Who Are All the LGBT+/Queer Characters at DC?

Ive occasionally seen lists here and there that seem partial and have a bit of disconnect, but I wanted to try and form a list of the various queer characters. I know there are quite a bit, so I am asking for some help attempting to name them all be they in the main universe, an elseworlds, or something else.

I request that when you name a character, that you include what you include the specifics (gay, transexual, or ace for example)

Im confident that there are more queer characters at DC than even the editorial is aware of. And I am looking forward to finding out about them all!

6 Likes

There is going to be a big effort on LGBT characters on Pride Month this June.

Starting on the first of June.

Club leaders have been working on this with the moderators for months.

It’s gonna be good.

6 Likes

There’s a club for that!

The #dc-pride club has a history of readings of queer representation from DC- you can check out their Club Room here, or jump straight to the list of all topics devoted to DC Pride here.

We also have a collection on DCUI of curated selections you can find here.

Like @TurokSonOfStone1950 said, keep your eyes peeled for a full month of events covering representation throughout DC’s history, both characters and creators :slight_smile: :00_dc_pride: The Club Leaders have been hard at work compiling the most complete database possible, and it’s turning out beautifully.

5 Likes

My knowledge is by no means complete, but here’s what I have right now (I’m sure I’ll think of more, and regularly update this)

Note that some of these characters are only canonically queer in certain continuities, but it all matters, because it all happened.

:00_dc_pride: :00_dc_pride_ar: :00_dc_pride_as: :00_dc_pride_bs: :00_dc_pride_is: :00_dc_pride_ll: :00_dc_pride_nb: :00_dc_pride_poci: :00_dc_pride_ps: :00_dc_pride_tg:

Acero (Spoiler: Suicide Squad Seven)
Achilles Warkiller
Adam Strange
Aerie
Agent 355
Agent Danvers

Alice Oh (Spoiler: Poison Ivy: Thorns)
Alkyone
Alysia Yeoh
Anaya
Aphrodite*
Apollo
Apollo (God of Olympus)*
Apollo (God of Rome)*
Aqualad (Kaldur’ahm)
Ares*
Artemis (goddess)*
Artemis of Bana-Mighdall
Aruna
Atë*
Athena*
Atlantiades
Batman (Bruce Wayne)**
Batman (Bruce Wayne, Jr.)**
Batwoman (Carrie Kelley)**
Batwoman (Kate Kane)

Batwoman (Ryan Wilder) (Spoiler: Batwoman Season 2)
Bellona*
Berenice Yoon Milonas***

Bernard Dowd (Spoiler: Batman: Urban Legends)
Beth Deville
Bizarro Robin**
Bluebird
Brainiac 5
Bueno Excellente
Bunker
Burden
Captain Harkness****
Catman
Catwoman (Holly Robinson)
Catwoman (Selina Kyle)
Cheetah (Barbara Minerva)
Chris Ward**
Citizen Cold

Claire (Spoiler: I am Not Starfire)
Clara Oswald*****
Clayface
Coagula
Comet (Andrea Martinez/Andy Jones)
Concordia*
Creote
Crush
Cullen Row
Damon Matthews
Danny the Street
Daria Hernandez
David Singh
DaxAtax**
Dawnstar
Death*****
Deadpool****
Deimos*
Demeter*
Desire
Dionysus (god)*
Djinn
Dr. Ikon
Dr. Mann
Dr. October
Dr. Wells
Dre-B-Robbin**
Dream Girl
Dream/Morpheus*
Dreamer

Drummer Boy (Spoiler: DC Pride)
Echo
Element Lad

Elle (Spoiler: Harley Quinn: The Animated Series: The Eat. Bang! Kill. Tour)
Enyo*
Eris/Strife*
Eros*
Etta Candy
Exoristos
Extraño
Eve
Fadeaway*******
Firebrand (Janet Fals)
Ghost-Maker
Golden Ninja********
Grace Choi
Green Lantern (Alan Scott)

Green Lantern (Jo Mullein) (Spoiler: Far Sector)
Greg Berlanti*********
Ha’Wea
Hades*
Halo
Harley Quinn
Harmonia*
Hecate*
Hephaestus*
Hera*
Hercules*
Hermaphroditus
Hermes*
Hero Cruz
Hikaru Sulu****
Hooded Justice
Huckleberry Hound
Huntress**
Icemaiden
Invisible Kid (Lyle Norg)
Iphthime
Jarro

Jay Nakamura (Spoiler: Superman: Son of Kal-El)
Jeanette
Jenny Sparks
Jericho
Jinny Hex
Jo (Lumberjanes)****
John Constantine
Joker
Josephine (Watchmen)
Josiah Power
Judy (The Sandman)
Julia Pennyworth
Julie Madison**
Jupiter*

