Will The Snyder Cut Be Good? (Understanding Snyder's Style & Original DC Plan)

Yeah, I was just responding to this…

The trilogy he supposedly planned just doesn’t seem to work at all on a story level. The ideas are weird and don’t seem to have much purpose. I think the reason most people are confused by stuff like Bruce and Lois having a kid isn’t due to the fact it’s wildly uncharacteristic, but because it literally adds nothing to the plot until the very end.

Saying that something doesn’t seem to work at all on a story level, and doesn’t seem to have much purpose. And is “wildly uncharacteristic,” and doesn’t literally add anything to the plot until the end…

That to me was like, “Oh, he seems to see something wrong with this.”

So I was like, no, this is the story that Zack Snyder wanted to tell.

Ultimately though, the part that you quoted wasn’t addressed to you in specific and what you were saying.

That’s why I said specifically: "So that criticism to me seems as though, for some (many?), and in the general sense… "

So in the general sense is what I was talking about. Because I’ve seen more times than I can count how some have said how “out of character” Zack Snyder has portrayed certain characters.

That just rings to me that there is a mindset out there that these characters can only be a certain way, and that to me is just wrongheaded thinking. And DC characters in specific is what I’m talking about here, because those are the ones who I’m familiar with.

Later on through of course I addressed specifically what you were saying, but in this case this was in a general sense.

I was taking about that specific criticism and applying it in a general sense.

The answer to this depends on how important and major the event/plot device is. Bruce and Lois having a kid while Clark is dead is a pretty frickin big deal. That would have major consequences on the all three of them and the plot overall. You can’t just sweep it under the rug and then bring it back up after Bruce is dead to set up a new Batman.

Why can’t you sweep it under the rug and bring it back up later? That would be kind of the whole point of doing it. Or at least that would be kind of the whole point of that particular story.

We the audience would probably think it’s Superman and Lois Lane’s child, but no, it’s not. It’s Bruce Wayne and Lois Lane’s. That’s the story, that’s the twist.

Some may not like that twist, but, y’know, what can you do? It’s the story he wanted to tell. Some are going to like it and some aren’t.

And I read the whole storyboard of what Zack Snyder wanted to do and it was like… okay. He wanted to this, then this, then this, then that. Okay. Fine. I hope HBO Max and WarnerMedia decide to make this, it would be crazy and zany and cool. And very Zack Snyder. And hopefully available in a “Justice is Gray” version too. [insert smiley face]

And of course a lot of people may hate it, but again… whatever. A lot of people will probably like it too. And so it goes.

And then you move on to the next imaginary story, because a Zack Snyder Justice League trilogy of movies with Lois Lane and Bruce Wayne having a child while Superman is dead, and him growing up to be the next Batman is not the end of the world. It’s just the end of a set of movies. (Ha!)

And then they’ll do something else… like a Black Superman movie. Now, that there may cause some “The End is Here” signs to pop up. (And that was a joke.)

I really could not care less about how accurate these films would be to the comics. Superman and Lois, for example, has been doing a lot of new and different things with Clark and his kids that are literally nothing like what we’ve seen in the comics. But the show maintains continuity and gives those changes the proper amount of time and focus they deserve considering how much of an impact they would have on Clark’s life. To summarize my take as being upset about it not following the comics is extremely bad faith considering how I literally establish that as not being the issue very early on in my initial argument.

Yeah, read what I said again…

And ultimately, what it seems as though what you’re saying, that what Zack Snyder wanted to set up with Bruce Wayne and Lois Lane having a child, and that the reason behind doing this doesn’t pay off until the end of the story, that this is somehow “wrong” and doesn’t seem to have much purpose?

If that’s what you’re saying, then when would you have it pay off? Mid-way through the final film. Three-quarters of the way through? At the beginning of the final film, and that’s what the final film would be about?

So, y’know, it’s like what are we talking about here… what’s the real criticism here?

What I said had nothing to do with comic accuracy. So I wasn’t summarizing anything you said in regards to comic accuracy. I was talking about the leaked storyboards.

So… yeah. [insert smiley face]

I literally explain how narrative relevance is important in that quote when I discuss Logan. Beyond that, I follow it up with how shooting in black and white to create a dynamic and interesting shot requires very specific set ups during production that we know Zack didn’t do. You can sit here and say that there are no rules to filmmaking and that’s fine. I’d agree with you. But there are ways to take advantage of the black and white filter to at least make it visually interesting if you aren’t giving it a narrative purpose. It’s like slapping a black and white filter on The Avengers. Like, it does nothing visually because that’s not how the film was shot or planned.

