Who Do You Want to See Break Up?

I see posts now and then that say “who would you like so and so to have a relationship with”. Personally I have never been into the romantic relationship part of comics, and there are some heroes/villians that I would prefer they break up and be single.

1. Superman and Lois. This is the top of my list. I liked the marriage for awhile, but it is just stale now. No one in comics stays happy for this long. Even their kid ( Jon ) is too perfect. They all need to be taken down a peg or 2.
  2. Harley and Ivy. Yeah, I know this will be controversial. This is another one that has been going on for too long, The thing I never liked about this relationship is it changed the characters too much. When you get down to it, Ivy is a despicable person who has inflicted untold suffering on a lot of people. Harley has always been a victim of circumstance, mostly at the hands of the Joker. The problem with their relationship is they are written like a couple of clowns. ( OK, maybe Harley is a clown, but Ivy is not ). If they were written in a more darker, serious tone, it would make for better reading.
10 Likes

I can’t speak that much regarding Superman & Lois. So I’ll just say…why can’t people be that happy? It isn’t like they are naive or haven’t had their fair share of struggles.

As for the Ivy and Harley part - I would argue that it isn’t forced change as much as natural and complex character growth. While Ivy might sometimes be presented as more jovial, that’s mainly when she appears in Harley’s book. If you read Ivy in her current book, she is more grounded and more fleshed out. Regardless, I highly enjoy them as a couple.

7 Likes

This topic is fighting words @Bullcan :rofl:

them-fighting-words-conan-obrien

I’ll throw my hat in the ring and say Zatanna and John Constantine. I don’t care for them as a couple as you hardly see them doing any couple things together. DC really has only been interested in showing John’s Bisexuality anyway, so them together is just confusing for his LGBT fans. They work better as just friends/allies in my opinion

7 Likes

Bat/Cat as well. I’m sorry Bat fams I really am, but there toxic as hell. I don’t like will they or won’t they relationships and their is so bad it’s becoming a satire. Where reaching points of Ross/Rachel levels of nonsense with these two.

8 Likes

@Samsonkillingtime Regarding both of your statements…I can’t say your wrong. While there are moments I like Zee and Constantine together, there is just too much bad history between them at this point.

As for Bat & Cat…I feel like a lot of issues some people point out and criticize can be attributed to DC editorial just being too stubborn to actually let them be together. But I’m also not blind to their personalities either. This part has me torn

7 Likes

I disagree with both of the opening statements. I think there are plenty of ways to keep a story featuring a stable relationship interesting.

As for couples I’d like to see broken up… I just haven’t been impressed with Bernard Dowd. I think Tim Drake deserves a more interesting boyfriend.

9 Likes

Tim and Bernard. I need them to be done.

7 Likes

Ignore the fact that they are currently my profile picture

7 Likes

Bernard’s pretty much what we call a “starter boyfriend”

7 Likes

Exactly, let him date someone interesting. What they’ve had has been fun and sweet but Tim deserves more than just a bland sanitized queer relationship.

7 Likes

Hard disagree, Sups deserves to be in a happy marriage, the fact that someone hasn’t ruined their relationship yet is astounding as a Spider-Man fan I am jealous.

That I do kinda get, Harley going from the hands of a insane criminal that doesn’t care about humanity to the hands of an insane criminal who doesn’t care about humanity isn’t really much of an upgrade.

8 Likes

theyve been broken up for a bit and only like had one good interaction towards the end of gotham war

and detective comics has good interactions but tec is mostly disconnected from other stuff i think

6 Likes

what would you suggest ? please dont say the really annoying take (not saying what it is because im hoping your answer isnt it)

7 Likes

I have really complicated feelings about it. I wish that DC would just focus on giving him some more character development right now. He doesn’t have to be dating someone at all times. I don’t know who I would want him to be with honestly. I’m a big timkon shipper but I do not want DC to make them cannon because I know they would freaking ruin it so fast. Bringing back his relationship with Tam Fox would be fun.

7 Likes

death
exact answer i didnt want to see

6 Likes

I get a lot of people are against it but I’m far too gone to go back from shipping them now lol

5 Likes

Sure. But it’s not really about current successes or failures. It’s the fact that relationship has been a tug of war for too long and while they have good moments, they also are a relationship too chaotic. It is editorial influence that has kept these two apart, but also the writers who write their relationship as a messy codependent nightmare. :rofl:

7 Likes

gonna be honest
nowadays tim doesnt feel like the same character that ive seen him be in previous comics ever since the change and if they made superboy be in a relationship With Any Batfam member he would cease to exist as a character and only be a metaphorical object the character carries

conner is in a really good place right now (just got a new girlfriend, got a miniseries and is featured in speed force and action comics) and tim is still struggling to get back to being (i dunno any word to describe what im saying but tim just isnt back as tim yet if that makes any sense)
i feel like not only would conner cease to exist as a character but hes already popular as a brand and this would likely not help popularity

i think a civilian relationship could probably work for tim very well (gonna throw a random idea out
wendy harris ?)
a relationship between the two would not help either of the characters

6 Likes

Trust me I don’t like it. I want to see them married and have baby Helena Wayne. It would be my dream comic for Damian to teach his little sister stuff. That’s the goal!

6 Likes

This is a big problem, I agree

One of the many reasons that even though I ship them so much it makes me insane I would not be happy to see them be together in the current state of comics

Somewhere on here is a rant I did aboutwhy Tim wouldn’t be good in a civilian relationship as of right now.

6 Likes