Why does Robin throw Rs?

Its probably the one thing that bothers me most. It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. Partly because a bird-a-rang can’t be that hard to fabricate for TV, and the shape would not make for a good projectile.

4 Likes

He throws those a lot in the comics and animated series.

1 Like

The Rs?

You have a great point Truth. The R shape makes a horrible projectile to throw. Majority of the time it won’t penetrate nor stick to its target.

If the edges were sharp, it would penetrate and stick.

2 Likes

Truth…

Yes the R’s are a thing in the comics and animated series.

3 Likes

I must be blind then. I just watched BTAS not to long ago and don’t remember that.

I’m not sure it’s in Batman the animated series.

Tim uses them in Young Justice, not sure about Dick.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure in the comics it’s only Tim as well.

First time I remember seeing Robin throw his R was issue 465 of Batman. But it may have been in the first Robin solo series.

1 Like

It was originally in the comics with Tim Drake’s redesign of the Robin costume. The R on his chest was meant to be a backup projectile if he ran out of batarangs or was in a pinch and needed a sharp edge. For one reason or another the Titans series took that concept and made Dick Grayson throw Rs instead of batarangs.

4 Likes

I mean if this is a lethal throwing weapon, I am sure an R could be. It is an African throwing knife called a Hunga Munga.

3ec306e6415a50fda2708b76e6091729.jpg

3 Likes

You’re right, he should change his name to Wobin. W is more symmetrical and pointier

1 Like

Elmer Fudd is technically a Batman villain.

3 Likes

If you watch Titans, you also know that he throws F-Bombs. :rofl:

3 Likes