Why Don't They Show Comic Trailers In Movie Theaters?

Everyone is always talking about the movies, but most people don’t even realize there are comics about these characters so I always thought maybe if they show comic trailers at movie theaters(especially a superhero movie) more people would be interested in reading comics. So why don’t show comic trailers at movie theaters?

10 Likes

Or provide either digital comics or digital codes as part of a download or media. Actually provide a digital trade so the customer gets a full story.

8 Likes

That’s an absolutely fantastic idea @American-Alien! It’s a solid cross-promotion but also entices and welcomes in new readers! Kind of like how at the end of episodes on DCU, it recommends related comics and links them.

6 Likes

Oh yeah! I don’t go to movies that much but I remember with certain comericals they would show codes for an app or website. I always wanted to do one but I didn’t have a phone when I saw those and now that I do I haven’t seen anything similar in a long time

2 Likes

Regal Cinemas does these cool interactive Moviebill booklets for some films. They contain all sorts of print goodies and comics would fit that well. You shoot it with your cell phone Regal app and bam the content “comes out” at you. Pretty neat integration between the true source material and encouraging people to get to the movie theaters on opening weekend to nab their collector’s copy.

Not sure if AMC or other theaters do this, but it’s similar to what you’re recommending. And I think you’re idea is very solid.

2 Likes

There’s a comic shop near the movie theater i go to, I always imagined that place would be pack if the AMC would show trailers for dc and marvel’s comics

2 Likes

I remember they did, but I haven’t seen any recently(well now that I can go to the movies or anything)

2 Likes

Yeah, they seem to only make them for the mega blockbuster movies ($100+ million budget). Some DC movies fit this bill, so maybe that will happen for WW1984? I’d totally dig that.

2 Likes

Honestly, the dc comic trailers are terrific. I would love to see them before a dc(heck even a marvel) movie.

2 Likes

They could also do something like Disney/Pixar did with Onward. They had an actual Simpsons animated short film play before the main show.

1 Like

Pretty soon comics will be done for cuz people are not reading them because they can just watch a tv show or movie. Honestly the comics are better. People would probably buy them if they were sold in more places than just comic books stores and bookstores. :sob: it is sad! Why don’t they realize the greatness. I guess they need a jumping on point and Marvel and DC have a lot of them. It does not make sense!:sob:. Your idea is a good one though.

1 Like

Cinemark does what Travis mentioned, on occasion. I got free digital issues of Shazam and a few others when purchasing tickets. I think it’s a great way to promote the series.

3 Likes

That’s awesome! I hope they do it more often.

2 Likes

I don’t think they’re done for. They say the same for board games but those are still popular.

2 Likes

But everyone knows the Simpsons, not many people outside of comic fans know about Batman white knight

1 Like

I got the full digital discography for No Doubt with my concert ticket. I think there is something that can be done with comics. Maybe an issue 1. I think this would work better for movies based on comics that aren’t from DC/Marvel. Something like Hellboy or something even more off the beaten path like Bloodshot could be a huge boost. Then again, as much as I love DC, and I love DC, I gravitate towards indie titles when I am not reading DC. This could have been a great promo for TV shows, I know Stumptown or Riverdale comes to mind.

2 Likes

It would be cool if they did it for comic movies in general, I mean @CynicalPinkgot a free issue of Shazam. That’s one way to bring in more comic readers.

3 Likes

I think promotions should be more than a single issue. An arc would be best. Something complete to get someone interested.

When you buy a comic Blu-ray there should be a code. When you buy comic movie tickets digitally there should be a code. I think that would be a fantastic form of advertising.

Why do I get ads when I’m reading the news for “signs I have dementia” showing a older male grasping at his shoulder?

That should be a Green Lantern ad for ComiXology.

3 Likes

Also just throwing this out there, whenever Apple had an update that included that free U2 album, the album was number one that week. I wonder if that would be possible for a huge blockbuster. Example, Joker is released and is making crazy money. If everyone got a free comic would that count as comics sold if they are given away? I am nitpicking at numbers but I am sure those kind of numbers would be great in a board meeting. If millions of people download the comic or “buy” it on Comixology I am going to guess a good portion will want to see what happens in the next issue. Now that I think about it more this could actually help legitimize comics in America for an older audience.

4 Likes

Exactly, I’ve been watching dc comic trailers and I think they’ll be perfect to show in theaters. I remembering seeing Dark knight metal on adult swim and I was so happy since it was a comic trailer on mainstream TV. Now put that on a movie that everyone will be watching. And as some people stated, have codes to get a free issue or discount.

2 Likes