Why Don't They Show Comic Trailers In Movie Theaters?

@D4RK5TARZ true, but most people will probably buy trade paper backs over single issue. Honestly all of my friends including myself prefer trade paperbacks. Maybe like manga fans when a new issue comes out they’ll just read it online and wait for a tradepaperback.

1 Like

I prefer collections or TPBs as well. Maybe make it so you get the first issue free and 75% off on the rest of the issues in that story arc. A free collection of digital isn’t a bad idea though. I am thinking on how it will benefit the comic company as well. For example, Marvel has been giving away free digital collections and I am grabbing them but they aren’t enough for me to start buying their books.

2 Likes

Anything to make comics more mainstream, ironic how everyone loves superheros but almost no one reads their books.

3 Likes

It comes down to how little Americans read for entertainment. Something like 17% of males. I don’t remember exactly. I mentioned it in a thread not long ago.

People want condensed mythology. They don’t care about the art form of comics. It’s banging pots and pans. An entire generation raised on Michael Bay movies.

2 Likes

Comic books don’t have to be the starting point for interest in related movies and TV. The reverse can be true. I’m a longtime book and sometimes magazine reader, but didn’t read comics for years until coming to DCU. Now I read them a little bit here and there.

Movies and TV can be gateways to comics. Would love to see theaters do more to promote the art form.

2 Likes

True, honestly the only people that I know that read are my friends, then again they’re my friends so of course we’ll have similar interests.

1 Like

that’s been my entire point. People already watch the movies and shows, so why not dive deeper and read the comics

Most of the general audience doesn’t care about the medium. Some places used to give free digital downloads of comics as rewards (Regal). I got a lot of free codes from people that didn’t care for it.

1 Like

Maybe they don’t care because there hasn’t been enough exposure to it. They know iron man and Thor, so maybe some trailers of their comics can get them interested

I mean comics aren’t high selling anymore to begin with and hella niche. Movies are easy to consume and are less intensive than comics which requires reading. Plus the entertainment value is usually higher as movies take at least 90 minutes versus a modern comic that you can read in about 10-15 minutes at 4 bucks a pop.

If anything, they’ll see a comic, open it and realize it’s nothing like in the movies and be turned off by all the continuity and differences. Jumping into the big two is pretty daunting.

1 Like

Or they’ll probably embrace the differences and accept that they can enjoy the characters in different ways, im a huge superman fan and injustice didn’t stop me from loving the character/enjoying the injustice run. They might even think the comic is better than the movies, i personally prefer Ultimate Spiderman(2000) over all of the spiderman movies.

There’s also a chance, that they might stop caring about what’s Canon and just enjoy the story for what it is. That’s how it went for me, I still don’t get why supermab secret origins replace birthright as the Canon superman but either way both were good stories.

I loved the Batman movies that were out when I was a kid, and loved TAS, but had a very hard time getting into the comics. I remember picking up an issue once and it happened to be in the middle of the Contagion storyline and I had absolutely no idea what was going on.

1 Like

But you eventually did get into comics, that’s why you’re on this streaming site.

That’s why the promotional comic has to be an appropriate choice. There’s a new Batman movie set in his early years? Give them a digital trade of Batman: Venom. A new Spidey movie coming out? Go with Ultimate Spider-Man Volume 1.

2 Likes

Right, Regal gave free download codes for issue 1 of comic book movies (jumping on points). Ones I remember vividly are Spiderman, Batman superman by Loeb, and Wonder Woman. I claimed many free codes from people who could care less to redeem them and just watched the films. It’s not like an attempt to convert movie goers has never been done.

You could get a few stragglers to buy an issue but to stick with a series long run, I’m not too sure. I remember Cates’ Venom boasting pretty big issue 1 sales due to synergy with the movie but then that tapered off.

1 Like

A single issue isn’t really a selling point when it’s basically just an ad to spend more money. Very few modern comics are going to hook someone with one issue even if they do bother to read it.

1 Like

Ultimate spider man is like the best spiderman, I always recommend it whenever someone wants to get into spiderman comics or just comics overall.

I’m actually not really a fan of Ultimate Spider-Man, but it’s a rather obvious entry point for people who’ve only seen the movies. Even at 20 years old, it’s still a “modern” comic that’s unlikely to chase people away, and it’s not mired in decades of continuity.

2 Likes

You don’t like ultimate spiderman!!?? :scream:

That’s part of the reason why I feel in loved with it back in my junior year of high school. I guess since I was in high school at the time I could relate to the teen drama going on. I thought the humor was pretty and made some memes with the panels to share with friends.

If you don’t mind asking, Why don’t you like it?

I could list multiple reasons why I don’t get much out of the series, but I suppose they would all fall under the banner of “I’d rather just read the Lee/Ditko originals.”

2 Likes