Who is your definitive Superman actor?

Is it Christopher Reeve? Dean Cane? Tom Welling? Or perhaps even George Reeves?

Out of all of the men who have put on the glasses, worn the trunks, or sported the cape, who is your definitive Superman actor?

4 Likes

For me it was Christopher Reeves That brought Superman alive on the movie screen As as well as the bumbling Clark Kent

6 Likes

Christopher Reeves.

He pulled off the secret identity and the dual identity dynamic better than anyone imo.

7 Likes

Tom Welling is my favorite Clark but it’s hard to say he was my favorite Superman since we never really got to see it unfortunately.

Christopher Reeve was perfect.

4 Likes

Hate to be predictable but add Christopher Reeve for me too. He looks like the comic book come to life and played both Clark and Superman perfectly.

7 Likes

Christopher Reeve. But I have to throw a shout out to Tim Daly and George Newbern for there phenomenal voice work.

11 Likes

George Newbern. For the “definitive” version of a character, I always think of voices a lot more than live action, and the voice I think of is, nine times out of ten, the one from the DCAU. On that note, Tim Daly is really good too.

That said, of the live action actors, Christopher Reeve is easily the best. One of the reasons the '74 Superman is so good despite a kind of goofy plot is the phenomenal cast, and Reeve really brought a great charisma to the role.

5 Likes

Bud Collyer, the voice actor from the Max Fleisher cartoon. He gave us the benchmark for Superman and Clark, there is such a tonal difference between the two. I think that’s biggest “flaw” I have with everybody else. Reeves probably came the closest, but still not nearly as well as Bud did.
It makes the most sense too. Just a pair of glasses and slouching isn’t going to cut it. We pick up so much about people, and make value judgements on them, through their voice, much more so than appearance.

4 Likes

I didnt even consider the voice actors so shame on me.

Ive always liked George Newbern. He really captured Supes leadership qualities and positivity.

To me his voice is the voice I imagine when I read Supes comics. Just like Conroy is for Batman and Hamill with the Joker.

2 Likes

Cavill.

4 Likes

Cavill

4 Likes

@ DeSade-acolyte nice call on Bud Collyer!

2 Likes

@DeSade I agree with @DCComicsCrisis! That was a very good answer, I didn’t even think of him!

4 Likes

Just Supes, it’s Cavill. Both Clark and Supes, no one beats Christopher Reeve with Brandon Routh in second. They both did a great CK.

4 Likes

Superman was the first hero that I had ever seen in a theatre. I saw his movie before I had even heard about the Marvel movies. He has and probably always will inspire me to be better than myself. That is why Cavill is the definitive Supes for me.

4 Likes

George Reeves

2 Likes

I really wish Cavill had better material. I think he had the potential.

6 Likes

Christopher Reeve

7 Likes

Christopher Reeve overall.

I like each of the actors I’ve seen for different reasons/settings though.

5 Likes

Funny how you left Cavill and Routh out of the original post :joy:
I’d pick Chris Reeve for purely nostalgic reasons. Cavill is great in the role; really hope WB brings him back.

2 Likes