Why Do People Enjoy the Zack Snyder Movies?

@Desade-acolyte

Yeah, all about the money which is why WB has cinematic abominations like SUPERMAN RETURNS, JONAH HEX, and BATMAN AND ROBIN among many others that Zack Snyder had no hand in. Money must be made to keep the whole house of cards afloat but the art of the medium must always be respected or you get stuff like the version of Justice League that was released. The movie was crap but those bonuses Tsujihara and Emmerich got were sweet though, huh?

2 Likes

@Batwing52

Maybe your mother told you when you were in kindergarten to try something new sometimes because repetition is stagnation as proven by the Knightfall storyline that you proclaim to love so much, the same plot that was used in Batman #400 almost six years before Bane was introduced. That’s probably why you thought it was supposedly so innovating while I yawned and read THE KILLING JOKE and ARKHAM ASYLUM again because when it comes to repetition vs innovation take the latter every time and those who can’t keep up won’t keep up.

And as far as your criticism of Perry White and his actions in MOS don’t be so certain of what you’re saying because my significant other is an editor for a major media source and she let me know early on that you don’t publish everything that crosses your desk when you’re in that position because it can and will bite you.

Just more proof that Snyder actually knew what he was doing with his DC movies much more than trying to aim for the nostalgia feels.

2 Likes

Let’s never r daily you being Watchmen into that mix. With JH &SR both never did another. Joel Schumacher was coming off a passable Barman Forever. None sense.
Snyder a reasonably decent job on Watchmen (cuz he adapted an existing book that had m, in many ways aleeady been story boarded. DC took a chance with having Snyder do MoS. But giving him a three picture deal and the budgets for those movies. He was out of his depth.

DC has made some stinkers of comic book movies that were lousy investments and they cut ties as soon as possible. They’ve hopefully learned.

The art of the medium needs to be respected. And for the sake of film as artform, that trilogy of movies need to be help up and studied. Three really expensive really awful movies that showed nothin of interest, except how to take 70+ years of modern mythology and throw it away because “you know better”. That some how your ideas are better than all the creative talent combined before you. Here’s a hit…it’s not.

1 Like

I’m lukewarm on Man of Steel, but it did not throw everything away. It draws heavily upon John Byrne’s run (and not only the miniseries of the same name), Mark Waid’s Birthright, Geoff Johns’s Secret Origin, and J. Michael Straczynski’s Earth One. (And unsurprisingly, the stuff I like in the movie was mostly taken from Waid and Johns, since I generally don’t care much for the other two’s work on Superman.)

@Jason322
First off, Batman #400 was far from the same story as Knightfall, even if the premise was similar. I was merely pointing out that the idea was an interesting predicament for Batman, and no matter which came first that doesn’t change. Also, while Arkham Asylum was indeed innovative (mostly from an art standpoint), The Killing Joke is one of the most same-y Batman comics I’ve read. Joker has a plan. People get hurt. “Ambiguous” ending. It’s also an early example of a woman in refrigerator in the form of Barbara Gordon, offensive to little people and others with deformities/disabilities, and gives Joker an origin, which should never be done, but that’s beside the point. Also, most stuff that gets passed off on editors’ desks is due to a lack of evidenced credible sources, or it’s not going to make enough buzz. “We’re Not Alone” is the headline of the century, White passes the story because (AND HE TELLS LOIS HIS MOTIVES CLEARLY) he thinks the truth would scare people. Scaring people with the truth is a journalist’s JOB.

The Joker has told multiple origin stories over the years and has even said he likes multiple choices in what his origin is. The Killing Joke is a Joker origin, but is it true. The world may never (and hopefully never) know.

@DeSade-acolyte
The Joker Origin was made “multiple choice” by later writers. Yes, the quote came from Moore but there is no reason given in TKJ to suggest that this origin is not the real one. Just the same as people justify the fridging of Barbara Gordon by saying it gave us Oracle, I’ve heard people use the varying origins thing to talk about TKJ. The thing is, both of those concepts were contributed by later authors trying to fix Moore’s blunders. Killing Joke is a bad story, but Gail Simone’s Birds of Prey and the Dark Knight movie (things that rely on Oracle and “multiple choice” origins) are great, although it’s obvious (to me) they’re going out of their was to fix TKJ’s mistakes. This is just my view of Killing Joke, and the way I felt after reading it. If you loved it and you get something else out of it that’s up to you.

There was s also no reason to believe it is. Moore add-on to the existing Red Hood origin. However, there is just as much reason to doubt this backstory to the backstory he provides to Harleen in BTAS, and the script for Batman 89 was already written which told yet another version where the Joker was the man who likely killed Thomas & Martha Wayne.

The Joker’s origin was widely ignored, the best idea imo, for decades and the Kokervhas undergone my character transformations in his first 50 years.

I have a tendency to believe that the one true item of Joker’s origin is that there are probably multiple versions, even in his own head.

