Why Do People Enjoy the Zack Snyder Movies?

Uh…

…I have to disagree.

1 Like

I Like Zack Snyder

2 Likes

Honestly, at least from my perspective, the Batman vs Superman build-up in the film largely seemed to serve no purpose but to give them an excuse to re-enact the Batman vs Superman fight from TDKR. They started with that goal, and the story careened down railroad tracks toward it. As someone who doesn’t really care for TDKR, I sometimes feel frustrated by the fact that every Batman adaptation feels the need to keep drawing from that well.

A-freaking-men I HATE TDKR.

1 Like

Thank you. I’m always glad to find someone who shares my opinion about TDKR.

I meant in general.

Also now that I think about it, and read deeply into what @DeSade-acolyte has said, years later, I stick with that I believe Superman has had no effect in turning Batman into a “Convict-Brander”–which on DeSade’s part was just a postulation.

I think perhaps more integrally than Snyder bothered to explain is that his story is premised on Batman becoming a brander because of losing a Robin. This was what I was originally addressing in my older comment:

I still think the movie BvS is awful and disrespectful, but I do admire the Arthurian analogy/homage and I have a but more respect for the character development now that I know so much of the characters is premised on stuff off-screen. Definitely a failure to

Now after seen Snyder’s JL, I think he just really doesn’t understand why people love the characters. His JL characters are bastardized versions of what I want and what I feel like other DC fans want. I like his version of the JL movie, but it’s not something I love-- in the way that I love “Ironman” 1 and “Spider-man: Homecoming.”

I now fully admit, Snyder is an edgelord. He thinks he’s wise and wiley. He’s got an eye for the artsy fartsy, but he’s not very keen on character design or establishing a reason for his homages to old literature. He seems to know old literature by name, rather than why it matters or what its intention was. He doesn’t think thematically imo. He’s got clichés on drip. I’ll definitely watch suicide squad but I’m definitely out before the flash and the batman

2 Likes

Then you’re ignoring one of the most important scenes in the film.

We learn three things from that scene:

1. This is the first time that Batman has ever branded someone.
  2. Superman and the Metropolis battle have made Bruce feel powerless.
  3. That feeling has led Bruce to become cruel (i.e. branding someone).
1 Like

And that is quite a psychological leap between items 2 & 3. To take a character who’s primary motivation and mission is to make sure that what happened to him as a kid never happens to anyone else. To there is some all powerful dude, in another city, that kicked the crap out of me, so I’ll start branding people. It’s just a psychological non sequitur.
He goes from years of avenging criminals to revenge on criminals. It just doesn’t have any psychological foundation.

1 Like

Because even though I’m not into all of that “Cinematography” or however you want to say it. I do appreciate the fact that he doesn’t mind taking his time to Tell a Story. His style makes you want to pay attention and he truly makes the most out of every single frame. Plus his dark tinge to his style is something that just happens to be right up my alley. I may not agree with every little choice he makes in those movies, but the fact of the matter is…It’s his vision. And if that vision puts together movies that people can get lost in, then it’s worth having him continue to do so.

1 Like

Ironically I find his slow pace and easter eggs to other DC stories makes me get distracted thinking of other DC works instead, thus I am completely lost, as I am thinking of Smallville instead of Man of Steel.

1 Like

I just enjoy movies. It’s very rare for me to call movies “bad” or “garbage” or anything else the internet says about movies these days. I personally don’t think or nitpick while watching movies because I watch movies to escape from that kind of thing (and the same goes for shows). That’s just me though. As a writer, the only thing that might stand out to me is if a character says or acts a certain way that gives off signs of red flag… but that’s about it. I guess I just don’t care enough about movies to judge whether I love or hate them. Oh well.

Let me start by saying I’m not going to attack anyone else’s views here. I’ve seen a lot of back and forth and I don’t particularly care to get mixed up in all that crap!

First a little backstory. Superman the Movie and Superman II were my quintessential movies growing up! I saw Superman when I was 7, Superman II when I was 9 (and Batman when I was 17) And I still love watching them! Christopher Reeve’s Superman is nearly impossible to beat! (I may have outgrown his weak-willed Klutz Clark Kent portrayal. But there is no out-growing the sheer excitement of his first big rescue as Superman saving Lois and catching the helicopter!)

All that being said, I loved Man of Steel.
Admittedly, I’m a Post-Crisis Superman COMICS fan so the approach that he’s Clark first and Superman is just the suit he wears to use his powers publicly, is my preferred take on the character. And I liked the fact that Lois knew and kept his secret identity right from the start, doing away with the whole “if she only knew trope” that had gotten boring long before they ever threw it away in the comics.

Batman v Superman….not so much!
I mean, a Batman whose darker and breaks a few more bones here and there is one. thing. I can make allowances for that (particularly after knowing that Robin was already killed by Joker at this point.) However, I really can’t get behind the branding and outright killing Snyder’s Batman does in that movie. At least when Superman killed Zod and Doomsday, It was for the sake of stopping monsters that would have otherwise, willingly killed every human life on earth. Meanwhile, Batman’s killing was done just because Snyder felt it was more realistic and “grown up” (yeah, like how Titans is more “grown up” because Dick gets to say stuff like F**K Batman (eye roll))

Also, I Snyder needs to re-read Dark Knight Returns. Batman’s fight with Superman was never meant to be a killing battle. Batman had planned from the very beginning to take a dive at the end of that so that he could operate more covertly without Government interference. (Yes, he wanted to take Superman down a peg in the process, but ultimately, he never intended to do permanent harm to Big Blue the way he did in the movie)

Justice League for me is tolerable. I do like the Snyder Cut better for the most part. except I prefer Steppenwolf being attacked by the para demons in the Whedon cut (and for at least the final shirt rip, I wish Superman had the classic colors back on)

3 Likes

Then you’re just being willfully obtuse because you didn’t like the story that was told.

BvS completely explains the origin of Bruce’s behavior and how it applies and leads to his conflict with Clark, and it’s entirely consistent with pretty much every other modern live-action portrayal of the character.

That guy is not me.

This guy said things I only thought.

2 Likes