šŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ WildStorm Universe Celebrates Pride Month with The Authority šŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ

Happy :00_dc_pride: Pride Month :00_dc_pride:, @TheWildstormUniverse!

To kick off the festivities for Pride Month in The Wild and Wonderful WildStorm Wayā„¢, weā€™ll be taking a look at the original volume of The Authority, starring openly gay heroes Apollo and Midnighter, along with Jenny Sparks, Jack Hawksmoor, the Engineer and Shen Li-Min!

"Iā€™m brand-new to WildStorm. What is it, what exactly is The Authority and why should I read it?"

Welcome to WildStorm, the Jim Lee-created imprint thatā€™s packed with:

:boom: The greatest and most epic pantheon of super heroes and villains located just outside the DC Universe.

DC and WildStorm crossovers tend to be frequent, so keep an eye out, as you just might see your DC favs alongside some new faces and names that will become your new favorite heroes and villains!

:sunglasses: Spies.

If you like spies, WildStorm is definitely for you! :index_pointing_at_the_viewer:

:earth_americas: Geopolitical intrigue.

Fancy an adventure worthy of Tom Clancy and the like? WildStorm has you covered, friend!

:tv: Sci-fi, fantasy, movie/TV tie-ins and more!

Mind-bending sci-fi, epic fantasy tales worthy of Tolkien, Brooks and more and tie-ins to some of your favorite movies, TV shows, video games and beyond are absolutely under the WildStorm banner.

If you like comics, cool stuff, things that donā€™t suck, discovering new imprints, franchises and characters within DC that will make you say ā€œI never knew how badly I needed WildStorm until just now!ā€ and things that are cool and ultra-badass, then trust me, you will absolutely fall in love with WildStorm!

As for The Authority, theyā€™re the team supreme of skull-cracking hardasses in the WildStorm Universe.

When trouble brews its ugly head, :notes: ā€œyou know who to callā€ :notes: and it most definitely is NOT the Teen Titans!

Just why should you read issues 1-4 of this series? :point_down:t2:

Because its the beginning of The Authority, your next canā€™t-miss, page-turning, must-read, comic obsession!
:metal:t2: :nerd_face:

To say anything more is to ruin the fun, mind-bending trip that is The Authority and I will not ruin your fun, so dive in and have fun at the very beginning of WildStormā€™s greatest collection of dimension-hopping, day-saving, skull-cracking heroes that areā€¦The Authority.

Also: For more of the WildStormā€™s best and most badass, check :point_right:t2: this :point_left:t2: out!

Have fun and Happy Pride Month, WildStorm Universe!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve read these few issues before, and I really like it, for the most part. I liked how they were able to catch you up on who these characters are while still doing itā€™s own new thing. The Brian Hitch art is incredible, and while we donā€™t get super deep into the characters, thereā€™s just enough there to tantalize and make you want to see more.

If thereā€™s one criticism I have for this story, and itā€™s honestly a big one, itā€™s the villain. Likeā€¦why are we doing Fu Manchu stereotype evil villains? Iā€™m pretty sure that crap was looked down on even in 1999. I remember first seeing this and wondering if maybe Ellis was going to do a subversion of it, butā€¦no, itā€™s played painfully straight, and just in terms of threat he is a strong villain, but it just feels kinda gross.

1 Like

Hitchā€™s art is what originally drew me to this series.

If memory serves, I discovered The Authority right around when I first read The Ultimates. Having that one-two punch of Hitch badassery forever cemented him as one of my favorite ā€œspectacle artistsā€.

Have you read any of the other Authority series, @Jay_Kay?

1 Like

Iā€™ve read a little bit further into Ellisā€™ Authority, and if youā€™re willing to count it, some of Orlandoā€™s Midnighter and the New 52 Stormwatch. I do plan on reading more, though from what Iā€™ve seen, some later arcs become a littleā€¦edgy for the sake of being edgy for my taste. By that I mean Mark Millar. :sweat_smile:

Also, have to be honest, for a split second I almost wrote ā€œMoonnighterā€ and I had to stop myself. Apparently I got my night-based ultra-violent vigilantes who hears voices in their heads confused. :rofl:

2 Likes

Oh, I might. :point_down:t2: :wink:

The New 52 Stormwatch will probably come along at some point, too.

2 Likes