Katie (Spoiler: Crush & Lobo)

Kenny Liu (Spoiler: You Brought Me the Ocean)

Kid Quick (Spoiler: DC’s Very Merry Multiverse)
Knight-Wing**

Knightfall (Spoiler: Harley Quinn: The Animated Series: The Eat. Bang! Kill. Tour)
Knockout
Larvox
Lena Luthor**********
Liana Kerzner
Lightning Lad
Lightning Lass***********
Lisa Simpson****

Livewire (Spoiler: Harley Quinn: The Animated Series: The Eat. Bang! Kill. Tour)
Loki************
Lord %@%%!
Lucifer Morningstar
Madame Fatal
Madame Vastra****
Madame Xanadu
Maggie Sawyer

Mandy Anders (Spoiler: I am Not Starfire)
Marya**
Masquerade
Maxima
Mazikeen

Mephitic (Spoiler: Harley Quinn: The Animated Series: The Eat. Bang! Kill. Tour)
Mera
Mercury*
Midnight Rider
Midnighter
Minerva*
Missy****
Moish
Monsieur Mallah
Mother Panic
Mr. Terrific
Negative Man
Neon the Unknown
Nick Necro
Nightmare Nurse
Nightwing**
Nocturna
Nubia
Nyssa al Guhl
Nyx*
Obsidian
Off-Ramp
Olivia Reynolds

OMAC 9 (Spoiler: Superman and the Authority)
Ozymandias
Pablo (Exit Stage Left!: The Snagglepuss Chronicles)
Pan*
Penguin
Persephone*
Phobos*
Pied Piper
Poison Ivy
Porcelain
Poseidon*
Prince Jason
Professor Dumbledore****
Queen Desira
Queen Hippolyta
Queen Phillippus
Question (Renee Montoya)
Quick Draw McGraw
R-Iko**
Rag Doll (Peter Merkel, Jr.)
Ramsey Robinson
Ray (Raymond Terrill)
Rebis
Red Hood**
Red Robin (Tim Drake)*************
Riddler
Robin**
Robin (Alfred Pennyworth)**
Robin (Barbara Gordon)**
Robin (Baruch Wayne’s girlfriend)**
Robin (Damian Wayne)**
Robin (Dinesh Babar)**
Robin (Francisco Ramirez)**
Robin (John Grayson)**
Robin (Lance Heart)**

Robin (Maps Mizoguchi)** (Spoiler: Batman Black and White)
Robin (Matt McGinnis)**
Robin (Ricky)**
Robin (Robert Chang)**
Robin (Rochelle Wayne)**
Robin (Rodney)**
Robin (Tengu)**
Robin (Thomas Wayne)**
Robin (Tris Plover)**

Robin from Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn in “The Beginning” (Spoiler: DC: Love Is a Battlefield)
Robin Olsen**
Robin the robin**
Robin the Toy Wonder**
Robin/Hawk Man/Atom**
Robin-462**
Robina**
Rorschach (Walter Kovacs)
Sam (Deadman: Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love)
Sam Zhao
Savant
Scandal Savage
Seafarer
Sean Erin
Shazam! (Billy Batson)**
Shining Knight
Shrinking Violet***********
Signal**
Silhouette
Sir Tristan
Skuld*
Snagglepuss
Spider-Man (Peter Parker)/Bug**************
Spoiler**
Starfire***************
Starman (Mikaal Tomas)
Starro
Steel (Natasha Irons)

Stitch (Spoiler: Teen Titans Academy)
Superboy (Conner Kent)****************
Supergirl (Kara Danvers)**********

Superman (Jon Kent) (Spoiler: Superman: Son of Kal-El)
Swift

Syl (Spoiler: DC Pride)

Syszn of the Cliffs (Spoiler: Far Sector)
T.C.
Tasmanian Devil
Tefé Holland
Thalia*
The Brain
The Doctor****
The Robin**
TheTroyWonder**
Thunder (Anissa Pierce)
Traci 13
Tremor
Triton*
Triumph
Urd*
Verdandi*

Vixen (Spoiler: Harley Quinn: The Animated Series: The Eat. Bang! Kill. Tour)
Vulcan*
Wanda Mann
War Beast/Tina
White Canary (Sara Lance)
William (Arrow)

Wink****************** (Spoiler: DC Pride)
Writer******************
Wolf Spider
Wonder Girl (Cassie Sandsmark)*
Wonder Woman (Diana of Themyscira)
Wonder Woman (Mala)
XS
Ya’Wara
Yellow Ranger (Trini Kwan)*******************
Zeus*

*I don’t think it’s been referenced in DC, but it’s generally understood that all the Gods of Olympus are pansexual and genderfluid.