Yes, I read and fully understood what you were saying in regards to Logan.

They did that in HBO’s Watchmen too.

So yes, I know what you’re talking about.

And it’s a practice that’s been done in contemporary movies, in which the whole movie is shot in black and white, and the whole movie was set in the present day – Spike Lee’s She’s Gotta Have It immediately comes to mind.

And Woody Allen’s Manhattan.

So yes, it can be used in a narrative purpose, and as a stylistic choice.

One thing on the black and white version:

“I’d like to shoot a black-and-white movie at some point. We’re finishing right now the black-and-white version of Justice League, and it’s called the Justice Is Gray Edition,” Snyder told I Minutemen. “That’s what I call it. Justice League: Justice Is Gray Edition. It’s not black-and-white as they say (laughs). But that’s the name of the black-and-white version.”

Snyder has described what is now called the Justice Is Gray Edition as the “most Justice League experience” and the “ideal version of the movie” because the long-fabled Snyder Cut was edited in black-and-white.

“My ideal version of the movie is the black-and-white IMAX version of the movie. That, to me, is the most fan-centric, most pure, most Justice League experience,” Snyder said in a November interview with The Film Junkee. “Because that’s how I lived with the movie for two years, in black-and-white.”

And it is visually interesting, isn’t it? [insert smiley face]

I mean, very few are looking at it as “ho-hum.” It causes a reaction, both pro and con.

And of course we’re free to watch it the way of we like. I’m going to watch both. And honestly, I like the black and white version of the teaser trailer the best.

And all of the marketing material being in black and white, or “Justice is Gray,” is visually interesting. I think, at least.

It makes it stand out from the rest of the super-hero schlock. And “schlock” of course being my opinion of everything else comic book movie-related; save for the Joker.

Beyond all that, I also follow up why doing the black and white edit could do a disservice to the purpose of costuming in this follow up edit I made:

As far as my criticisms of being pretentious, it’s literally one line in my initial response and is not something I embedded in the criticisms I made through out. My criticisms are mostly that the films are poorly written and underdeveloped from a narrative stance. Also, pop art has far more meaning and depth to it than you are portraying it as. Pop art isn’t just cool looking art pieces. It was a whole counter-movement from the era, but I don’t really care to get into all that right now.

You can disagree with me on him being pretentious as that’s totally subjective. But I have no interest in really focusing on it at the moment because it’s really not the core of my argument.

First, don’t presume how I am portraying something, because you may be surprised if there’s an underlying motive to it… [insert smiley face]

Case in point: it’s interesting that you bring up Pop Art as being a whole counter-movement to an era.

That describes Zack Snyder’s Justice League to a “T,” does it not?

There’s nothing else out there like it. Nothing. And it’s counter to every super-hero movie that we’ve had thus far.

And like art itself, it’s subjective, and sometimes polarizing.

Pop Art is about liking things.
-Andy Warhol

@NanoDeVice

I’m personally fine with exploring Elseworld’s version of these characters like the films you mentioned (whether or not I’d still have critique on the handling is dependent) but at the time of Zack’s plans from MoS, BvS, JL these aren’t considered Elseworlds but all part of the main-timeline for the franchise we’d be exposed to for however many years so I’m judging it more on that basis.

I just think for the first time bringing all these characters together on screen in featured films shouldn’t deviate too far away from the personality or traits that are more popularized within the canon.

Actually, I believe Zack Snyder never intended for his movies to be a part of a cinematic universe.

I could be wrong on that, but I believe that was Warner Bros.’ ambition, not his. They banked on that though of course and lost.

Whatever the case may be, thankfully now they’ve wised up and are now just going to tell the best stories possible.

And if it fits into a shared universe, then so be it.

And if not, then it won’t.

Like Todd Phillips’ the Joker is it’s own thing. And Matt Reeves’ The Batman will be it’s one thing.

If they’re good movies then they’re good movies. Shared universe or no. Popular canon versions or no.

DC shouldn’t chase after Marvel. They should do their own thing.

Don’t try to be like someone else is the lesson that they’ve finally learned, I believe. Hopefully they’ll be the better for it.

