Why Did This Have To Be the Cover Art?

https://images.app.goo.gl/Wcc2GAfRvWo1Mfov9

I am going to reminisce on the old, unaltered DC Comic style and realize I am saving money by not getting the Marvel style. A bit bittersweet, but maybe something better will come later.

1 Like

I don’t know that this is precisely what you’re talking about (I did look at the image), but at my local shop, a question somewhat similar has been brought up again and again.

Is anybody else getting sick of all the variant covers? Especially since more often than not, when you get your order catalog, 50% or more of those variants have no sample (particularly DC Connect and the Marvel catalog in Previews), so you don’t know what the “better” cover is, compared to the “normal” one. And if the A cover is crap, why print it in the first place? Aside from just trying to weasel extra money out of people - at today’s individual issue cost - variant covers aren’t necessary, if the original cover is worth putting on the book in the first place.

And what if you don’t like the A, B, C or D covers? I can say that’s happened with me, more than once…

Okay, stepping down from my soapbox again, after having pulled it out over on “digital or paper” and sliding it under the desk once more…

I get what you’re saying. The same could be said for movie posters or DVD designs. Part of the appeal though is choosing a cover you like more than others, but if da Vinci made variants of the Mona Lisa, the appeal would be lessened on the original.

The point I was trying to make is all the Silver Age omnibuses up to this point had the same covert art- clearly indicated Silver spine and not distracting by trying to cram too much. Now, they take the Marvel approach like the Golden and Bronze Age by showing or some issue covers on the back. They’re already in the book, I don’t need them shown on the back, especially if it doesn’t include all of them. It just doesn’t make sense if they reprint Flash v1 to match the old look, why not reprint Wonder Woman to keep the old look for those interested?.

Yeah, I think I understand.

I remember seeing the Flash and JLA Omni volume 1 first prints somewhere along the line. They came out quite a while before they started doing Omnis on a regular basis, and they looked nothing like the ones they’ve been putting out the last several years. In fact, they had the overall art, rather than the “archive” style, with the artwork only in a small panel in the center of the cover.

So, there’s a precedent for the style you’re not happy about, but it was early in the Omnibus experiment.

I know changing the look of the books messes with the uniformity of the look of the books on the shelf, but my take on it is: At least I didn’t have to attempt to find the individual books, then shell out the money for them…

And my complaint about the variants isn’t necessarily the variants themselves, even though it might sound like it, it’s the fact that they often have two or three different covers, but you have no way of knowing what those other covers look like, because you don’t even get a thumbnail…

I have the original style of Justice League and Flash because those had their own look and style. Then, with the rest looking from their age color, it was good. But, when they wanted to copy Marvel, it became annoying. DC Comics was made before Marvel, so why DC Comics looks to Marvel instead of Marvel looking to DC Comics is a bit troubling. That’s why Wonder Woman should have a variant cover or just stop with the issue covers on the back- it’s not appealing and looks off.

I don’t know. While, yes, it’s nice to have the bookshelf all uniform, I’m just glad to have a lot of these books - many of which I’d never find, or be able to afford - in any kind of format.

1 Like

I just got this Wonder Woman Omnibus in the mail last week. I don’t mind the cover. It is among one of my favorites covers by the immensely talented team of Andru and Esposito.
But your point is valid.

1 Like