Why I Am Not Worried About the Future of DCU

I think the saving grace would be to make a official bundle that merges DCU with HBO MAX just for $15, I’ll die happy

4 Likes

I guess I’m ok with the originals migrating over to HBO Max, but I’ll be devastated if we lose the comics service. I’ve been an MU subscriber for years and always wished for a DC version, and the price of this sub is worth it even WITHOUT the streaming stuff.

But I’d hope they keep the older, non-original stuff on here. I can’t imagine HBO Max subscribers are clamoring for things like the 70s Shazam show or the 80s Superboy show or the 90s Flash show or even the Superman serials (some of my faves). Stuff like this would he a lovely bonus to keep on here, but for me, the comics are the most important. This app has helped me pass the time and comforted me during this pandemic, and I would hate to lose it.

Gonna keep using my tokens to try and get more people hooked on the service!

5 Likes

I agree and use DC UNIVERSE for comics and older Superman shows/movies etc. Use it as an add on to HBO MAX too

2 Likes

I would like to see all there shows move to HBO Max and make DCU a comics only service. However, I think HBO max subscribers should get a significant discount and they need to get there comic service on par with Marvel Unlimited. The lack of Black Label and Vertigo Titles is significantly felt.

1 Like

That statement from Jim Lee makes it sound like DCU will continue as a comic reader that can compare with Marvel Unlimited. Works for me :raised_hands:t3:

1 Like

if our future is just a comic reader, and community, I feel like they need to do something. adding a LOT more comics is going to need to be step one. putting more current titles (freshly released trade paperbacks, for instance) should be made available after a small window (to keep people buying physical copies) is step two. next up is as a blowout of the DC Direct inventory through reward points we’ve earned, as a thank you to us for supporting. lastly, devoting more resources to the community section here, so that us devoted folks keep the branding and characters alive for all the outside licensing that will be necessary to stay relevant, and know where we’d like to see manufacture future goods.

2 Likes

This subject has me a little worried. I actually found DC universe while looking for a place to watch the exclusive shows and stayed for the awesome comics. I cannot afford to pay 20$ a month for HBO and so I will miss my favorite programs. I will stay with DC though and hope to at least see more great reading material added.

1 Like

No matter what I will stick with DC Universe. I’ve been a subscriber since the beta launched and have been on almost every day since then. I really hope that the original shows can still stay on and just be co-jointly produced, although I don’t see that being likely. Either way this service has been worth every penny and I will be on until the day it ends.

1 Like

There have been heavy rumors of that at least being the case with Doom Patrol. Of course rumors are not gospel and that was before the huge layoffs But I guess it is possible.

At first I got dcu because of the dcau and dcamu. I wasn’t really interested in reading the comics mostly because I thought I wouldn’t have time to, but decided to read some and holy crap I wouldve missed out on some amazing series, like Geoff john’s Green lantern, for all seasons, birthright ect. At this point I use dcu more for comics than tv shows so I’ll keep dcu for the comics.

Something to quell some fears:

“In regards to the community and experience that DCU created, and all the backlist content, something like 20,000 to 25,000 different titles, and the way it connected with fans 24-7, there is always going to be a need for that,” Lee said. “So we’re excited to transform it and we’ll have more news on what that will look like. It’s definitely not going away.” -Jim Lee

I think they’re well aware of our concerns and sounds like we’ve still got a service yet

1 Like

I’m expecting this platform to become the new way to get DC comics digitally. I think It makes sense and later TPB will be sold at comic shops collecting whatever releases on here.

1 Like

If nothing else, we could create hashtags, post on WB’s social media pages, and start fan petitions to show our love for the platform. I don’t think we’re at that point yet, but what’s wrong with being vocal about our love?

I have doubts for some reason. For starters when they introduced the awards system they had a lot of items to trade in for. I was just about to have enough for a Batgirl statue and then it was gone! You only have so much time to gain so many rewards until it blocks you off. They knew what they were doing with that. I did turn in my rewards for the Harley Quinn pin set but I did not get a confirmation email. If I don’t get them then I’m not complianing about it then. I will just dump my account and move on sadly.

1 Like

I agree

True

1 Like

I would still like to know the answer to a couple things regarding the future of DCU :

1. Is all video content leaving ? If not, what will stay ? Hoping we keep the animated shows and the older ( ie Wonderwoman, Shazam ) shows.

2. WIll the comic content expand to include Black Label or Vertigo ? Also, will the time frame of a year stay the same of will it be shortened to perhaps 6 months ?

1 Like

I too used points on the Harley pin set. no confirmation, and it has exceeded the 6 to 8 weeks quoted (though pandemic, mail slowdown, DC layoffs, and Fandome) but i do hope to see it soon. (i check my mailbox daily, and am let down with each passing day) I am now concerned further that the points I’ve built up are no longer useful (the page has been down for days) which sucks.

According to Applejack, it does look like the video content may be going away. Honestly though, for $8 month, we are still getting more than what Marvel Unlimited offers for $10 per month just for the simple fact DCU also has this community.