2 Likes

Yes
No
Chunks
Ollie of course

1 Like

Fair enough! I just figured since you were responding to me that you were directing most of your points at me. I’m not going to speak on behalf of everyone that dislike’s Snyder’s films nor do I assume you are speaking on behalf of everyone who likes them. Just wanted to make sure my perspective was crystal clear. :slightly_smiling_face:

If the Bruce and Lois thing were being built as a twist the audience doesn’t know about, then holding onto it til the end would be slightly okay. You would still need to do some set up work that showcases Bruce and Lois’ relationship ahead of time so that the viewer isn’t hit with narrative whiplash. A twist can’t just be something completely crazy out of nowhere. You need to do some build up to make it an earned twist.

All that said, this is not how I’ve seen this story beat portrayed thus far. The way I’ve been reading about it shows the audience knowing about it, then ignoring it for most of the trilogy to fight Darkseid, then returning to it last minute to set up the next Batman. Once again, this would be bad as Bruce and Lois having a kid is an incredibly big thing for all of the characters that (if we’re assuming these characters are real, living people) would impact their lives majorly. Not addressing it and having it as a key plot point only to throw it back at the end is just bad storytelling.

As far as the whole Justice is gray thing, that’s fine. I’m interested in it. I still think the way it was shot wasn’t set up to establish a dynamic or visually interesting black and white film. And none of the story beats that we’ve seen from Zack’s plan really set that through line or message up. In fact, most of his plan literally revolved around good vs. evil. The justice league vs. darkseid (and evil, mindbent Superman). He doesn’t really discuss or seem to point out that internal conflict that would need to be discussed in a trilogy with the theme of justice being gray.

All of this said, I wanted to check in that we’re good here. Some of your comments have come across as a bit passive-aggressive and I don’t want you to think I’m upset or trying to hate on you as a fan. It’s cool to disagree on things and have discussions on those disagreements. Just want to make sure everything is cool between us before this discussion goes on. I’m not out here trying to make any personal attacks or act like I’m better than you or fans of Snyder’s take.

4 Likes

@OmniLad

Yeah, I guess we all read into the leaked storyboards what we want to.

To me they were just beat for beat of what he wanted to do. Nothing more nothing less. You know, a storyboard. And I wouldn’t imagine much of any deep dives into the characters to be front and center on a storyboard. Just broad strokes.

He wanted to do this thing. And he set this thing up here. Then he wanted to do this other thing next. Then another thing. And another thing after that. Then come back around and address Bruce and Lois’ child.

And you know, it seems to really come down to how one views Bruce Wayne and Lois Lane having a child together in the first place, and the circumstances surrounding it.

It doesn’t phase me at all. I can see by the way that you talk about it though that you would have concerns. So there’s a lot of it right there.

I’m one of those people of course who cannot stand the marriage between Superman and Lois Lane. Never have. I didn’t like it from the minute they did it.

Superman and Lois Lane’s relationship in the Zack Snyder movies is fine to me though.

Either way, learning of Zack Snyder’s plan for Bruce Wayne and Lois Lane to me was like, “Okay… fine.”

All I could ask for after that is did he have any plans for Superman and Wonder Woman together? Do a Frank Miller or something? That I think would have been the greatest thing in the world.

So yeah, it really seems to come down to what you’re bringing into it.

But yeah, it’s a storyboard. Broad strokes. That’s it.

And yes, it does jump 20 years later, so it doesn’t look as though Zack Snyder was going to address much of it anyway. It looks to be just one of those “cool” things to do just for the sake of doing it.

So if anyone wanted any kind of deep dive into it then they probably would have been disappointed. So yeah…

And of course I don’t really think Zack Snyder is trying to tell any kind of “deep” story or anything. No, he seems to be a purely “cool visuals” kind of filmmaker. And that’s perfectly fine to me. Let someone else make a “deep” super-hero movie if they want to.

If JJ Abrams and Ta-Nehisi Coates’ want to go a little “deep” on whatever it may be that they want to do with Superman then perfect. Or they may just want to go for “cool visuals” too. Doubtful on that, but we’ll see.

And yeah, the “Justice is Gray” version is obviously just because he thought it looked cool.

I gave a possible narrative reason because we haven’t seen the four-hour movie yet, so who knows what exactly it is that he’s doing. But I personally don’t think that’s the reason.

No, the “Justice is Gray” version exists because of what Zack Snyder said…

Snyder has described what is now called the Justice Is Gray Edition as the “most Justice League experience” and the “ideal version of the movie” because the long-fabled Snyder Cut was edited in black-and-white.

“My ideal version of the movie is the black-and-white IMAX version of the movie. That, to me, is the most fan-centric, most pure, most Justice League experience,” Snyder said in a November interview with The Film Junkee . “Because that’s how I lived with the movie for two years, in black-and-white.”

