Why is it hard to properly cast Lois Lane?!?

@nu52 Like I said I really did Ms. Adams. But she’s not very “Loisy.” And whats with DC related shows and movies not adapting default hair colors, and if someone says “Multiverse,” I’m going jump through my computer, out through yours and throw up on you!

1 Like
  • To explain my previous question. The last two Lois’, both new Barry Allens etc. Actually no one else comes to mind. For the Barry’s I’m sure the reason is dude to unfair stigmas involving blonde haired, blue eyed white men these days.

But that’s ALL I’m going to say on that. :slightly_smiling_face:

(@Vroom: it wasn’t supposed to, that was the joke)

I think Lois is difficult to portray because she can easily come off as being ridiculously/stupidly reckless instead of being dedicated and brave. Her sassiness can come off as mean spirited instead of spunky.

There are very few iterations of Lois Lane that I actually like. I think she has a very difficult tone to master on the page or the screen.

1 Like

:heart: Amy Adams is the best Lois Lane :heart:

1 Like

I thought Erica Durance nailed Lois well on Lois and Clark. And thought she was portrayed well enough in the Brendon Fraiser Superman.

Go home, Dan. You’re drunk. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Erica Durance was on Smallville, Teri Hatcher was on Lois & Clark. And while Brendon Fraser hasn’t portrayed THE Man of Steel (Brandon Routh did), he is currently playing the part of a Robot of Steel right here on DCU.

As to the OP’s topic - I actually think we’ve had some pretty darn awesome choices for Lois, going all the way back to Noel Neill.

1 Like

Erica Durance is my favorite Lois without a doubt. After that things get a little cloudy because I love Dana Delany in Superman: The Animated Series and Amy Adams in Man of Steel. I would at least have a better understanding of people having a issue with a red headed Lois if she wasn’t a red head around the Death of Superman era. I know some people might see her hair color at that time as a light brown but I have always seem it as a darker red.

As for Margot Kidder I’ve cooled on her over the years because I hate that they can’t get past the constant Christopher Reeve 's movie references. I get it the first two are beloved and at least the first one is a all time great comic book movie but can we move past what seems like every version of a live action SM and Lois seeming the constantly having to have some kind of reference. I mean the newest Lois was immediately said to resemble Margot Kidder and I thought the same. Maybe it was just a coincidence but with the way the CW SM is compared to Christopher Reeve I don’t think it is.

Also Terri Hatcher was better than I remembered because it seemed like there was a period where people hated on Lois and Clark more often than not. I actually had started to think I was romanticizing what I remembered about L&C.

1 Like

I’m mostly fine with actors having different hair colors than their comic book counterparts.

Amy Adams absolutely dominates Jennifer Lawrence in the Acting Department, but Lawrence has the traditionally comic accurate hair color of Lois. I’ll take Adams.

Plus, Lois has been drawn with brown hair before as well as the aforementioned red in the early 90’s, so Amy Adams playing a redhead Lois is accurate to a certain percentage of the source material.

1 Like

I loved Amy Adams’ Lois. It’s a nice new take. I don’t like the Arrowverse Lois. Margot Kidder is pretty good. Erica Durance is one of my favs. There’s also S:TAS Lois that I really enjoy.

@Super-Squirrel Damn I was drunk… what happens when I post when I am tired. Sorry for the lunacy. lol

2 Likes

I think we are forgetting the Arrowverse Lois who’s well cast (so far)

1 Like

@Nathan.Payson I’m not! Bitsie Tulloch! I love her Lois. I’d watch a show just about her.

I thought Amy Adam’s was a great Lois Lane. The only time in a Superman movie where Lois wasnt written as a complete moron. She was believably an investigative journalist. This is also what a strong, smart woman looks like in the real world. I’ve tried very hard to see the problem everyone else has with her a Lane, but I cant see it. Not surprising as the usual reasoning is “she just isnt good for the role” which says nothing at all, as if the people themselves cant justify their dissatisfaction.
Some people think the perfect Lois is in “The Hudsucker Proxy” portrayed by Jennifer Jason Leigh, but a version like that would only work with a comedic tone.

I also liked Teri Hatcher, but she was still very much in a sitcom. Erica Durance was just hot, that is literally the only remarkable trait of that Lois.

2 Likes

Margot Kidder was horribly miscast as Lois Lane, and then pulled it off magnificently. Amy Adams has a little bit of the same problem, but I’m with Zombody on this one-- I don’t see the problem with her portrayal of the character. She rocks the part, even if if she seems to some as an odd choice. Erica Durance and the Smallville version of Lois resonated for both the viewers and the writers at the time-- her part in Smallville was originally meant to be small. Her work stands as well. Elisabeth Tulloch played her role in Elseworlds really strongly, too.

I will defend Teri Hatcher to the haters’ dying breathes LOL.

How does everyone feel about Phyllis Coates VS Noel Neill?

1 Like

@Zombedy when do you think Lois has been written as a moron?

I think the moron thing is because Lois doesn’t see through Clark’s act. Well you also have such things as Margot Kidder risking her life to prove Clark is Superman. To be honest I think SM kinda comes off looking bad also because instead of just saving Lois he seems to worry as much about protecting his secret as saving Lois.

I don’t think the Arrowverse Lois has done enough to say she good or not. I don’t feel comfortable saying Rebecca Romijn is a good Lois because I not sure she’s had enough screen time.

2 Likes

“Phillis vs. Noel: Dawn of Lois”. Coming to theaters never.

I’m in the Noel camp on this one. She gets Brownie Points for her cameo in Superman: The Movie and her dialogue in the Expanded Cut of it.

It’s currently hard to cast Lois Lane because Teri Hatcher has done already done the part.

2 Likes

@baseballmaniac hard to argue with that logic