Why the Crazy Batman New 52 Reading Orders?!

Hello all! I wonder if any seasoned comic aficionados could explain to me the crazy reading orders I’m finding online for reading the New 52 Batman. First, I already understand that the story interweaves with several titles, so I already understand why, for instance, Suicide Squad or Nightwing readings show up that my not start with #1, because the crossover may come in the middle of whatever other series it may be.
What I do not understand, is that sometimes I see Batman titles listed out of order! For instance, this is from a reading order I found online. It is only the first section subtitled “Zero Year”. Notice that it starts with Batman #0 and then jumps/skips all the way to #21!:
ZERO YEAR

• Batman #0
  • Batman #21
  • Batman #22
  • Batman #23
  • Batman Annual #2
  • Batman #24
  • Detective Comics #25
  • Batwing #25
  • Action Comics #25
  • Green Arrow #25
  • Batman #25
  • Nightwing #25
  • Batgirl #25
  • Green Lantern Corps #25
  • Red Hood and the Outlaws #25
  • Batwoman #25
  • Birds of Prey #25
  • Catwoman #25
  • The Flash #25
  • Batman #26
  • Batman #27
  • Batman #29
  • Batman #30
  • Batman #31
  • Batman #32
  • Batman #33

Why would someone not just read, say the New 52 Batman and Detective Comics in order from #0 on, and just insert whatever crossovers come up along the way?

1 Like

Here is the link to the full reading order to which I am referring. You will see other anomalies, such as Batman: The Dark Knight #9 popping into the list with no mention of the rest of Batman the Dark Knight up to that point!
[CHARACTER] New 52 Batman Reading Order (Issue by Issue) : comicreadingorders (reddit.com)

1 Like

It looks like this list is more concerned w/ putting the issues in chronological order instead of release order. It’s certainly an interesting aspect to consider, though I feel like release order is still better if you’re reading a title for the 1st time

6 Likes

Zero Year was a flashback type arc that happened in New 52. I assume this list is chronological order and not reading order. When I read New 52 Batman I just started with #1 and read in order. I had no trouble that way.

I’m not sure about the crossovers though. It has been a while. I think each issue in the events and crossovers, tell you at the end which one to go to next.

4 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts, @arkhamassassin & @Row.Harper. What you’re saying makes sense. I think I’ll just read them in the release order. It seems Detective Comics may be more or less concurrent with the Snyder run, so I may pick those up and read them at the same time…
You know, it would be so much more convenient if DC would just release everything in Omnibi consistently as they went along; it would make collecting and reading these massive stories so much easier.

4 Likes

Not including the missing issues u referred to, there is an order in which it fits. As mentioned above it is a flashback scenario but bleeds into (not in this exact order some predated some follow) I do have an order written down in my notebooks but it seems like everyone sorted it out) War of Jokes & Riddles, Bruce Wayne Fugitive, Bruce Wayne Murderer etc. this is by far not the exact reading order. Just a scrap of some of (barely any just dropped a few that connect there’s plenty more) titles involved. The link above seems like you’re in the right hands. There’s multiple ways to go about reading orders. I do have one that fits in with zero year. If? You really want I could dig it out. But the above orders u have, are proper. Hope u enjoy!!!

Thanks for the offer, @capo-mage, I do appreciate it, but I think I’ll just read in more-or-less release order… However, I may read the Batman Zero Year first (I am aware that was released later but is a backstory).

1 Like

No problem sounds like u got it handled. Hope u enjoy!!!

1 Like

Detective Comics didn’t really affect the Batman title during New 52 that I remember. I read Batman straight issue by issue and didn’t feel like I missed anything other then a few references to Batman Eternal at the beginning of The endgame arc. I imagine the only effect on Detective was after the endgame story arc in Batman. Don’t know if this helps

1 Like