Why I Love Renee Montoya

There are a lot of characters that often go overlooked by people. Mainly because they aren’t superheroes or supervillains, or part of the big theatrical fights that happen regularly in the DC Universe. But there is one character that I’ve grown to admire - Renee Montoya.

Like Harley Quinn, she originally debuted in “Batman: The Animated Series” before going to comics. Her first major role was during the No Man’s Land storyline where she was one of the cops who stayed behind to try and maintain some sense of order. It was during this time she formed an alliance with Two-Face who actually was helping people during the crisis. This also served as the starting point of the villain’s obsession with her. It wouldn’t be until the comic series Gotham Central that he frames Renee for murder, outs her as gay to her department, then kidnaps her in an effort to claim her for himself. While her name was cleared and she got out of his grip, life became that much harder for her. Only her brother would keep talking to her for a while. Renee found herself deep in the bottle, debating suicide until her girlfriend at the time convinced her to start finding some help. Unfortunately, her partner - Crispus Allen - was killed by a corrupt cop. When she found out, she knocked down the cop’s door, put the gun to his head…and just left him on the floor crying. She felt she was just putting on an act like Batman, and all she knew about herself at the moment was she wasn’t a killer. She also wasn’t a cop as she quit the force the next day. While she knew what she wasn’t, she was stuck in a search trying to figure out what she was. With her girlfriend gone, neck-deep in booze and constantly hooking up with women, she was lost.

Then she came face-to-face with The Question. And she was forced to face a question she had been avoiding - who are you? Sage wasn’t like most costumed heroes or even that similar to Batman. He was a person driven by a burning need to right the wrongs of society, and he took her with him as he worked on his final case. During their time together, he did what he could to put her on the path that would help her before he succumbed to cancer. It was during this time that Renee discovered who she was and carried on as The Question…at least until Flashpoint messed everything up. But it did lead to the Lois Lane mini-series where due to cosmic/science mumbo jumbo the two reconnected in a rather sweet moment.

The story of Renee Montoya is of a regular woman working hard every day to figure out who she is. To find the courage to be that person and live up to the simple code of making a difference in your life. She isn’t a hero in the same vein as Batman, Superman, or Wonder Woman. Her flaws are just as important as her strengths. Her daily struggle of not giving in to the desire of killing someone like Two-Face is a reminder that regular people can always make the right choice. It doesn’t matter if she is a detective, the police commissioner, or The Question - I love Renee Montoya for everything she has accomplished, the struggles she continues to deal with, and for being who she is.

renee-montoya-6354550-normal

8 Likes

I love her too! I am glad to know I am not the only one.

4 Likes

Just finished “GCPD: The Blue Wall” and memories of reading her story in Gotham Central came flooding back. Still love her so much :heart:

2 Likes

I love this topic @EDT

Topics like this, their not much to say afterwards because the person summarizes it perfectly and you talking about Renee Montoya and why she is important and a great character is spot on!

The only thing I want for Renee right now is to be happy. I want her to be able to work closely with the Bat-family rather than arms length and be in a relationship with Batwoman. Renee Montoya deserves the best. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I really do miss Renee and Kate together. In that Lois Lane mini I mentioned in the post, she does briefly reunite with her love interest from the Religion of Crime mini series that came out before Flashpoint and I do like them together. But I still hope that Renee & Kate get back together

2 Likes

Jesus, I need to read No Man’s Land!

2 Likes

It’s a long story, basically running a full year across all Batman titles. But it’s pretty good. Though keep in mind that Two-Face is still fundamentally twisted so while he did serve as an ally, he still has to be creepy and sometimes come into conflict with them

1 Like

As if the whole face thing didn’t already do that.

I recently saw Renee return as the Question in the Jace Fox Batman series and I do hope she takes the offer of the Mayor of New York and becomes the Commissioner of the NYPD since I’d love to see her interact with Jace and the other “I am Batman” characters more.

I heard about her crossover with that character. But considering I just finished GCPD: The Blue Wall where she is still the commissioner for Gotham, it’s safe to say she doesn’t take the job. SIDE NOTE - the Blue Wall mini is a great read

1 Like

Great thread! Montoya is such a great character. Probably in my DC top 10. I became a huge fan after the 52 series.

I was annoyed when they pretty much Flashpoint’d out of relevance. She checks off a lot of diversity categories (woman, queer, latina), and for a while it sucked that they would bury a character like that. It was exciting when she returned as the Question in the Lois Lane series.

She has been featured across the Gotham titles recently and I love that they are giving her more to do as both the commissioner and The Question.

And yeah… I’m Team Renee & Kate.

4 Likes

This thread was a good reminder for me to go back and read more Renee Montoya stories. Been meaning to since I read her book in The Other History of the DC Universe.

2 Likes

I absolutely LOVED her part in that mini-series! Katana’s was really insightful - honestly, all the stories were great

3 Likes

Happy cake day @EDT

3 Likes