And…

I understand that people want to see it in color, and that’s great, and I really want them to enjoy it in color. But for me, the ultimate version is the black and white IMAX version of the movie, which is sort of the penultimate ridiculous movie that shouldn’t exist at its highest most fetishistic level, and I really, really love that.

So it exists because it can. And I don’t think there’s anything any deeper to it than that. It exists because it looks cool to him.

And it does look cool. (Ha!)

And no worries. And it’s usually the other around.

Usually it seems that people who are critics of Zack Snyder, and critical of the Snyder Cut, feel that the fans of Zack Snyder and the Snyder Cut think that they’re better than them.

And some of us are. We’re more evolved.

And that was a joke… or was it? (Ha!)

How’s that for passive-aggressive? [insert smiley face]

(Seriously though, I’m joking.)

1 Like

All I’ll say on the Lois and Bruce thing is I literally don’t care if they have a kid. The reason I said it’d be uncharacteristic is because there’s just zero set up for it within his own movies (not even talking about the comics or other things). And, like I said, if he did it he would have to put time into it to make it compelling and interesting for me. Once again, this would be a pretty big deal for all three characters. It shouldn’t just be swept under the rug for 20 years considering how much impact it would have on people like them (if we treat them as though they’re real and minds work like real people). I think we both agree that that wasn’t going to happen as you point out. Which is why I just think it’s a weird idea to include. It’s so big yet it seemingly doesn’t impact the proposed plot at all and didn’t really build into anything compelling. I’m cool with Bruce and Lois hooking up and having a kid, I just want it to be written well and have narrative substance (not even thematic).

I agree that Zack is a good visual director. His movies are undeniably gorgeous. I just want a little more substance and compelling narratives while watching a movie (especially with these characters that hold so much potential and influence in pop culture). I just think he’d be better off as a cinematographer or working on different films (ie. his new Army of the Dead film for example).

Not sure there’s much else to add here, but I think we’ve both said our piece and had a good convo. Thanks for sharing your pov!

1 Like

@OmniLad

Well, you would assume it would be set up somewhere in this upcoming four-hour movie.

That part from the leaked storyboards implies as much…

So it’s all there. It’s something that would have been touched upon in the second Justice League movie, and resolved in the third Justice League movie. So yeah.

And yeah, I guess I ultimately don’t really expect anything really meaningful or “deep” or substantive from a Justice League movie. Or from a Zack Snyder movie period. I just don’t. That’s not the kind of filmmaker he is.

And by that same token, I don’t really expect much from Matt Reeves’ The Batman other than a surface-level “coolness.” A perhaps grounded, visceral, surface-level coolness.

I was a little surprised that Todd Phillips’ Joker movie went a little “deep.” And of course I think it’s the greatest comic book movie ever made. That was a different kind of movie though.

As for JJ Abrams and Ta-Nehisi Coates’ Superman… since Ta-Nehisi Coates is involved I expect some kind of meaningful substance. Otherwise why would Warner Bros. bring him in. So I suspect that movie may try and say something.

But yep…

1 Like

If @OmniLad and @ds090ddsl do a podcast review of Zach Snyder’s Justice League I would be there for it.

5 Likes

I’m just jumping in here to say that I’m pretty sure you all here on this board put more thought into Snyder’s film than Snyder did himself.

3 Likes

Haha! That certainly would be an interesting discussion. But I’m honestly not sure when I’ll get around to watching it since I’m not sure I’m quite ready to dedicate four hours towards a movie I know I really have no interest in.

That said, the second I get around to it, I’ll be sure to share my thoughts and tag @ds090ddsl so they can respond and share a different perspective on my takes. A podcast would certainly be interesting though, I have to admit.

2 Likes

I just took a personal day for March 18th. I feel like I need to clean myself, because I feel guilty about not working. It’s that whole responsibility thing. But, since I never take personal days, I figured, March 18th is a good day to do it. The kids will be off to school, wife works at the hospital(should I even tell her?), yeah, next Thursday is gonna be good!

4 Likes

I did not like Man of Steel at all - it took me 3 tries to get through it - but I think the Director’s Cut of BvS was worthy of more than one viewing and I generally have mixed to positive views about it. Certain scenes stick with me to this day. I think the worst thing about it was the marketing scheme, posing as the ‘vs’ film, when that’s not what it was. I recently enough rewatched BvS and don’t intend to do so so soon again, but I do find more reasons to enjoy it with every watch.

