Who's Your Seventh Justice League Member?

True, however if you look at the whole of JL history, they’re certainly iconic members.

For the main question, I’m with most of the others who have amswered…when I picture the Justice League, J’onn J’onzz is always there.

4 Likes

That’s why I didn’t call the six above the “classic” lineup and went with “iconic,” the six above have been inextricably linked to the JLA ever since super friends and are the most iconic comic characters under the DC label. People who have never read a comic in their life know at least the names of the six above, including (and especially) Aqauman. Even if he was just a a meme to most people before his movie he was still widely known as a prominent DC hero. However, recently the final member has been shifting around, most notably it was Cyborg in New 52 and the JL movie. I do not want to know who you think SHOULD be in the Justice League, (we could be here all day with that one) but who you automatically picture as the seventh most iconic DC hero, who just naturally fills in that last slot for you? For me it’s Manhunter even though I don’t really like him on the league, his power set is too similar to supes for me to want them both, but that is who fills in that slot naturally for me.

Also Batman and Superman were actually founding members and were even in the first appearance issue of the JLA, however, during the first few JLA runs they would always bow out of the story early on in the issue and wouldn’t be seen for the rest of the story. If I recall correctly, why superman didn’t fight Starro in the first issue was because he was too busy punching meteors and batman was in some high-speed pursuit.

4 Likes

So you are saying that the Superfriends is the definitive JLA lineup?
That’s a problem because Flash and GL weren’t normal/weekly members of that team, but Robin was. So I’m still not feeling like I know how you came up with that group as the basic/mandatory/iconic 6.

If anything, I’d say that the JL/JLU lineup of their 7 is the most iconic. During the Superffeinds era MM was a very obscure character during the SF era, and Cyborg had yet to be created.

1 Like

Shayera!

4 Likes

For me, I would say Zatanna. The Magic element really helps. She put the Queen of Fables in a book :books: She can converse with the dead. She has skill sets other members don’t.

4 Likes

No, there is no definitive JL lineup, not in superfriends, not in JL/JLU, not even in the original comics run of the group, that is the entire point of this question. The six I chose are THE dc heroes, they are the most known by everyone and I mean EVERYONE. Even if they do not make the best or most interesting team, they are the six individuals that people think of when they think of DC comics, I just want to know who people think is the last member of that iconic lineup.

4 Likes

You just asked a few thousand people chosen at random?

I argue more of the general population knows the name Harley Quinn than naming one Green Lantern. More people probably think of Green Arrow more than Green Lantern, because of the CW series.

It’s your six, but to say that those are “THE” six, I disagree. Cyborg, Beast Boy, Raven, Starfire and Robin (thanks to the success of TT and TTG) all rate over a GL and Aquaman.

1 Like

I love J’onn. There’s other characters I wouldn’t mind seeing take that seventh spot (Black Canary and Red Tornado are also great on the League), but there’s something about Martian Manhunter that just makes the League the League. Without him, it always feels like there’s something missing. For one, he’s often the only one that doesn’t have his own book (such as with the six already provided), so the creative team is more free to play around with him. And his shapeshifting and telepathic abilities fill in some serious holes in the lineup. Plus, he has an interesting dynamic with Superman. They’re both the sole survivors of their worlds, but while Clark is pretty distant from all that death, J’onn lived it. He saw his family get killed, he saw everything he ever knew get burned to the ground. And while Clark fits right in in everyday situations, J’onn has to hide who he is. Also he was played by Carl Lumbly, which helps a lot.

5 Likes

Martian Manhunter. I can’t picture them without him

5 Likes

Personally, I’d have to say that I’d replace Aquaman as a permanent member with J’onn, and then have Zatanna be the “iconic” seventh member. She’s a mystic-type, which allows her to stand out from the other six, since none of them are magicians. Plus, there’d be another female character.

5 Likes

If you go to dccomics.com the six listed in the original post appear along with Cyborg in the Who’s Who section of the homepage. These are the big heroes/Justice Leaguers that DC has been pushing for the last 10 years. Cyborg is the newest to join those ranks, which I assume is why that 7th slot is being questioned here.

Martian Manhunter fills that seventh slot on the JLA in my mind, but I don’t necessarily view him as being iconic like the other six. I actually think Green Arrow (and as someone mentioned above Robin) is a more iconic DC hero than J’onn.

4 Likes

I think J’oohn is doing a s as low build into being more iconic for the general population. Certainly his stint on JL/JLU kick started him and the fact that he a regular on Supergirl has helped.

Zatanna as well.

2 Likes

Zatanna for sure!

2 Likes

Probably Hawkman. For a good part of the original series, Martisn Manhunter didnt appear. Like a hundred issues. That was when I began reading.

3 Likes

My seventh member would have to be Shazam or Hawkman

3 Likes

Easily Martian Manhunter

1 Like

Hawkgirl! :100: (Sorry but the team needs more ladies) And I’d cut Aquaman for Zatanna…or Martian Manhunter.

1 Like

There’s a retcon that was done for the jla year one limited series that had Oliver queen acting as a secret founding member, providing financial backing/resources to get the team started before officially becoming a member, and ever since I read that storyline, I’ve thought of the team with that point in mind.

1 Like

Don’t know if that would be considered a cheaty answer, but I’m going with that…

1 Like