Why I'm not buying the new Batman Superman

Honestly, it’s ok if I’m alone on this but I’m not a fan of the Batman who laughs. The whole concept feels like a cheap money grab. I’m not hating on him to piss anyone off. It’s just not for me.

This upsets me cuz the art from the preview pages look amazing!! The story from the pictures look amazing but I don’t care/like the Batman who laughs.

Please don’t comment if you’re going to tell me how stupid I am. Instead, change my mind. Why should I pick it up anyway?

2 Likes

I am not a fan of the Batman who Laughs either but I’m gonna give it a go. If its good I’ll go back to this thread an let you know.

2 Likes

You should give it a try because josh Williamson is writing it and that’s a must for me!

2 Likes

Completely agree with OP. I’m at the point that anything with the Batman Who Laughes, or that makes even oblique reference to the Metal event, is an automatic pass for me.

1 Like

I really don’t like the stupid Batman who laughs stupidly, but love the Worlds Finest so will probably pick up.

1 Like

@phylemon You’re missing out then. While it’s understandable why people wouldn’t like the Metal event, it launched so much good stuff.

2 Likes

Presumably only the first arc will deal with the aftermath of the Batman Who Laughs miniseries, right? Since it’s an ongoing they’ll have to branch out from it eventually. They’re probably just trying to use the Batman Who Laughs’ popularity to help launch the series, then they’ll go in a different direction. Plus, more of Batman and Superman teaming up is typically a good thing.

What I would do is pick up the first few issues. If the series isn’t working for you after that, drop it. I typically give a series 6 issues, but a lot of people I know only give a series 2 or 3 because they understandable don’t want to spend too much on something they’re not invested in.

2 Likes

Thanks for chiming in y’all. If I decided to pick it up, I fear I’ll be lost as I have not read anything that spun out of metal.

Speaking of metal, the GL one-shot was my favorite. Where Bruce becomes an evil GL. Good stuff!!

2 Likes

I thought Metal was okay, some of the one shots worked, I just really don’t like the character. But, luckily I have DCU so I’ll try the mini when it gets here

2 Likes

I thought the one-shots were the worst part of Metal, honestly. They’re all just Elseworlds with super depressing elevator pitches.

2 Likes

The reason you should read Batman Superman is because it is one of the most important books in the universe right now. the book will have changes SO big that whole titles will suddenly change. The only title more important to the future of DC is Justice League (2018-). In comparison The Batman Who Laughs (2018-) is fairly unimportant but we’ll written.

1 Like

I’m not a big fan of The Batman Who Laughs either and really wasn’t a fan of Metal in general. Ironically, I have enjoyed the Batman Who Laughs miniseries, mostly because it’s still mainly focused on our Bruce/Batman.

I’m going to pick up Batman/Superman because I’m apparently still capable of enjoying a story that features Batman Who Laughs even though I’m not a big fan of the villain. Want to give the series a chance.

I lost interest in The Batman Who Laughs mini. I like the character fine, I just found the series to be dull.

I’m buying Batman/Superman because I love Superman and Batman team-up titles.

If you don’t want to buy B/S, that’s fine, as there’s oodles of other stuff to allocate your time and scratch towards.

I doubt I’ll read anything which spawns from Metal. It was really that bad. My time is precious, and I simply can’t waste it on terrible writing.

Just because Metal was bad (in your opinion) doesn’t mean that things that came from it are bad.

1 Like