Why Do YOU think Superman Is a Timeless Icon?

6 Likes

I thinks it’s the costume.

8 Likes

Well it IS iconic.

5 Likes

Part of it is his job as a reporter. It’s a timeless career that can always be used by writers to touch upon pressing real world issues. He’s also just plain fun to read about.

8 Likes

He just is!

In all seriousness, Superman represents everything good in the world. He’s a role model to anyone and everyone. He is kinda sorta maybe good looking. Clark looks really good in glasses, that’s for sure.

9 Likes

You’re said that on the right thread. I am a bisexual man and can see where you’re coming from.

A straight man wouldn’t see it.

I feel sad for them.

6 Likes

people will always need saving and Clark will be there to save them. that’s it for me

7 Likes

Well, you’re not wrong.

7 Likes

I think the appeal of Superman is manifold. I think for a lot of kids growing up his very “otherness” appealed to them. Superman is literally an alien from another planet–in the words of the intro to the Fleischer cartoons, an “amazing stranger from the planet Krypton.” I think a lot of kids over the years who didn’t quite fit in could identify with Superman because he, like them, is different.

Beyond that I think much of the appeal beyond Superman is that, while he is an alien being with powers beyond mere mortals, at his core he is basically just a decent guy from Kansas.He may have been born on Krypton, but he was raised by the Kents. And it is those values that they instilled him that makes him what he is. That really makes him Superman.

In the end, I think Superman remains timeless because, while he is super-strong and has an array of various powers, he is symbol for all that is good and decent. And because he is a symbol for all that is good and decent that uses his amazing powers to help people, he is also a symbol of hope. Superman is timeless because there are always going to be people in need of help, and he is just the person who will give them that help.

4 Likes

his jawline and the clark kent glasses effect

and ig also his faith in humanity and life despite his own god-like existence. His genuineness.

6 Likes

You mean like this?

97199555f8c740266bce147ca7f6298f

5 Likes

They don’t obey the laws of physics and Bruce is very grumpy about it

7 Likes

supermans a good friend a good son and I also like it when he tricks people

8 Likes

I think the idea of optimism and self improvement is something that is held back by no type of boundaries. Every generation can use some hope and every generation should strive to be a better version of themselves everyday. Superman is the collection of the many life lessons the multiple great minds behind him have learned and are passing down to us, I believe that’s a gift that can be appreciated in any era

5 Likes

Superman’s “strength” comes from his character not the yellow rays of our sun. He’s super fast, can fly, see through solid objects, or melt them with a stare. And yes, he"s invulnerable to harm. But not really, because his greatest weakness, the thing that can hurt him the most, is the pain of heartache. The pain that all people share and experience. It’s part of being human. It doesn’t define us, but it gives us empathy and compassion. And those are the qualities that make Clark–Superman!
He’s there when times are both good and bad. He’s the comforting voice, the helpful hand, the embodiment of hope.
“Without hope, there is no tomorrow.” Season 4, Episode #11 of Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman “Twas The Night Before Mxymas”.
And one more quote that sums it all up:
“Who–are you?!”
“A friend.”
Lois and Superman on the roof of The Daily Planet from Superman: The Movie

5 Likes

My favorite Superman quote is from Smallville.

6 Likes