Who is Your Favorite Member of the Bat-Family?

With all the Nightwing love out there, we just know there’s gotta be another member within the large expanse of Batman’s allies that you treasure.

• Is it the proverbial father figure, Alfred Pennyworth?
  • The raised-from-a-pup Cassandra Cain?
  • Bat’s best friend, Ace?

Let us know your choice, and why, in the comments below!

11 Likes

Batgirl, if I cant pick her then Batwoman.

#DCGirlPower

4 Likes

I’m gonna surprise everyone by keeping it simple.

Dick Grayson.

8 Likes

IT’S CASS. CASS! THE BEST LITTLE BAT WHO EVER WAS.

Cassandra was bred, born and raised to be the deadliest killer on Earth. Her language centers were taken from her just to make more room for fighting ability. But despite circumstances of birth and upbringing, she knew that this was the wrong path. She took to the streets of Gotham with nothing and no one to help her but her unmatched fighting skill. And she found a symbol that stood for a promise. That people of great skill, that the greatest terrors of the sky, didn’t have to kill. The monsters (as she thought herself) needed not be scary. They could even help. She knew then that she would be a Bat.

9 Likes

Cass, followed by:

-Tim Drake
-Barbara Gordon
-Dick Grayson
-Damian Wayne.

7 Likes

Barbara Gordon especially in animation.

The Mister Freeze Movie

Batman meet the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

4 Likes

All right, fine, you’ve lured me in. My top three:

1. Oracle. Not just Barbara Gordon, but Oracle. She’s… God, it’s hard for me to describe. When I was a kid, during the brief period of time when I got to watch BTAS, I was a huge fan of Barbara Gordon Batgirl, but it was Oracle who became more personally meaningful later to me. I love that she built herself back up from trauma. I love that she went from being collateral damage to being stronger and better than ever. I love that for her, recovery wasn’t just things going back to the way they used to be, that there was the acknowledgement that that’s not how it works, but that it was building something new. As a disabled woman in tech, I love that one of the most powerful people in the entire DCU was a paraplegic female hacker. Oracle really helped me to be okay with a lot of things I always struggled with, and she just… meant a lot to me.

2. Cassandra Cain. I… God, I love Cass so much. She’s so good, even though she has every reason not to be. I love that she was raised as a weapon and chose to be a person. I love her instant compassion, and how she can struggle to balance that with justice. I love that she’s so good at fighting and so bad at basic life skills. I love that she struggles with language and speaking. I love that she sees and brings out the humanity in those around her, even hardened killers. I love her dynamic with Steph and Babs and now with Harper. I’m different from her in a lot of ways, but I still identify a lot.

3. Jason Todd. I love him for so many of the same and yet different reasons than why I love Babs and Cass. I was introduced to Jason first in late middle school/early high school when I was still figuring out a lot of things and struggling with a lot of things, and something about him just instantly resonated with me, in ways that I both understood and that built up over time. I love Cass and Babs for making more of themselves after horrible trauma; I love Jason because he struggles and so often fails to do so. I love that he’s a ‘bad’ victim. I love that he came from a lower class background and fought for survival and that he’s cynical and bitter about it. I love Max Alan Collins Jason, bright-eyed and sardonic but still with a good heart, who lost it on Two-Face at first and yet came to forgive him in the end. I love teenage Robin Jason, even though I wasn’t supposed to; I love his anger on behalf of victims, as someone who’s been ignored and beaten and downtrodden himself. I love his fury at gendered violence and people who hurt kids. I love that he may or may not have pushed a rapist off of a balcony, but sure didn’t try to catch him either way. I love that he saw horrible things as Robin again and again and became worn down over it, and that at the end he still tried to save his mother. And, despite a few unfortunate plotlines and choices I’m glad are out of continuity now, I love Jason as Red Hood, the potential and the idea and occasionally even the execution. I love that he’s ANGRY. I love that his anger is so legitimate, that it’s justified, and yet that it still hurts and that he still struggles with it and acts out and handles it badly, and that it’s so much more difficult because he has every reason to be angry, but that doesn’t make it any easier to deal with. I love that he’s broken by his trauma and that he’s angry on behalf of himself and of others like him and that that still leads him to do morally questionable and wrong things. I love that he’s redeemable and sympathetic but still makes mistakes and bad decisions. I love that he’s snarky and funny and audacious and an absolute walking mess. I love that he’s slowly pulling himself back together but that he struggles and fails and relapses and falls back. I love that he’s been through this horrible trauma and he’s not okay. I just… I love Babs and Cass so much, and they’re my favs, but Jason is MINE.

7 Likes

Damian.

4 Likes

Cassandra Cain.
Omitting the Orphan iteration, naturally.

6 Likes

Greyson

6 Likes

It’s definitely Alfred. Mr. Pennyworth is the single best-supporting character in the DCU.

6 Likes

I am going outside the box Helena Wayne (Huntress) Some might consider Helena Bertineli

4 Likes

Alfred
Damian Wayne
Dick Greyson
Tim Drake
Renee Montoya
Oracle

3 Likes

Not Grayson

1 Like

Red hood and Tim Drake. Batman is the best ofc

3 Likes

Alfred!!! Total bad ass plus the heart and soul of the bat fam. In the comics especially he’ll do or say something just cuts me to the core and I get all teary eyed.

4 Likes

Barbara Gordon, no doubt. She relationships with other characters tend to improve them ten fold. In the first half of her new 52 Batman run, for instance, I remember the writers just making up a ton of villains that weren’t super compelling on their own, but were made awesome through their relationships with Barbara. Just a really great character.

3 Likes

*her relationships

2 Likes

I’m going to be boring and pick the obvious one everyone is ignoring. Because as much as I’d love to say Dick, Pre-Flashpoint Babs, or Cass (and they’re 2, 3, and 4, respectively), I’m somebody who was indoctrinated with a steady diet of Adam West and Kevin Conroy (Rino Romano too, for that matter) from an early age. As cool as the rest of the Gotham City setting and characters are, none of it exists without Batman. He’s the source. He’s the center. And he is awesome. He’s someone who has been through a tragedy that, while severe, is also very simple and human, and he uses it as motivation to fight for what he believes in. He’s someone who always stands up for his ideals, no matter the cost. Whether or not you think his principles are a smart idea, he stands by them (Zack Snyder, Tim Burton, and the first, like, three issues he appeared in notwithstanding). While he was fortunate enough to have the resources to pursue his mission, he wasn’t chosen to become a hero by chance or by the actions of others. He’s just someone who uses what he has available to him to accomplish amazing things.

Now, I love Nightwing. He’s cool and charming and a great foil to the rest of the Bat-Family. I love Oracle. She occupies a unique role and has an amazingly compelling personal arc of conquering her demons and becoming stronger despite the pain and the scars. Also, she stars in the best series DC ever published, so there’s that. I love Cass. While she doesn’t have as extensive a history, I consider her a genuine kindred spirit to Bruce and I like her for a lot of the same reasons I do him. I love Tim. For a long time, he provided a much-needed, very human, down-to-earth perspective on the crazy world of Gotham City. Heck, I even love Azrael, crazy jerk that he is.

But I loved Batman first and I’ll always love him the most.

6 Likes

I should think my favorite is pretty obvious since its my handle. :wink:

Aside of Jason Todd though I think I like Alfred best. I don’t believe any of the others would survive without Alfred to tend to their injuries, cook their meals and attend to day to day things. The man is a serious bada$$.

5 Likes