Who Is The New Black Lantern? [Theories]

Earlier today, artist Mitch Gerads and writer Joshua Williamson tweeted out this teaser image for a new cosmic mystery in the DC Universe:

Intriguing, right? Black Hand’s been out of the picture for a while, and Batman’s done with it after Death Metal, so it’s time for somebody new to take up the power of Blackest Night.

I already have my theory: we already know from Infinite Frontier #0 and solicits of the Infinite Frontier event this summer- written by Williamson- will feature Alan Scott in a central role. So who do we know related to that corner of Green Lantern cosmology, with established ties to the darkness of the DCU?

Answer: Alan’s darkness-channeling, often psychologically troubled son, Obsidian.

Calling it here first – Todd Rice is the new Black Lantern.

8 Likes

Some other compelling theories:

• Roy Harper, who has returned from the dead in Infinite Frontier #0 with no explanation, least of all for himself.
  • Alfred Pennyworth, who’s come back from the dead as a villain before. Wishful thinking, maybe, but this could be how we get him back.
8 Likes

My first thought was that I would hate all of these.

But then I thought about Alfred some more.

It does make you go hmmmmmmm. This could be totally different than Alfie being the Outsider. There’s room to play here.

5 Likes

Anything, if it means Alfred comes back!

I’m trying to think of who else is dead right now. :laughing: Maybe someone from Sanctuary?

5 Likes

I’ve heard Alfred and especially after watching the Pennyworth S2 finale. I’m up for it.

I like the Obsidian theory you mentioned. What if it’s a twist and it’s Jade :thinking:

Other Sanctuariers sound interesting.

I was thinking some lanterns and my mind went straight to Jessica Cruz for some reason. What she been up to after the Odessey ended and infinite began.

Or someone new. Who’s say they have to be bad as a BL. What if it’s a New BL hero. :thinking:

2 Likes

Oliver Queen post Crisis?
Or the Joker post Injustice?
Or Ronnie Raymond is making a come back from Cancer?

3 Likes

is it just me or does the thing look like it is under water, is there a water related person who died or someone who drowned? Obsidian making a comeback makes the most sense though.

5 Likes

Obsidian seems a bit too obvious, but…more obvious things have happened.

taps chin in thought

I wouldn’t want it to be Alfred, as him being a temporary villain has been done, and would feel of a “been there, done that, couldn’t we come up with a new idea instead?” air.

I’m curious how Roy suddenly popped up. Maybe Black Lanterns have a strict “no hats” policy? It’d explain where his cap went, and as a Black Lantern, that’d give Roy a new adventure to embark upon.

In all honesty, I bet it’s Funky “Don’t ask, just buy it!” Flashman. He won’t care if people like/dislike him as a Black Lantern, just that you buy the book(s) his turn happens in.

4 Likes

Either Obsidian or Roy Harper. Although I need a Black Lantern Alfred in my life.

3 Likes

The only way I could get on board with Alfred is if they used the story to make Damian less of a sociopath. While trying to reach Alfred, Damian is also given a redemption arc through the reconnection of that relationship.

4 Likes

While I certainly wouldn’t say no to Alfred coming back at some point, I don’t think it’s really necessary now, and I don’t think I’d want him coming back in THAT way.

3 Likes

Is there anyone in the book who wears whiteish gloves? Because I can’t tell if that cover is just cool imagery or maybe a hint at who’s gonna take up the ring. I’m liking the Obsidian theory, but I feel like there’s something else at play here.

2 Likes

I don’t know how I’m just now hearing about this. If you want to get me interested in a comic, pretty much all you have to do is throw the word “Lantern” around and I’m sold. :stuck_out_tongue: Especially a non-Green Lantern, I always love seeing the other Corps explored more.
I hope whoever it is has a real emotional impact to it, and not just “this guy has a zombie ring now”. :stuck_out_tongue: What made Black Hand effective in Blackest Night, I thought, was the super creepy psychology driving him.
I would enjoy someone totally out of left field. Maybe New 52 Superman or someone like that. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

That sounds interesting. Definitely a twist.

2 Likes

I mean, wasn’t that the ending of Sideways?

4 Likes

Haven’t read that yet. So guess that theory is ruled out :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

If I may present a rather crazy theory, at the end of Infinite Frontier Issue 0 Darkseid killed a whole bunch of people including The Phantom Stranger and The Spectre, so is there any chance it could be one of them?

3 Likes

Oh, that’s actually not bad. Could you imagine how powerful a Black Lantern Phantom Stranger would be? Scary.

4 Likes

That would be absolutely terrifying. Personally I’d be more scared of a Black Lantern Spectre, but even if it turns out to be neither of them I cannot wait so see how this plays out.

2 Likes

I don’t think Spectre is part of the Quintessence though? IIRC it’s Phantom Stranger, Hera (formerly Zeus), Shazam (the wizard), Ganthet, and Highfather.

3 Likes