Wonder Squad | Book Club 1 | Gods of Gotham Pt. 1-4

Reading the first part of this again, one part that’s interesting to me that I don’t think was really mentioned yet is the awkward tension between Diana and Hippolyta. That’s something that’s been there since the start, but what is interesting is that unlike in the past, where the struggle is Hippolyta trying to keep Diana home and not be a superhero to man’s world, it’s the other way around. Diana sees Hippolyta going off to do stuff for the Justice Society and finding herself disapproving of her mother leaving her post.

It’s an interesting…I don’t know if moral dillema is the right word, but there’s some shade of grey. On one hand, Diana has a point in that the Queen of the Island should be around enough to know what’s going on in her kingdom (Queendom?). On the other…Diana basically did the same thing, so is it hypocritical for her to harp on her mother doing the same? I think it’s cool – Wonder Woman in the past has been mired for being considered too perfect and above everyone, so it’s good to see examples like this where she feels more human.

5 Likes

I let myself gloss over the role reversal. Hippolyta is often agenda-driven.

I was surprised that Batman’s first reaction was to say “I don’t need your help!” Did he stamp his feet too? If you are working with Oracle, backup is almost a guarantee.

There isn’t much WonderBat (If that what the 'ship is called) out there, but I like it. I might have to get that sort of fix from Owlman and Superwoman.

6 Likes

Making my way through this arc as I write.

Its the only thing from Jimenez’s WW run I hadn’t read, so this has been a fun treat.

Speaking of fun, I’d like to sing the praises of J.M. DeMatteis, the co-writer for 3/4 of this arc (Fun Fact: He’s worked on many DC franchises, prior to and after Wonder Woman).

His DC work (be it on the page, or on-screen, especially with regards to Justice League Unlimited) is grand, just grand, and Wonder Woman is no exception to that rule.

5 Likes

I let myself get to thinking. yes, dangerous, but I realized something: this is the only way we can get Batman & Wonder Woman team up stories. there are Superman/Batman books and Superman/Wonder Woman books. But Batman/Wonder Woman books are few and far between.

This is more of an observation than a complaint. The complaint is that there should be more of these kinds of stories.

4 Likes

@AntLeon Agree. There should be more Batman & Wonder Woman stories. Personally, I think they have a far more interesting team dynamic. :purple_heart:

8 Likes