Why did people hate green lantern so much, i loved it. Same thing with man of steel.

Man of steel is literally my favorite dc movie and one of the best accurately told origin story’s in the dc universe of live action movies. Besides the animation in green lantern, i thought it was great as well.

4 Likes

Hate Green Lantern? The Ryan Reynolds movie? I didn’t hate it, it could have been better, but you can tell they were setting up for a sequel. The Sequel would have been a bigger hit. The movie didn’t have the right director in my honest opinion. I occasionally watch the film from time to time. I like some of the action scenes.

1 Like

I remember being disappointed never seen it again.

MOS was cool but destruction went overboard towards the end. Superman snapping neck like WUT other than cool. Neck snapped ruined the movie

1 Like

I remember being disappointed never seen it again.

MOS was cool but destruction went overboard towards the end. Superman snapping neck like WUT other than cool. Neck snapped ruined the movie

2 Likes

GL extended cut is a bit better, but I enjoyed it

3 Likes

The Man of Steel wasn’t bad at all. I started to read Action Comics because of it. It was different, but definitely had a lot of similarities to Superman’s origins. It was a powerful movie showing the audience what it is to be humble, learn sacrifice, accepting those that are different, etc. MoS is definitely one of my favorite DC live action movies right next to V for Vendetta. As a matter of fact, I haven’t seen a comic movie that can compare with these two.

As far as Green Lantern goes…it was good for a kids movie, BUT Ryan Reynolds in a CG suit killed it for me, :smile::sweat_smile::joy:. Also, I would have liked to see a Green Lantern movie sharing the same universe as MoS. If that meant making it darker and given a more emotional story, then so be it.

Thoughts…?

1 Like

Green Lantern is fine, at best, for what it is. It absolutely should’ve been better.

Man of Steel is absolutely fantastic. It’s a great start to the DCEU, was exactly the cinematic reboot that Superman needed and the music…oh, the music. Faora too =)

3 Likes

I love Man of Steel the neck snap and destruction don’t bother me. Zod was out to destroy human life and he would destroy any thing in his way. Not to mention what else would you expect from two Kryptonians fighting in a city. I’m my opinion not having destruction would be head scratching. I think it was John Campia who said people seem to have more of a problem with SM being put in that situation rather than what happened. I agree because I’ve seen multiple time people either say SM shouldn’t be put in that situation or it should have been wrote different. I can even agree that some thing should have been handled better or differently but not the ending.

As for Green Lantern I like it but it should have been better. The one thing I don’t get is the orange filter that seems to be used everywhere except on Oa. I know that doesn’t affect the story but every time I watch the movie it’s a constant aggravation. I think maybe they should have went with a smaller story instead of introducing the Lantern Corps, Guardians and Parallax. They could have had two or three of the LC show up looking for Abin Sir discover Hal with his ring and train him while searching for Abin She’s killer on earth. This way the movie isn’t over stuffed with characters, lore and locations. This also opens it up to add characters, lore and locations with a natural progression of the story.

2 Likes

Great responses everyone. Mos all day

1 Like

Anyone want to hit IHOP?

Suddenly, I have a craving for them. Maybe Pete’s working and can swing a group discount our way.

1 Like

Man of Steel is my favorite super hero movie. I don’t get why the destruction and neck snap bothered people. I have seen Metropolis destroyed so many times in comics. I have also see Superman kill as a last resort which is what the neck snap was.

3 Likes

I love man of steel. But hated the green lantern movie except Ryan Reynolds and Mark Strong.

I don’t go to a movie theater to see a “darker and grittier” Elseworlds-style Superman. That was why I hated Man of Steel.

1978, 1981, 1983, 1987 - The original Superman series. Arguably every one past the first was bad. I was born in 1980 so I only saw one of these in theaters. The one I saw was terrible.

I would wait for 22 years to see Superman in a theater again, in Superman Returns. Another bad Superman movie.

Then I next get to see a character with the powers of Superman, but none of the familiar characters and none of the heart and the core that makes Superman what he is to me.

Superman isn’t supposed to be dark and gritty. Clark Kent isn’t supposed to watch idly by as Jonathan Kent dies. Superman only kills, only kills, in very, very, rare circumstances. He never kills for flimsy reasons like, “my enemy is evil.”

The first time he killed in the comics it was only after the alternate Mara, Zod, and Non killed all life on Earth and pointed out to Super,an, in smug tones, on a dead Earth, that after he took the, back, once their powers were restored by the sun, they would kill everyone there too. They pointed out that, even without their powers at full strength, he could barely stop them.

He agonized over the decision to remove their powers, thus killing them. It wasn’t done on a whim. Then he exiled himself from the Earth, feeling as though he had no right to be there.

The only other time was against Doomsday.

———

In short… Zach Snyder didn’t understand Superman. He understood the powers, and the names, but he got everything else wrong. He did everything his own way. We got Superman is Zach Snyder had created Superman.

The problem is Zach Snyder didn’t create Superman.

Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster did.

The Superman we all know today was created by Marv Wolfman with the blessings of Shuster and Siegel’s estates.

Snyder? He’s so caught up with his own ego that I would bet the surgery I need to regain the use of my legs that he never even bothered to check.

He’s the same jerk who told people who didn’t think Batman should kill to, and I quote, “Grow the **** up.”

Zach Snyder doesn’t understand anything about Superman.

That is why I hate Man of Steel.

2 Likes

The movie had countless plot holes, wasn’t comic book accurate, no character development, bad cgi etc. Just little things that irked people. However, it was a fun movie to watch.

1 Like

If we’re talking about the comics then it pretty much boils down to the character being categorized as a low grade one before Johns revamped the franchise. Fans didn’t take him seriously because he wasn’t part of the trio (wasn’t “powerful” enough), he was known as being stupid the list goes on lol.

People really don’t talk about that movie

As someone who was a big Green Lantern fan years and years before Geoff Johns ever came remotely close to having any semblage of association with him, I never saw him as stupid, underpowered or anything like that.

I have always found Green Lantern as a franchise and a character to be immensely fascinating, supremely powerful and wonderful science fiction entertainment in general.

To each their own of course, but Green Lantern has always been of immense fascination to me in a variety of ways.

2 Likes

My problem with GL was it was simply generic and predictable. It was formulaic as they come. Years later I can enjoy it for what it is, but the Nolan movies made me think “WB finally gets these characters can be more than cartoon cut-outs of ‘good guys’ vs ‘Bad guys’. They finally get these characters are epic”. Needless to say, I was wrong.
After GL we got that first image of Cavill as Supes and I prepared for another generic kids movie. A live action toy commercial full of corny jokes and empty moral conflict, probably defacates on reality, the rules of physics, and the audiences intelligence. I was so wrong, that was everything I always wanted from a Superman film. It blew my mind that the internet narrative that the film was a “grim, dark take on Superman”. I just found it to be a serious take on a serious character. MoS is @#$%ing amazing and the complaints against it are childishly shallow. It’s like the movie pundit community wanted Superman as portrayed in Superfriends instead of the infinitely superior Max Fleischer cartoons, or you know, post-crisis comic book Superman. It was like John Byrne Man of Steel.

3 Likes

@Vroom: Where were people like you when I had to defend Green Lantern in countless debates when I needed it years ago lmao.

3 Likes

@Vroom: Everyone I grew up with hated him which sucked because it was ALWAYS Batman or Superman and nobody else. I was the odd man out in every conversation with my buddies LOL

2 Likes