Who Is Stronger, Superman or Supergirl?

I’m only asking this because I used to watch Supergirl on the CW. I stopped watching because I hate the way they down play Superman. Every time he’s in the episode they feel the need to say that’s Supergirl it’s stronger than Superman.

It’s been hinted at that Kara has the potential to rival or surpass Superman in the pass- they’ll never actually let her get that far, but that’s besides the point.

Realistically speaking, they’re both Kryptonian, they both have the same powers. If it came down to a fight to the death between the two, it’d really be just a matter of who could land the killing blow first. I mean, Zod in MoS was leaps and bounds more experienced that Superman in terms of fighting, but both had the same level of strength and Clark just managed to do the famous(or rather infamous) sonic boom neck snap first.

2 Likes

Superman

1 Like

Supergirl is usually portrayed as the stronger one

1 Like

Supergirl is stronger but would lose in a fight against Superman. He has better control of his abilities than she does.

1 Like

My comments are most closely related to @Truth-Of-Pisces’ post. I’d say Kara is portrayed as the stronger of the 2, but it would come down to who was willing to “go there” 1st. It would probably be a matter of some form of mind manipulation “if” they ever went there with the original Supes & Supergirl but I’m speaking of Kara not Linda Danvers. She’s technically older but u know the story. So the Boy Scout had more time to grasp & control his powers by the time Kara arrived, but after she soaked in the yellow rays she would probably take him if it ever went that far. I’m biased towards female characters tho so I’d pick the females to win more often than not.

1 Like

Supergirl was on krypton longer than Baby Kal. Her body is tougher than Superman because he didn’t even walk on Krypton. Her muscles are much stronger then his.

2 Likes

Supergirl isn’t and will never be stronger than Superman

1 Like

Zod lived in Krypton much longer than Superman and yet he doesn’t stand a chance against Supe

3 Likes

Wait a minute, hasn’t Superman been absorbing yellow sun radiation since he was an infant? Like thirty plus years! Wouldn’t that make him stronger than any Kryptonian in existence?

4 Likes

I have only watch the first season and a little over half of the second season, but what I can tell you from reading lot of Supergirl comics is the that they have always portrayed supergirl has being faster & stronger than superman, however in the comics it is pretty much hinted at this may not be true due to the fact that Superman is always holding back a lot of his power at all time, while Kara is a bit reckless and doesn’t always have her power under full control witch may play a part in that. Its also been hinted at that superman being a baby when he came to earth, was able to get his powers slowly and over time for better control, while kara received hers all at once at around the age of 16. so it seems like she is way more powerful but not really.

2 Likes

As always, it depends on what is needed for the current arc, but they have the same powerset. For all means and purposes consider them equal.
If the story calls for Kara to come out on top, she will. If the story calls for Superman to come out on top he will. If the story calls for Condiment Man to defeat them both, he will.

Kara has several times in history been claimed to being more powerful than Kal, so believing that Superman would be unequivocally stronger is just plain wrong, but the opposite is just as false in my opinion.

Most importantly: El mayarah
They are stronger together

2 Likes

I also forgot. In Superman Batman Apocalypse. Batman studies Supergirls DNA when she arrives by crashing her pod into the Gotham river. Batman tells Supes he’s worried b/c Supergirl metabolizes sunlight faster than Superman, & says, I believe she’s stronger than you. Granted, that’s one stories opinion. It does add to all the evidence in the comics tho of her being more powerful then Supes.

Supergirl isn’t and will never be far more powerful than Supe

in most of the comics, not made up b’s by vie or tv director, superman always holds back on Kara. He us stronger his power is limitless and most of the time it is he saving her ass.

Supergirl is stronger. Superman wins in a fight. They would never fight.

Edit: let me elaborate. I watch a lot of MMA- if strength was the determining factor in who wins a fight, they’d all look like body builders. But its more than that. “If size was all that mattered, the elephant would be the king of the jungle”.

MMA competitors don’t look like bodybuilders because they don’t specifically train to increase muscle size and sculpt idealized physiques (there’s also the matter of synthol and various other “site enhancement oils”). They train to fight. While size and strength aren’t all that matter in a fight, they do confer a significant advantage. There’s a reason why all combat sports have weight classes. Aside from man, a full-grown elephant has no natural predators.