Why are we going to have to pay separately for the FULL archive?

I came here for the COMICS! Marvel Unlimted is only $68/year. The only reason I paid $75 is for the comics PLUS there was streaming. Your original content isn’t even online yet! For what reason? There is none. Now I learn that the full archive won’t be available until October AND I have to make a seperate Purchase?!?! What the hell DC? Get you act together.

So MAD right now.

20 Likes

Where did you see the news about October and the extra payment?

It’s in the “Browse All” area of the Comics section. “Can’t find the books you’re looking for?
The full DC Comics digital library will be available for purchase in October.”

I have a sinking feeling it’s even worse than you’re fearing. I don’t think they mean there will be a single extra fee for the full archive. I think they mean it’ll be a charge per issue like on Comixology. That would explain the large number of single-issue offerings, if they’re teasers for buying each story individually. Agreed with you on the overall point, though: the only reason I got this service was to finally have the DC equivalent of Marvel Unlimited and it looks like this is never going to become that, between the “rotating” content and this issue.

5 Likes

Right, like why even have issue #1 of 52 Weeks? Do they really hope people will pay $1.99 for the other 51 books? That’s $100 for an 8 year old comic that isn’t in current continuity. It’s more frustrating than anything.

3 Likes

It’s in the app. Look at the very top. Tiny lettering, but it’s there. And I agree. This isn’t a single fee for the entire archive. It’s a per-comic fee just like buying them in the store.

I immediately regret this purchase. Saw that note and had a sinking feeling. I will and do spend more time reading. The rest is a perk, but if I have access to a few scattered books and incomplete stories…well I will consider the first $ to be a loss and move on. Disappointed.

5 Likes

I am hoping this service becomes very similar to Marvel Unlimited, or at the very least, they should provide an option to pay like $11.99 a month to get “DC Unlimited” and have access to all comic books 6 months old and older.

3 Likes

i say make the full digital library available for the premium members

4 Likes

Honestly, I feel this was a bait and switch. Looked forward to getting access to DC books. I’ll eat the $75 but just canceled my subscription to avoid auto renew next year. Feel like I’ll forget I even have this in a month. Lesson learned.

6 Likes

I would pay more for a premium service but it gives me a headache to think how that would work. I’ve prepaid 15 months so when the full catalog comes out next month do I have to bump up for 14 months or only 12 then what happens when the premium and basic don’t overlap? I think they fully intend to bring over the Comixology format where you have to pay $1.99 per back issue. So essentially we’re paying $75 for a comic reader app and extra to pay for the comics.

6 Likes

I’m not even wanting full archive. At the very least, give us arcs on rotation. Or let me view a certain number per week so I can choose what I want to read. There is no way I’m going to go through the entire archive each month, but give me a certain number that I can read each month from the full archive.

5 Likes

I am disappointed in the limited number of books per run. Where are you seeing that they will open up the archives next month but at an additional cost? I’d love to see them roll out, for example, Detective 1 - 26 pre Batman. Then 27 to 50, 51 to 75 etc. Do the same with Batman, Superman, Action and the rest. Give me a chance to go back and read the entire runs and complete books. Will the future release include the whole book? I read Flash Comics # and all it had was cover and Flash Story. No ads, not rest of the book.

3 Likes

I also purchased this solely based on the comics aspect. If I want to buy single issues I will continue to do so in Comixology, rather than having my books spread out over two entirely different platforms.
I do believe that in six months or so they’re going to realize that no one is buying individual books, and then will offer a premium service for access to a deeper archive.

7 Likes

I would have done the 75 just for the comics! What a scummy bait and switch! At least give us full arcs. This a mean sort of tease!

5 Likes

Here’s the simple answer.
Not having access to complete back issues is NOT what I want, and if it doesn’t change, I WANT MY MONEY BACK.

8 Likes

I will gladly, GLADLY pay $12 or $15 a month for access to the entire library of DC Comics, if they want to roll that out as an option.

2 Likes

This is very, very dissapointing. I did not subscribe to get half a story arc.

6 Likes

“Carefully curated” is not good enough. They are holding back to make more money and it sucks.

5 Likes

Also disappointed and think I will cancel.

4 Likes

I find the lack of comics kinda underwhelming. I mean what they have is better than i was expecting (i was worried that they would have solely issue #1’s) but it’s still lacking. I want to have hope this streaming service will do well but honestly i just hope it does well enough and lasts long enough for Young Justice to have a good run.