With the Snyder Cut, I think it’s less of “will it be good/will it be bad” and more of a celebration, for better or worse, of a vision realized. And that is something I believe laudable in its own right, for the pure artistry of the thing. It doesn’t have to be high cinema for it to be artistry. It doesn’t have to be ‘good’ to be a realization and worthy. Of course, ‘good’ is subjective, clearly. I don’t think we can say if it is good or not, only if it is successful in achieving its goals and vision.

I do think that I, personally, will enjoy it. I think that more, while not always better, is definitely the appropriate answer to the story that has been presented to us. Clearly the Whedon effort did not suffice because it read like Act 1 and 2 of an incomplete story.

I really think the problem is ‘comparison’. Nothing can be for everyone. No one is universally satisfied, especially when it comes to these sorts of defining characters. That’s why I really like the comparison with ‘Elseworlds’ here. It will be what it will be.

Ultimately, I guess my TL;DR is that there doesn’t need to be an answer. Cinema doesn’t exist to be inherently ‘liked’ and when that is its sole purpose, it’s hollow, even. I don’t think, despite the fact that the Snyder Cut was demanded by the populous, it was created for them. The fact that Snyder opted out of being compensated (supposedly)(I doubled checked and this does in fact appear to be the case) says more to me about this as a passion project than anything else. And the realization of that is more than worth 4 hours of my life.

EDIT: It might be contextually helpful to know that I’m a big fan of Twin Peaks and in particular its 3rd season. If you know anything about that and how it came to be, you can understand my perspective with little effort.

2 Likes

I understand they have digitally added Dougie as Steppenwolf’s ominous overload :smile:

2 Likes

A New York Times interview, via CBR…

Snyder recently spoke to The New York Times and revealed his original vision for the DCEU and explained that it was never intended to compete with the MCU. “Marvel is doing something else. They’re doing, at the highest level, this popular action-comedy with a heart. And they have that nailed. An effort to duplicate that is insanity because they’re so good at it.” He continued by highlighting the unique feature that Warner Bros.’ universe had, “What DC had was mythology at an epic level, and we were going to take them on this amazing journey. Frankly, I was the only one saying that.”

That about sums it up, I think.

Marvel is doing their thing, and doing it well for that audience.

And Zack Snyder is doing his thing, and doing it well for his audience.

And DC and Warner Bros. will eventually get a “thing” of their own and hopefully do that well too. [insert smiley face]

EDIT:

Oh, and this bit too from Zack Snyder…

BvS, love it or hate it, it’s probably the most mentioned movie in hashtags and references. It’s the closest thing to a cult film that could exist at this level of pop culture. Am I a provocateur? A little bit. Is my job to make some pop-culture piece of candy that you eat and forget about the next day? Nah. I would rather [expletive] you up in a movie than make it nice and pretty for everybody. Let’s be frank, there’s no cult of Aquaman. Jason is a force of nature, and by all means, I want there to be 100 Aquaman movies because he’s an awesome guy. But it’s not controversial. And I have purposely, because I love it, made the movies difficult.

Yep. Never be generic.

If you’re going to do something, then do it. [insert smiley face]

3 Likes

Well, initial slew of critic reviews on Metacritic has it at 54, which is 9 points ahead of Whedon’s version.

I think we put way too much importance on Rotten Tomatoes, but this is still pretty exciting to see given that RT seems to be the prism through which society judges films and their reception! There was no way it was going to be in the 80-90’s, but given Snyder’s work isn’t for everyone, a 74% is great!

The most frequent grade given out on Metacritic is a 50.

Recognizing that this is the same crowd that GAVE us the Whedon version (by acting like Dawn of Justice was some crime against humanity, prompting WB to do major revisions on JL) it is likely that that initial rating will come down. WW84 dropped 13% from the ratings it was getting its first day. If we were to see the same drop with the Snyder Cut, that would put it down at 49 or 50, which is still improvement over the Whedon version

1 Like

Wonder Woman 1984 went from 89% to 59% on Rotten Tomatoes once the haters (and the hater fasionistas) got done piling on, so God help anyone placing any reliance on that score. The Snyder Cut does not figure to get any more good will exended to it than WW84

Maybe, but the first impression is what most remember. Opening that well on RT is a win.

1 Like

It’s rooted in comic-book convention, but it’s now told with a skillful grandeur that trumps the “Avengers” saga.

Again, as the cool kids used to say… that’s what’s up.

2 Likes

Meaning better, not good but better. For now.