Who else binge read Superboy Vol 4

Yesterday, I finally finished Superboy Vol 4, well I mean I can’t find Superboy #100, but I finished it. what I would like to know is what did other people think of it, because what i thought was Superman’s clone saving the day and being a famous celebrity, but also going through the struggles of responsibility. It wasn’t just Tana Moon’s death that hurt Superboy. it was either people being mad at him for “making fun” of hawaiian culture while the media says Superboy made a fake event that endangered lives, and then when he goes missing, all of his friends leave hawaii. Then after he comes back from the other world after regaining his memories, Superboy finds out his friends are gone and he still feels like “The Last Boy on Earth”. But there was also some entertaining moments like Superboy travelling to different dimensions or having his own animated tv show, or maybe even going around town with Knockout. It was really exciting and a little bit depressing at the same time. maybe i just imagine Superboy as a younger version of Bojack Horseman, since they’re both celebrities from the 90s who’ve been through hard times, although i could be wrong. There was also that time Superboy turned into an adult despite the fact that he was stuck at an age of 16 when Roxy Leech gave him half of her dna when Superboy was melting. It was exciting but then Tana was murdered and she died while Superboy was still an adult, that’s when Superboy finally learned responsibility. although then there was a few other changes in Superboy’s life, like getting a new suit, and starting a relationship with Batgirl (Cassandra Cain) for awhile, and then Cadmus got shut down by the president at the time, Lex Luthor aka Superboy’s real dad. not only was Superboy traumatized by the things he saw in Our Worlds at War, like Impulse going into a coma but now he was homeless. Until he finally found an apartment and got a job as “The Super”. it lasted a few issues, but I don’t really know what happened after because the next thing i knew he was trapped in a kid version of Flashpoint where instead of superboy, there’s Doomsboy. So that’s pretty much it for what I have to say about Superboy vol 4. Oh, and I keep calling him Superboy, but his real name is Kon-El. what do you guys think?

If you want to know what happened to that version of Kon-El, read the original Young Justice; John’s Teen Titans and Adventure Comics; Infinite Crisis; and Legion of 3 World

1 Like

Oh I’ve read some of Young Justice and Teen Titans, Thanks

He’s also back in the ongoing Young Justice title by Bendis.

1 Like

I’m aware of that

dang you bounced around a lot lol,but there was a lot thst happened in that series, and I liked it, and miss it.

In a different thread about the Round Robin, someone put it well where they said that we essentially have two versions of Kon - the 1980s post Reign of the Superman Metropolis Kid (which I think is the one that has the most fans, particularly post that solo run), and the version once Johns changed his origin to include Lex’s DNA and that was in the Young Justice and Teen Titans run. While that run has fans, I think more fans are into the New Teen Titans team or the TTG version of the team (neither of which include any Kryptonians, really, and a version of Kon which is more of a fanon idea that mixes the YJ run, the YJ series.

Sadly, I don’t think they really did what they could have with the Wonder Comics YJ - Bendis had too large of a team and really felt like he was more concerned with his OC and the new people like Jinny Hix and too much time was spent with characters/idea you don’t normally associate with YJ or Teen Titans, like Gemworld, that brought nothing/did nothing to expand the YJ universe but otherwise just bloated and convoluted that run. Twenty mostly pointless issues…

1 Like

When I think of Conner Kent, I always think of his 90’s solo series and Peter David’s YJ series before Johns put him in jeans and a T-shirt. I like the Johns story, but that costume design isn’t very creative. And he’s way too big for his age in those books. He’s drawn as large as Clark.

Agreed. I love Patrick Gleason’s art in general, but I am not at all a fan of the spikes on the leather jacket and think it’s a totally unnecessary and pointless edge-lord-ish homage to nothing in particular and I was both disappointed sorry to see that Jahnoy Lindsay kept that for the Superboy of Tomorrow look and hope when they do the actual run it’s not used. I wished I had caught the Q&A they recently did with him and Kenny Porter so I could have brought it up as a question.

2 Likes