Who Does Batman Find Funny?

Batman has a complex, often dark, usually laconic, and sometimes pun-based sense of humor. One person he’ll never find funny, of course, is The Joker.

But it makes me wonder: who, according to Batman, would you say is the funniest person he knows?

Is it young Dick Grayson, with his darkness cutting wisecracks? Alfred, with his sardonic observational wit? Damian, with his sheer audacity? Or maybe someone else? Perhaps somebody in the Justice League? I’d love to hear your thoughts.

(Personally, I think Batman finds The Question hilarious.)

6 Likes

Gotta be Alfred, lol. Dad jokes.

4 Likes

Always laughing on the inside at Plastic Man and Guy Gardner.

2 Likes

Jerry Seinfeld once hypothesized that Superman, in addition to his super strength and super speed, also has a super sense of humor well beyond that of the average human. With that in mind, it stands to reason that Batman, Superman’s BFF and longest-standing ally, would find him funny.

2 Likes

Lucius fox

1 Like

He seems to lighten up the most around Alfred and Dick, so I’ll go along with them.

3 Likes

Selina.

I can’t imagine being in love with someone who didn’t make me laugh.

1 Like

I’ve got to go with Alfred. Their relationship is probably stronger (in my opinion) than any of Bruce’s relationships with the robins, and Alfred’s wittiness really plays off of Batman’s dark nature in way that lightens him up—breaking the wall between Batman and Bruce.

2 Likes

Selina for sure

3 Likes

Bat-Mite.

3 Likes

Dave Chappelle.

1 Like

Surprised nobody said it yet…

Joker made him laugh uncontrollably at the end of The Killing Joke, what an amatuer joke though lol

3 Likes

I’m no expert on the Batman, but the first images of him laughing/grinning that pops up in my mind are the following:

• He is hit by laughing gas
  • The old morning cartoon group chuckle.
  • He smirks at something funny he just said.

I’m going to have to go with the answer being himself. I think he enjoys his own puns most of all. :smiley:

2 Likes

I’d say Alfred fits the bill in most respects.

When he needs a quick pick-me-up of laughter, he probably looks back on when he dropped Guy Gardner like a sack of dirt.

4 Likes

@Gibbyhertz: I always read that sequence not at Batman laughing at Joker’s joke, but the utter absurdity of their situation. The way you might laugh when things go so, so bad that it becomes funny.

2 Likes

@Coville, that’s a pretty good answer. And it creates a great parallel between himself and The Joker! Each of their comedy is meant for an audience of only themselves.

2 Likes

Huh, maybe so, never thought about it that way!

I always thought it was the one moment where Batman allowed himself to relate to the Joker and see through his eyes for one brief moment but I could be wrong.

1 Like

I imagine he’d find Alfred funny. Ol’ Alfie’s the one who raised him, so if Bruce has a sense of humor, that’s where it would come from. There’s also a different kind of comradery there, too. They’re not allies in a war or something, they’re just old friends with a common goal.

@HubCityQuestion: Eh, I’d say the Joker’s comedy is meant for as broad an audience as possible, and most people just don’t find it funny because he’s a violent serial killer. Batman’s jokes are private and he doesn’t really care if anyone hears or appreciates them, while the Joker would love nothing better than for everyone in the world to be laughing at his jokes.

I’ll definitely go along with himself, Alfred, and Selina, but I don’t think we’re giving Dick enough credit. Even if he doesn’t specifically laugh at Dick’s jokes, almost every continuity portrays Dick’s tenure as Robin as one of the happiest times in Batman’s career. Part of that was the lack of the tragedies that started to kick in after Dick left, but I also think that when Bruce took in Dick was the first time since he was eight that he wasn’t lonely.

Somewhat-related-but-probably-off-topic note that this conversation made me think of: I think a person’s sense of humor says a lot about them, so while I think it’s appropriate that he’s somewhat serious and moody, I actually find it rather boring when Batman is written with NO sense of humor. In the Bronze and early Golden Ages, he had much more of a dry wit. Oddly, one of my favorite portrayals is Justice League International, where he’s all growly and serious, but drops the occasional one-liner that it takes everyone a moment to realize even was a joke. I guess I sort of like the idea that “Batman” is as much a mask as “Bruce Wayne,” and Batman’s more antisocial behaviors are meant to spook criminals. The “real Bruce” is a bit more human, so a bit of his sense of humor pops up unexpectedly through the “Batman” mask just as a bit of his seriousness sometimes unexpectedly shines through the “Bruce Wayne” mask. As I said, that’s less how I think most writers portray him and more my pet interpretation, but I tend to like a somewhat more human Batman who’s nicer than most interpretations but also screws up more often.

2 Likes

Plastic man