Why Is Everyone Trashing Titans Now That Doom Patrol Is Out?

In my opinion, the first three episodes of Titans were better than the first three episodes of Doom Patrol. Doom Patrol is fun with better cgi and all but so far Titans was a more intriguing story.

7 Likes

Titans was a mixed bag for me personally. If you preferred it then hey thatā€™s ok. Stick to your guns and dig what you dig!

2 Likes

I loved Titans

2 Likes

I loved both.

1 Like

I havenā€™t seen much trashing. Simply that Doom Patrol is better already for many reasons.

I like Titans a whole lot but Doom Patrolā€¦I love it! Iā€™ll likely enjoy Swamp Thing the most by default and biased because I like the character in general than most Titans and Doom Patrol

1 Like

I hear ā€œtrashingā€ and think of a line Jonny Lee Millerā€™s character (Dade Murphy) said in the movie Hackers.

Anywho, I havenā€™t seen any uptick in Titans badmouthing. I like the show heaps, but vastly prefer Doom Patrol at where it is right now compared to where Titans was at the three episode mark. Different strokes for different folks as the saying goes.

4 Likes

Who is trashing what? LOL Hey I like both and they are different to be sure but isnā€™t that what we want? If Doom Patrol was basically just a copy of Titans with different actors playing different super heroes ā€¦ what is the point in having both? I do think I like Doom Patrol a little better ā€¦ thatā€™s just a personal choice because the characters are quirky and AT TIMES hysterical ā€¦ (yeah thatā€™s right my favorite is Crazy Jane) but both shows give us good stories and are fun to watch.

2 Likes

To be honest, even though I like Titans, Iā€™m enjoying Doom Patrol more than I did Titans. Iā€™m way more engaged and having more fun watching Doom Patrol. Hopefully when they released Titans they figured out what worked the best for the show and what didnā€™t in order to make Season 2 and beyond even better.

3 Likes

I am still more fond of Titans, but I understand some of the reasons that others like Doom Patrol more. Both views are valid, for those individuals who have those views.

I am slowly getting more into Doom Patrol, while Titans hooked me right from the get go, but with some reservations because of the Excessive Brutality. Still a fun show for me though.

MACJR

1 Like

I like both. Prefer Titans bit I love DP

2 Likes

Obviously only three shows in but I do think Doom Patrol has been the better show so far. Although I definitely would not trash Titans, which was a good show by any account.

Been thinking about rewatching Titans . I like this and Doom Patrolā€¦ What I did like about Doom Patrol it didnā€™t take one episode to dedicate to one character. And Spread it for a entire season. They did them all in 2.

1 Like

I personally think Doom Patrol is better so far just because they havenā€™t really needed to focus on gathering and introducing the team. Most of Titans was introducing the characters and planting the seeds of a story, while Doom Patrol is focusing on the story itself and sprinkling in the characterā€™s individual stories.

2 Likes

Doom Patrol is better overall, like it has Emmy/Golden Globe potential imo but Titans is still rly fā€™n sweet in itā€™s own right and I expect things to improve top to bottom for season 2 and beyond.

Personally itā€™s for 2 main reasons. Titans was a fundamentally approach to the characters that I bothered me, and others. With the exception of Jason Todd, the characters were just more dower and violent than their counterparts, and it took adjustment to get into. For me, it was an alright show and a fine launch show, in spite of my many problems with it. That said Doom Patrol is just more reflective of a much weirder comic, and it points out that they could have done that better in Titans.

Second, Titans felt like a good but qualified show, in the sense that it is good for a first show, super hero show, ect. Whereas Doom Patrol feels like a GREAT SHOW, it is just so enjoyable that itā€™s hard not to compare them, and see Titans lacking a bit. That said, Iā€™m obviously on the side of DP, and personally like my superheros to be less authoritarian and brooding, which was a theme of the titans show and pre-aquaman DCEU

2 Likes

Folks are bound to make comparisons. Folks like me!

Episode One: Doom Patrol wins this round. The DP Pilot is probably one of the best pilots Iā€™ve ever seen, top ten material. While the Titans Pilot also pleased me greatly, DP made me care about the characters so much more deeply.

Episode Two: Titans wins this round. The portrayal of Hawk & Dove was so nuance, making me wish for a H&D spinoff after only one episode. DP was solid, but it was a step down from the pilot for me while Titans was a step up.

Episode Three: A Tie. Both third episodes drifted away from the character work that I enjoyed so much, focusing more on solidifying the ongoing plotlines. The weakest of the three for both shows - in my humble opinion of course.

Episode Four: Well, the fourth episode of Titans included the Doom Patrol, so how will this be fair? :wink:

I think it just comes down to Titans being the first out the gate and admittedly being somewhat mixed to positive, whereas Doom Patrols just been great every single episode. Thereā€™s a reason critics are making parallels to DP and Umbrella Academy.

1 Like

I actually like Titans better. Doom Patrol is a little on the weird side for me! I confess I only tuned in to DP because of Matt Bomer! It is much better than I thought it would be though.

1 Like

Doom Patrol has much better writing, The team origin story is fantastical but the individual characters are clearly focus and relatable.
Throughout and despite the horror, frustration, anger and violence there is a relationship that is missing (thus far) from Titans.

3 Likes

I think @LooseNate hit the nail on the head. Titans I enjoyed, especially as it went on. But like many series, it tried a writing style and theme that was just too over the top and it came off at many many times as trying to be way to ā€˜edgyā€™ and cool and dark. It didnā€™t walk that fine line of subtlity and gritty. Likewise it didnā€™t do much good in the way of developing the charactersā€¦I didnā€™t get to know Starfire, or Beastboy all the much. Dick and Raven had stories given, but they were a bit flimsy. I think Dickā€™s story should have been drawn out longer before he was shown to be so anti batman and anti robin. Doom Patrol right from the first episode was the complete opposite. It gave us Character development in spades. By the end of the first episode I knew who I was dealing with, we got a plot a reason for them to be aroundā€¦it did everything that Titanā€™s didnā€™t do in one episode. Now donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™m definitely coming back for Titans Season 2, but I just hope it can learn and really course correct itā€™s writing. I want more character building. StarFire to not resemble of cheaper hooker, and more light heartedness especially amonsgt the ā€˜kidsā€™. (Raven and Gar). Oh and give us a real reason theyā€™re sticking around together.

Thatā€™s being said Titans did some stuff amazingingly The Doom Patrol Episode, the Hawk and Dove episode and the Wondergirl stuff was SPOT on. In factā€¦they were at their bestā€¦when there were highlighting OTHER charactersā€¦

3 Likes