Who else is underwhelmed with the new Young Justice Outsiders season?

Who else thinks Outsiders seems a little long winded with character development and strong liberal undertones. Less action and story progression. Not what I was looking for when asking for another season of YJ.

8 Likes

I agree. Where’s the action?

2 Likes

I would say i am more whelmed than not. Once the season concludes, I can watch it again. with or without the accompanying podcast analysis. And that was my intention before they announced a season 4.

It’s just not as good as it once was. They are more focused on checking off the SJW boxes than making a great show. This is the same problem the shows in the Arrow-verse developed which ultimately ruined them, and made them annoying and unwatchable.

4 Likes

Thank you. Thought I was alone. I have actually gave up on it. Between this and Doom Patrol, I probably won’t resubscribe. Still don’t understand why Swampthing got dropped. Is definitely the best product so far.

1 Like

To me it is lacking some serious action.

Amazing how many people use this app that mysteriously hate everything almost like trolls are getting free trials

2 Likes

@foodini right?!

1 Like

I personally like this season, it does seem to be a bit slower compared to the previous two seasons. But I’m perfectly fine with it

1 Like

This season needs to be binge watched to do it justice. It’s being put out weekly but has the formula of a netflix show

2 Likes

I think it’s more about the rewatch than sitting in one spot to consume the entirety of the season. The show in general is somehow geared for that because it took me more than one rewatch of season 2 for me to really get it.

I think now that we’re gearing towards the end of the season, it’s picking up. This week’s episode put a lot on the table. Black Lightning figured out Batman’s subterfuge, Barbara called out not only Bruce but Gar on their nonsense, Dr. Jace showed us what she was really up to and Granny found her ace in the hole for the Anti-Life equation. I know it took us a while to get here, but it’s starting to feel like Young Justice again. I hope the final three episodes of the season this coming Tuesday give us something really special.

2 Likes

When people start talking about “SJW” as a reason to not like something superhero related, it makes me know that they don’t really understand the source material. Superheroes are “SJW’s”, and have been from the very beginning; I’m talking back since the 30’s and 40’s. Those iterations were the “SJW” of their era. In fact, the founder of DC (Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson) was the ultimate SJW of his day.

It also makes me realize that people throw around “SJW” as a negative, it speaks alot about their person.

Either way, if DC’s material is not for you, then perhaps there are other publishers/franchises/studios, whose material is far less SJW (re: not fighting for anyone, except themselves) that may be more to your taste.

4 Likes

As for this season of YJ, this is absolutely amazing. It’s a love letter to all things DC, especially the New Gods. In fact, this season made me realize just how ahead of their time DC and Kirby was, when they created the New Gods, with their Mother/Father Box technology. Who would’ve known that life would imitate Kirby’s art in this way?

I’m loving everything on DCUniverse thus far, but YJ is so crash.

1 Like

I think the season has been trying too hard to connect with the social media age. The #We are all Outsiders bit feels like it means well by unifying the younger generation and all, but it also feels a bit overdone. The fact that the majority of the season also involves public images, discrediting political opponents, and literally using the phrase “fake news”, it seems like the current political landscape was a major influence on the writers. Justice League Unlimited also tackled political issues such as secret organizations, Lex using his presidential candidacy to mess with the League, the ethical question of literal superpowers monitoring and acting automatously, etc. but it was done in a more subtle and nuanced way. Regardless of my own political views I would have preferred them to have been less obvious with their utilization of politics. I do disagree with the idea that the show is only leaning in favor of liberal politics. It is obvious that the majority of the cast is liberal, however, their actions have had consequences such as the most recent episode where their actions are brought to light and their friends feel betrayed and manipulated.

Moving away from politics, I feel that the main reason I’ve felt underwhelmed by the current season has more to do with the sheer scale of the cast created. There are so many characters, so many relationships, so many plotlines, that trying to balance them all out makes the show feel extremely slow. The original first season had amazing character development and great action because there was really only about half a dozen members to deal with. The second season expanded the first, the original members were still relevant and stories became focused on select members but still developed the majority. Some felt out of place or overall just “there”, Lagoon boy was just there to create tension between Superboy and Miss Martian, Batgirl, Wondergirl, Bumble Bee, Guardian, etc. didn’t have any big story arcs or real relevance. The issue has only become more apparent with the current season. Characters that have joined “the team” aren’t even getting much development at all. Arrowette, Orphan, Spoiler, and Traci 13 have barely had any screen time. The Outsiders themselves have had the most development, but it also feels weird to essentially watch a new season that puts the characters we’ve grown to love on the backburner this season.

4 Likes

last episode was a step in the right direction, things are starting to pick up. I think maybe the season will finish on a high note.

But I’m in the minority thinking they should wrap the show up sooner than later. The longer it goes on, the more of a giant mess its becoming and the less I care for the characters.

2 Likes

I agree with @khristian02, too many characters and too many different teams. I liked the season 1 characters. Season 2 was alright because the original characters were still heavily involved. This season just has new characters everywhere and none of them particularly interesting to me. I don’t even know the names of half of them. Guess I’m old!

1 Like