Who Is Your Favorite Hero of All Time?

I’m new here and I thought it would be cool to get to know everyone! So I ask a simple (or not so simple) question. Who is your favorite superhero of all time and why?

10 Likes

My favorite is The Question, because he never takes anything for granted. There’s always another mystery to solve, and it’s the pursuit of truth which gives life meaning.

11 Likes

When he’s written to his full potential, Superman. But 95% of the time, Batman.

6 Likes

Batman is my favorite, but Superman will always be the greatest, regardless of my opinion.

7 Likes

Firestorm! He’s really funny.

5 Likes

I don’t know who my favorite of all time is. I love DC because so many of their stories have heroes straddling the line of heroism. All of the complexities in each character and their circumstances draws me into their stories… At least until they hit comic book BS that stops meaning anything anymore, but I digress.

I really like static shock from his run on TV. Since reading new52 Justice league, I really started to love Cyborg. But I think one of my favorites of all time is hawk girl from Justice league and Justice league unlimited. Her struggle with Justice, duty, fate, and Independence was both relatable and inspiring.

7 Likes

Welcome to the community and my favorite hero is Superman.

5 Likes

Hi @kyomo911! Welcome to the community. I couldn’t agree more with so much of what you said here! So many DC characters toe that line, which truly does make them compelling, interesting to watch, and so much fun to root for. :smiley:

To get back on topic, my favorite character changes… a lot. It depends on which book I read last. Right now, I am back to loving my favorite acerbic, bitter little heir, Damian Wayne.

9 Likes

WHOA, @ZatannaAndHerSpells! “Two Truths and a Lie” spoilers!

5 Likes

Nightwing. After having read either a leaked script of a fan fictional story about how Dick got sprayed with Scarecrow’s fear toxin without any effect, I had always favored Dick Grayson (so much so that I even plan on naming one of my future dogs after him). I also like any former sidekick or legacy character who is around Dick’s age. Donna Troy, Wally West, Kyle Rayner, Roy Harper, Mon-El, Garth, Kara, Barbara(I want to add Nate Heywood and Jack Knight, but I’m not too familiar with the Steel and Starman legacy characters to say). And even though he is neither a legacy or a former sidekick, I tend to add Cyborg to this group, and I would eventually like to see him team up with John Henry Irons.

Outside of this group, I also like Hawk and Dove, Booster Gold and Creeper (all because of my exposure to them from the DCAU, Shazam (because of my exposure to him through through Young Justice and the movie. the two things I love about Shazam are that as Shazam, he has an adult body with the mins of a child, and I love that he is able to share his powers with his foster siblings.

5 Likes

Okay, Batman is pretty cool, but hear me out… DC has so many amazing heroes that it’s hard to choose just one. I’ve grown up with comics all my life and DC just clicked with me because it’s the one comic universe that is most lifelike. Not all the heroes have superpowers and sometimes, the villains win. Plus, who makes better animated movies than DC?
The answer: No-one.
So, to answer your question, I can’t really choose just one. They are all my favorites.

8 Likes

I’m off to change my answer!

3 Likes

My favorite has always been superman. Even with all his powers he has always been the most human down to earth hero. I find him really relatable. He is always considered a “boyscout” but let’s face it, doing the right thing isn’t always easy or what people want to do. It takes a really strong character to do the right thing when it’s hard, or it’s the unpopular thing to do.

6 Likes

@pennel777 I agree. I love Superman. And like you said, doing the right thing isn’t always easy and it takes a lot of courage and strength of heart to do that. Superman definitely has my respect.

4 Likes

Lex. He’s a hero in my mind, and also in many storylines.

3 Likes

I have to say Superman is mine, but to be honest I really like Booster Gold lol. The guys attitude is refreshing.

4 Likes

Batman’s been my favorite for a long time and a lot of reasons. I think at this point in my life, I find him interesting as a study in the philosophy and ethics of justice. He goes out every night to punch muggers because he believes every life is worth saving. He pursues criminals with unmatched determination because he believes that wrongdoers need to be held to account for their actions. He never kills because he believes there are some lines no one should cross. While I may not necessarily endorse the specific lines he draws, as a committed Kantian individualist myself I find his way of looking at the world inspiring.

I am also, partially as a consequence of his significance to me, incredibly picky about how I like Batman to be written. So oddly, I actually have more fun with characters I don’t like quite as much, but Batman is just my favorite fictional character. I go into any Batman story stressing about whether he’s going to be obnoxiously infallible or needlessly uncommunicative and abrasive, but I can just sort of sit back and enjoy, for example, a Nightwing story more easily.

5 Likes

This is an interesting take, @maddgodzinc.52154! Booster’s personality really is a breath of fresh air, someone who is just a little more human than many of our other favorite characters. It makes him a ton of fun to watch, even if he doesn’t get or deserve the same praise. At least, that’s my take on him.

Do you mind if I ask what else about his character fascinates you?

5 Likes

The infallible Hero frustrates me.

A good example of why is sometimes I watch Supergirl and I just finished the episode where the Daxom Queen is envading earth and they raid her ship. Supergirl stays behind to give the Queen a chance to surrender and by doing so she announces herself and gives the Queen the ability to destroy the cannon that would otherwise have destroyed her ship.

Heroes do this all the time. They hold their superior morality above the human lives they try to protect. They always do the “right” thing while watching people die.

So…

I choose Jason Todd. He’s a good dude, but he’s always willing to do what is necessary above what is right. If he has to he’ll put a bullet in someone’s head before monologuing innocent people to death.

4 Likes

And I have a tremendous amount of respect for Barbra Gordon.

Warriors aren’t the ones who always win. Warriors are the ones who never give up.

Barbra Gordon is a warrior.

4 Likes