Why The World Needs Superman

That reminds me of one of my favorite Tommy Lee Jones movies, The Fugitive.

“Well ****, Sheriff. I guess I’m just going to have to take over your investigation, now.”

4 Likes

Now I want a Vader/Superman fight.

Aaand… I’ve completely derailed the thread!

Never mind me folks… moving along.

5 Likes

But we do…and he did

4 Likes

5 Likes

Did Alex Ross draw that? It reminds me of his work.

4 Likes

He did.

5 Likes

I think you hit the nail right on the head. I don’t think “pure of heart” heroes (as I like to call them), like Doc Savage, Superman, or the original Captain Marvel ever go out of style. I don’t like mentioning the Marvelous Competition here, but they have an example of a character who is pure of heart and still popular: Captain America. If WB just handled the character better, I think Supes would make a major comeback.

4 Likes

It’s interesting. As someone who doesn’t read much Superman, it doesn’t make me love the character any less.

Superman is undeniably one of the most iconic figures of all time. People all around the world recognize, love, and look up to this unbelievable character. They’ve done so for the past 80 years and will surely continue to do so for many more.

I think the only other superhero that is anywhere close in iconicity would be Spider-Man. This is so interesting to me when I think about it because I think their popularity is for completely different reasons. People love the idea of Spider-Man because it’s a mantel that represents an average person given extraordinary (regardless of background, class, race, or gender identity). It’s cliche, but true. Spider-Man is popular because ANYONE could be under that mask.

Superman, on the other hand, isn’t an “every man” style character in the same way Spidey is. He’s so much more than any single person could be capable of aspiring to be. Superman, instead, represents not what greatness allows anyone to do, but what kindness does to the world when people with advantages in life CHOOSE to do things in order to make the world around them better. He is unique.

That said, perhaps Superman’s timeless charm has nothing to do with his outrageous and amazing abilities. Instead, it has everything to do with the kindness and compassion in his heart in spite of his powers. And while that may not mean perfectly saving the day every single time, it does mean he’s always trying. Not only that, but Clark Kent’s entire origin is symbolism for the greatness that can come from OUR choice of kindness towards those we are unfamiliar with. There would be NO SUPERMAN if it weren’t for the Kents choosing to help out a lost individual who simply needed love and support.

That’s what that red and yellow “S” symbolizes across the world. And those values are true of every Superman out there. Whether it’s Clark Kent, Kara Danvers, John Henry Irons, Kong Kenan, Jon Kent, and HECK even Krypto!!!

That’s why the world needs Superman. To remind us to always use our powers, advantages, and strengths to better the lives of everyone around us. To always choose kindness and compassion. Should we ever waiver in those values, Superman will always be there to show us the way towards Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow.

6 Likes

Beautifully put @OmniLad

Love every word :+1:

3 Likes

Precisely. If they can make Cap work, Superman shouldn’t be a problem at all.

3 Likes

I think it goes back to us. No one can be pure of heart, they have to have some ulterior motive. That’s how we see it.

3 Likes

Great post, Reaganfan! I’m more of a Batman fan than a Superman fan, but the film Batman v. Superman made me really fall in love with the Big Blue Boyscout (not the usual reaction, I think, but it’s what did it for me!) Before that movie, I didn’t really understand why Superman didn’t spend every second flying around saving everyone - but that movie made me understand that he needs to live with us, to love us and see the world through our eyes, so he doesn’t become a cold and aloof god.

Stories like Up in the Sky, Hero of Metropolis, Byrne’s Man of Steel, and so many more just highlight that he loves all of us, and inspires us to love each other too.

6 Likes

Thing is, while we may look at history through rose-colored glasses, people had pretty good reason to be cynical in 1938, too. Hitler was on the march in Europe, with plenty of supporters abroad. The USA was still in the grip of the Great Depression. Heck, a hurricane tore through Long Island and New England.

And yet, through all of that, Superman flew.

(OK, he leaped 1/8th of a mile. Shut up, nerds.)

Perry is right about one thing, though: Freedom of the press belongs to the owner of the press. Clark likely isn’t the first reporter to chafe under that fact.

5 Likes

Something positive said about BvS? This post just made my DC morning :smile:

6 Likes

Need me to balance it by insulting it?

5 Likes

Nah, that would be par for the course. The fact that you’re asking that question, though? Not sure what that says about you, Bruce… tsk tsk.

4 Likes

It means I was stuck saving that movie because I’m Batman.

5 Likes

Arrogant, but I still love you, Clark, and Diana in the movie… so arrogance forgiven.

4 Likes

My batarrogance is amazing.

3 Likes

Dude, you like Byrne’s Superman? Keen!

I was unaware of that, but am very pleasantly surprised to see it, as Byrne’s Superman is my all-time favorite Superman run.

I’mma buy you a Sprite! :grin:

4 Likes