioneer of the very concept of being able to convince villains to give up their evil ways.
Between her and Eve Brown, Diana was getting a focus on wanting to rehabilitate her enemies. Even founding Transformation/Reformation Island to try and make redemption a reality.
A tropical island is certainly a better location to try and help someone turn over a new leaf over a gothic mental asylum named after a Lovecraftian setpiece.

I especially enjoyed Ares during this period, with him operating within this vast realm of the Astral Plane and sending armies to collect those who died in battle to enslave and conscript into his armies. The notion that he travels to a multitude of worlds, manipulating events to further foster and spread war. Working to prevent one sides defeat just to drag the conflict on, growing in power for it.
Marston was a huge fan of Roman history so it is little surprise that alot of his mythological mannerisms take cues from their interpretation, and it really shows.

I also quite enjoyed the existence of the Duke of Deception, the Earl of Greed, and the Lord of Conquest. Three minions representing the evils that harass humanity and walk arm and arm with war. Its wonderfully on the nose and I just like this idea of god-like forces operating on a plane outside of our own, trying to manipulate things indirectly with their efforts.

And its not explored overmuch, but the Amazonettes and how Amzons are able to have children without needing a man is something that is alot more important than credit is given. That they have the freedom of choice and are able to independently choose motherhood.

Doctor Psychos original origin as an unknowing tool of the Duke of Deception who gave Psycho his powers. Complete with the power to steal the psychic abilities of others to materialize dream constructs. It was so delightful and while it lacks the sheer horror element that the simple mental manipulation of the modern interpretation, its a creative set of abilities that I wish to see more of.

and Priscilla Rich! I love how dramatic she is. A villain whose driven by her self esteem issues and envy to the point that she develops an evil split personality in her fursona that takes a stronger hold the lower her own self image gets. I especially like the reoccuring element of this interpretation wherin she is able to just brainwash people into serving under her in secret as undercover furries.
I wish an interpretation of Priscilla would make a return because gosh she is fun.

Queen Clea and the whole arc with the Atlantean country of Venturia was a delightful parallel to the Amazons. Establishing them as a dark counterpart, with a queen who in ways is like an evil Hippolyta complete with a daughter who supports her evil ways.
The story with Octavia was also quite nice. A sorta proto Artemis. An Atlantean who wants to emulate Wonder Woman but utterly lacking in her restraint or compassion, leading to a training arc where she has to learn self control.

And I dont care how controversial this is, but I still say golden age Giganta is best Giganta. A gorilla turned human who hates Diana for stealing away ‘her baby’!
Even if her introduction is the most confusing story in all of ever. XD

The Saturnites with the likes of Mephisto Saturno and Saturnette. Existing in an advanced society with automated labor wherin they maintain a slave trade by conquering other worlds, purely for entertainment. Operating purely through espionage and covert operations. I enjoy them for the sheer indirectness of it all.
And while one particular story featuring them doesnt quite make this reading list, I love how their later established to have the psychic ability to project ‘Don’t notice me! You can’t see me!’ mental blocker type invisibility. Villains who operate from the shadows with grand schemes of subtle conquest.
Doubly so in that it would eventually lead into a peace treaty between the two worlds and while this wouldn’t stop them from coming back as villains due to their indirect nature, it set up the concept of Wonder Woman as an ambassador which Perez would later pick up.

Hypnota is honestly a favorite of mine. I admit to being one of those who headcanons Hypnota to being a trans character and wish that we had more representation on that front in the comics. A shame the villain doesn’t show up very often, though with Doctor Psycho having a similar schtick now, it does kinda render Hypnota redundant.
Even if it also means Hypnota could potentially have a redemption arc that sticks.
I actually have a story idea with Hypnota which I keep with the dream of someday being able to see become a reality in the comics.

And of course Desira the fairy queen of Venus whose also heavily tied to the Astral Plane, established to give Diana the ability to see the astral plane and those who hail from it. A more benign and less menacing counterpart to Mars own manner of doing things in the same infinite space of imagination and conciousness. Just the sheer amount of potential just ripe for being explored!

And of course Aphrodite being established to call dibs on the unused Garden of Eden and getting one of the fairies of Venus to move in and begin populating it with her dreams given life. With of all things subterranean walrus people as an antagonistic force that they must contend with!

And of course the sheer random that is Shamrock Land and the whole idea that leprechauns and fae traveled from Ireland amongst a bunch of immigrants with the lot of them settling in a mystical realm buried beneath the redwood forests of California.
Complete with brick throwing contests, flying pig mounts, and a later canon that the leprechauns frequently leave for the outside world to spread joy to the hearts of children.

My favorite element of that period without a doubt though is how gosh darn action hero Etta Candy is. Swooping in to help however she can, leading a platoon to take on nazis, alien invaders, and gods alike. She was awesome.

The golden age had quite alot of delightful elements which I enjoy and it was a treat to take a moment and look back on it.

7 Likes

Excellent write-up. Always a pleasure to hear from another Golden Age connoisseur. :grinning:

100% agree with this. After a quick Mental Radio call, Etta and the Holliday girls coming in to bust heads was always a delight.

Agreed. That is my favorite costume. I like how the modern Wonder Woman armor is somewhat modeled on that look.

Yes, she was one of the best Golden Age villains.

The leprechaun typewriter story was an absolute gem.

5 Likes

It just floors me how leprechauns wound up becoming this wonderful and entertaining element of Wonder Woman lore. ^.^

4 Likes

Sorry i’m late! I read the all-star comic and decided to go back to the beginning. It’s fun so far. what I like the most about all of them is how perfect the timing is for her debut, given what was going on in the world. The quiz was fun too, even if I’m never very good at them, lol. I need to watch the movie still

5 Likes

No apologies necessary—no such thing as late. :purple_heart: And I agree that timing was perfect. I wonder what might’ve become of her if she had debuted even 5yrs later? Good thing we’ll never EVER know! :smile:

Anyway. In case you can’t find the movie, they removed it from HBOMax, but it’s free :point_down: on Tubi now. Watch Professor Marston and the Wonder Women (En) (201 - Free Movies | Tubi

Oh, and I meant to drop this here sooner, but better late than never, right? :see_no_evil:

7 Likes

An in full miniature facsimile, right? I believe there is a company that makes tiny old school spinner racks for those.

3 Likes

Yes, it is a facsimile but only contains the Wonder Woman part of the issue.

A spinner rack with a bunch of tiny comics would be so cool!

3 Likes

I found an article about it;

It is a very tempting purchase. :+1:

3 Likes

I finally got a chance to watch this, I really liked it a lot, thanks for recommending it!

5 Likes

Awesome :00_wonder_woman_gold: :black_heart: Glad you enjoyed it!

5 Likes