Who Are All the LGBT+/Queer Characters at DC?

Okay, I can see it now.

1 Like

This has now been revised 52 times.

1 Like

We have officially reached 16 pages.

1 Like

Which I have learned is the maximum amount of pages I can go without explaining Doctor Who.

1 Like

I can’t wait to see what you do this year.

1 Like

Also, not that it wasn’t great, but why only Pride Month? Why not Women’s History Month, Black History Month, AAPI Heritage Month, and Hispanic Latinx Heritage Month?

1 Like

As a reminder, Applejack isn’t here anymore. She moved on to a new job and a new opportunity :slight_smile:

We actually did celebrate AAPI month last year with a bunch of extra content and spotlights on both AAPI characters and AAPI writers/artists. We’ll definitely do more of those this year too, though!

1 Like

Aw, man, good for her, but sucks that I missed the goodbye.

3 Likes

(Spoilers for pretty much everything)
So, to recap, here’s how all of the major families of DC are doing with LGBTQ+ representation:

• More or less the entire Batman family, if we accept HCQ as an authority (which he is). Even if we don’t, still Kate, Harper, Tim, Steph, and Ghost-Maker. And for what it’s worth, at least four of Gotham’s top ten rogues.
  • Superman (Jon Kent) and Supergirl (Kara Danvers) (I maintain my stance on you-know what.)
  • More or less the entire Wonder Woman family.
  • Alan, Jo, and if you’re in the mood, you can count Obsidian too.
  • Aquaman (Jackson Hyde)

• Out of this top six roundup, the Flash family is probably doing the worst, with just 2 b-listers.
1 Like

Alright, I finally found a pretty good way to add the specifics, based on Wookieepedia’s catalogue of canon LGBTQ+ characters. So, here we go, this should only take about a thousand years…

2 Likes

Took me about twenty-four hours to finish my revision, and about ten more minutes to proofread it, but I think I nailed it.

2 Likes

Ooo, im looking forward to this ^^

2 Likes

Total:
Undefined female-female sexual/romantic orientation - 60 (+1 w/ footnote)
Undefined male-male sexual/romantic orientation - 49 (+3 w/ various footnotes)
Bisexual females - 36 (+38 w/ various footnotes)
Gay males - 24 (+3 w/ various footnotes)
Lesbians - 24
Bisexual males - 23 (+54 w/ various footnotes)
Non-binary - 19 (+1 w/ footnote)
Trans females - 13
Aliens/Deities/AIs who defy our typical gender concepts - 8 (+45 w/ various footnotes)
Other - 7 (+4 w/ various footnotes)
Asexual males - 3 (+1 w/ footnote)
Trans males - 2 (+1 w/ footnote)
Asexual females - 2

Well, I have to say, scrolling through my list to create this tally was quite an emotional roller coaster. At first, compared to real-world statistics, there were too many lesbians and not enough bisexual females, then there were too many bisexual males and not enough gay males, but fortunately, once we got to the second half of the alphabet, those lined up. Now, I don’t know what the real-world stats are, but 13 trans females to 2 trans males can’t be right, can it?

3 Likes

Probably not…Which trans male characters did you count?

1 Like

Sir Tristan and Masquerade. There’s also Jim from The Sandman, but it’s a little unclear if he (they?) is a “trans boy” as traditionally defined, or if they (he?) might be more accurately described as non-binary.

2 Likes

hmm…I feel like Hypnota makes an arguable case, though it was never flat out stated in canon.

Hmm…Dang, im wracking my brain and im having zero luck whatsoever thinking of anyone else.

1 Like

Of course, the other stat that’s way off is asexuality. Of course, ~1% of people being ace seems like a small number until you look at the other stats and realize that the porportion means there are definitely not enough ace characters.

3 Likes