Wonder Girl: DC's New Brazilian Wonder Woman Is Getting a CW Series

12 Likes

Wow interesting. She isnā€™t even out yet. But nice see some wonder in the Arrowverse.

7 Likes

Okay, DC, Iā€™ll read Future State! Gawd! :joy:

But in all seriousness, itā€™s great to see DC finally expanding upon the Wonder Woman-related mythology in other media the way they do, say, Batman or Superman. Hope this turns out well :+1:

9 Likes

Damn, I knew that Yara would show up in mainline books post-Future State, but I figured it would be with her own new identity. It also looks like the Deadline article that originally had this revealed that Joelle Jones will be writing and drawing a Wonder Girl series with Yara as the star.

Itā€™s cool, Iā€™ll definitely give it a look. The only thing Iā€™m a little apprehensive about is where this leaves Cassie. I hope they donā€™t leave her in limbo for this.

Also, Yaraā€™s Wonder Girl outfit is freaking AWESOME.

7 Likes

Now donā€™t get me wrong, having a Wonder Girl on the CW would be pretty cool, Iā€™ll definitely check it out when it premieres, and all the rest of that hoopla.

That said, I canā€™t help but consider the timing of these announcements. The ink on some of the layoffs isnā€™t even dry yet, and DC is teasing a show for a heroine whose comic books havenā€™t even come out yet.

Not to sound like a downer, just wanted to share that observation. In a separate thread, people were speculating about DCā€™s plans to potentially abandon print and focus on other entertainment platforms for their characters. It would be interesting to see if this is a sign of things to come :thinking:

4 Likes

Yeah the timing seemed odd on this, I guess that DC is trying to divert the press. But I do see DC limiting their print books to the most popular charactors.

Also have you noticed recently that DC (and Marvel) have been bringing back writers from the 90ā€™s who have not done any major books in a while? Noticed that Geoff Johns, Grant Morrision, and Scott Snyder are taking breaks from DC? I wonder if its because (Johns, Morrision, Snyder) charge to high a page rate. DC then hires the 90ā€™s writers since they havenā€™t been doing anything big for a while, they donā€™t get paid as well as they did 20 years ago.

3 Likes
7 Likes

Timing definitely odd. However, confused on where this leave Cassie if she sticks around after Future State. Idk whatā€™s with people in comics these days clamoring for more than 1 character in the same mantle simultaneously. I donā€™t like it and I donā€™t wanna see that unless theyā€™re from another universe which I also donā€™t wanna see.

4 Likes

Unless its the Flash, its my problem as well

The Big Two have had that problem for a while
Look what Marvel has done to Spider-Man. (Spider-Verse)

I see a lack of origanal superheroā€™s who are not legancy charactors.
But I guess I could always make up my own super hero.

1 Like

Sounds cool but I hope the CW can pull this off.

3 Likes

Iā€™d love to see a Yara series. It is one of the changes of Future State I am really curious about. Good call of CW.

3 Likes

i hope theyā€™ll be able to get Lynda Carter to cameo like on supergirl

4 Likes

Yeah, now Iā€™m kind of mad that they ā€œwastedā€ Carterā€™s cameo in the CW with the President Alien lady when now they could have brought her in for Wonder Girl as, say, Queen Hippolyta.

4 Likes

Yeah donā€™t even get me started on the Spider-Man situation. Donā€™t get me wrong I like Miles, but on his own earth and they need to stop bothering with rioded up version of Peterā€™s villains and another version of Peterā€™s old flame and actually give him him his own characters! He only has Prowler. And itā€™s like I get it Inti The Spider-verse was a great movie BUT EVERYTHING DOESNā€™T HAVE TO BE ABOUT THE ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  SPIDER-VERSE!!! Like cā€™mon now theyā€™re completely derailing a sinister 6 build up that Sony had been trying to do for ages so they can do another damn spider-verse movie and get rid of Tom since Marvel-Sony couldnā€™t agree on whatever the issue was :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::man_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™ve had similar gripes too, though I will say that the current Miles series written by Saladin Ahmed has been doing a pretty good job of giving Miles more of his own rogues gallery, potential love interests, and overall a different vibe from Peter. I donā€™t know if heā€™s quite THERE yet, but heā€™s been making great strides.

2 Likes

Iā€™m glad to hear it. Iā€™ll have to check that out eventually.

2 Likes

I read the first trade in anticipation for the game and itā€™s really cool. Oh, if you donā€™t have MU and you are okay with digital comics, they do have a sale on the digital trades over at Comixology right now and you can get the series up to issue 15 for less than ten bucks. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks! But TBH right now Iā€™m not worried about getting into reading Marvel. Iā€™m still trying to create a pull list from DC. I mean Nightwing and Titans are a must for me (once all this Ric stuff is tied up). Ik I like Wonder Woman but Iā€™ve only read Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiangā€™s run which I love I was so mad when they switched creative teams that I didnā€™t continue so I have to get back into her, still gotta read Batman Beyond 2.0 cuz the art is like a more mature version of the show, I wanna get into Aquaman, Stargirl, and Justice League Dark with no idea where to start. I have a whole reading list on this app Iā€™ve been too busy to touch! Marvel is just gonna have to wait.

1 Like

With Wonder Woman, thereā€™s a lot of great places to go with her books. You can go back to the Post-Crisis Wondy by George Perez, he does incredible work with her and is probably one of the most influential creators for the character. Phil Jimenez also does stellar work with the character, as well as Gail Simone.

With Aquaman, my suggestion would be to start with the New 52 run by Geoff Johns and just keep going from there. Itā€™s been one of the most consistently solid books in the past few years, so I highly recommend it.

Stargirl, if you havenā€™t read it yet, the Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E book that introduced the character is a great place to start.

Justice League Dark, I would definitely recommend the Jeff Lemire run, and J.M. DeMatteis did some cool stuff after he left. The current run by James Tynion is very good too ā€“ and has some great Wonder Woman content, so youā€™d be getting a two-for-one there!

But I feel you on so much reading to do ā€“ I have a lot of things I want to read not just from DC and Marvel, but Image, Dark Horse, Boom, and so much more. I know Iā€™ll probably never read all of it, but damn it if Iā€™m not gonna try! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah I still have a stack of novels Iā€™m trying to get through :sob::sob::sob: AND the author of my favorite books is putting out rewritten versions to reflect the current setting of the parks they take place in so I started rereading the ones I only got to read once when I read the others twice :roll_eyes::man_facepalming:t2: Imma be here foreverā€¦

3 Likes