The thing of it is: each DC film he has done varies. I loved Watchmen back when it was first released. It was before I even read the comic. Man of Steel reminded me of Donner’s Superman with a more modern take without the simplicity of a classic super hero just saving people. BvS I enjoyed because it melded multiple comics into one film (The Dark Knight Return, The Death of Superman, etc). I don’t think the film was perfect and did not like the script, but people wanted someone to lash out at and sadly it was him. I don’t recognize Justice League as a Snyder film. It is like someone telling you to stop painting a portrait, asking another guy to finish it, and your name on it. Feel like Warner Bros doesn’t even want to recognize it as a film they done…

Directors make imperfect films. I like Ridley Scott but not every film he has done is golden. Snyder has done cool films from 300 to Watchmen which I enjoyed. But he has also done some not so great movies like Suckerpunch (which I believe has been the only movie I watched he had a writing credit in). But no one will discuss it. It is mainstream movie culture…

1 Like

You do realize that paintings were done like that a LOT, right.

I am sure Snyder could have gotten a good legal team together if he wanted his name off the movie. I’m guessing his contract gave him a piece of the film’s revenue if his his name was on it.

Nicholson got paid very little for Batman 89, but he got like a 10% stake in the film. That movie made him a big part of his fortune.

Zack Snyder’s DCEU is done like this; movies that take place before Justice League are dark & griddy while movies that take place after Justice League 1 are light. Also he does a good job giving original story to establish superheroes with far more better and realistic superhero action and tackles many aspects across the board. Plus he uses different kinds of cameras for different movies that best suits that particular movie. And he knows the majority of people will watch these movies in 3D and 4DX and MX4D and suits the movies to give audiences the best experience for seeing it in these screenings.

If you don’t like Zack Snyder’s pre-Justice League 1 movies then watch his post Justice League 1 movies like Man of Steel 3 and Justice League 2. But not the upcoming Man of Steel 2 titled Death of Superman because it takes place before Justice League 1, and therefore will be Superman (and Zack Snyder’s) last dark & griddy movie, and then all his newer Superman movies will be light.

Its the entire DCEU as a whole that you have to look at. We’re getting the Flash movie and Green Lantern Corps. Movie in the next few years.

1 Like

I liked a lot of the big poses and what I call ‘art shots’ that seem to jump off the comic book pages, so the overall aesthetic and cinematography are fun for me. Apparently, I am a big fan of dramatic cape movements. :slight_smile: The color pallet doesn’t really bother me, although I can see why others don’t like it and understand that it can get old after a while.

4 Likes

I like big epic things and his DC movies were not lacking in that department. The action scenes were great and are still fun to watch time after time. You can actually see what’s going on compared to the choppy way action sequences are shot in some other movies. I thought the take on how the world would initially react to Superman was interesting…it brought tension to the story, in a good way. I like “the moments”…the moment he discovered he was an alien…the moment he took flight…the moment he destroyed the world engine…the moment he chose Earth and destroyed the genesis chamber…the moment he decided to kill Zod (controversial, I know)…and that’s just Man of Steel. From BvS…well…it’s full of 'em as well…but I’ll just mention the formation of the Trinity and Superman dying while killing Doomsday.

I understand the movies were not for everyone…and I understand they didn’t perform like they were supposed to…and I’m not bitter about it like a lot of other fans seem to be. I enjoyed them and that’s that. Actually, from what was described, I’m not sure I would have liked the twisted version of Superman that was supposedly coming from Snyder & company had they continued the series. I just hope we get to see more Superman movies in the near future.

2 Likes

Sorry I didn’t like any of his movies: JLA was my favorite of the group and I guess Josh is responsible for that. I am not bitter or angry about his vision but I question why WB stuck with him that long. For me they not Zack deserves the blame.

1 Like

I thought Man of Steel was pretty good. It wasn’t exactly what I wanted out of a Superman movie, but I thought it was a satisfying film apart from the grim Superman which I at the time assumed they’d alter to be more hopeful in later films.

Batman V. Superman made me feel literally nauseous because of its philosophy and general poor quality.

Suicide Squad was kind of a fun mess. It failed in so many ways and yet I slightly enjoyed myself.

Justice League is like if someone gave a kid a lot of money to make an 80s Saturday Morning Cartoon into live action. It’s fun but stupid. Painfully slow yet intriguing. The brutally conflicting styles of multiple directors is worth the price of admission alone.

1 Like

I will correct one thing; I forgot he directed the 300. which I did enjoy. The movie’s mythos is right in the middle of his wheelhouse.

I enjoyed Watchmen, but there was an effort to stay very close to the source material and include shots that were reproductions of iconic panels.

It when he strayed away from source material that the movies “got lost”, IMO. JL is “cute and amusing” in a B-movie kinda way.

1 Like

The theatrical version was watchable but I was not a fan. I have been told Zack stayed close to the source material. When I watched the director’s cut and saw Comedian supposedly shot JFK, I was done. I still remember the principal coming into my classroom announcing the president had been shot. Extremely poor taste and permanently alienated me.

1 Like

Zack Snyder is nothing if not in poor taste

3 Likes

The better question is why do some people not like his movies

5 Likes