**VOTING CLOSED! Your Complete Guide to DC's 2021 Round Robin Brackets - #76 by HubCityQuestion And unless he says it himself, I refuse to believe he meant anything other than EVERY Robin.

***Sarah Vaugh on ‘Deadman: Dark Mansion’ and why Queer Ghost Stories Matter

****No DC publication ever referenced this character being queer or genderqueer, but in material from the original publisher, they and/or an alternate version(s) are shown to be queer and/or genderqueer.

*****Well, footnote 4 in any case, and oh boy, this is a Moffat-level brain-teaser. Oswin is definitely straight, and dialogue in “Deep Breath” and “Last Christmas” implies that the original Clara is also exclusively interested in men, but dialogue in “The Caretaker” suggests otherwise. Scientists are still working on the cause(s) of sexual/romantic orientation, but we don’t know if all versions of the Impossible Girl have the exact same genetic/hormonal makeup, and it doesn’t make it any easier that Oswin is from so far in the future (obviously, biological evolution takes hundreds of thousands of years, while this is in less than 3500, but I’ve looked at the numbers, and statistically speaking, I’ll be disappointed if we still have gender in the 24th century. Like, at all). Let’s just say we reversed the polarity of the neutron flow and call it a night.

*****To my knowledge, it’s never happened in the same issue, but Death has taken on both male and female forms in post-Flashpoint continuity.

******The new Fadeaway was revealed in the one-page preview of Blue Beetle: Graduation Day, which lost, so we will (possibly) never know their true identity.

*******I generally assume male characters played by cis female actors (and vice versa) are trans. And given his age, it could explain his voice change between Hands of Time and Sons of Garmadon: He might’ve just become old enough to start taking hormones (although I don’t know what the laws are for someone who’s drank Tomorrow’s Tea). That’s just me, though, and it’s only applicable under footnote 4.

********Not really a “character”, but Berlanti appears as himself in the end credits of many of his productions, including some in the Arrowverse.

*********So, I got stuck in the Phantom Zone somewhere between Supergirl episodes 17 and 18, so I just found out about Supercorp yesterday and I think that if Twitter attaches an explanation to the trend, it’s noteworthy enough to mention here, despite not being canon (Yet!.. Just LET ME HAVE THIS!!!), and if it does actually happen I won’t know about it for years, I have so much Arrowverse catching up to do. Again, LET ME HAVE THIS!!! LET ME - (passes out) In the immortal words of Tyler Templeton, “Wha -? What happened? The […] king with no insecurities has returned!” (Spoiler: Stephen Colbert Presents Tooning Out the News)

**********Pride Profile: Shrinking Violet and Lightning Lass

***********DC has never depicted Loki as such, but in Norse mythology and many modern adaptations, Loki has been shown to be genderfluid.

************Tim has had many footnotes attached to the question of his sexuality: See footnotes 2 and 15, and in addition, none of that matters anymore because it’s finally happening and I am so thrilled that I spent a full 5 seconds not thinking about What If… ? coming out in less than 6 hours. (Spoiler: Batman: Urban Legends)

*************Unfortunately, didn’t happen, and it wasn’t DC, but the original publisher and/or another publisher with rights to the character, had scrapped plans to make this character and/or an alternate version(s) queer and/or genderqueer.

**************Pride Profile: Starfire

***************Robin & Superboy: The Greatest Teen Romance That Never Was

***************Not clear how this character fits into the LGBTQ category, but they were a part of the JLQ. (Spoiler: DC Pride)

*****************In the comics, the Writer uses male pronouns, but in this article: The Ten Strangest Members of the Suicide Squad | DC, they are referred to by non-binary pronouns, reflecting Grant Morrison-Prime coming out.

******************Well, it’s hard to say anything for sure. But in Saban’s Power Rangers, Zach asked Trini “Boyfriend trouble?” When she did not answer, he added “Girlfriend trouble?” Trini evasively answered “[My family] just like[s] me to be normal and I’m not.” In any case, it’s only applicable under footnote 4.

Alright, that took, like, half an hour. And I’m sure I’m not done.

4 Likes

Wow, it’s even longer in real life.

4 Likes

:laughing: It’s like a quarter of a fruit rollup!

3 Likes
  • Burden (G)
  • Bunker (G)
  • Exoristos (“It’s complicated”?) (depends on your interpretation of how she sees Sir Ystin, regardless of how Sir Ystin sees herself)
  • Cullen Row (G)
  • Knockout (G)
  • Catman (B)
  • Ragdoll (Jr.) (U)
  • Porcelain (?) (can change genders, thus typically referred to by nonbinary pronouns, but we don’t know much about zis gender identity, nor preferences save for “weird stuff”)
  • Nocturna (B?)
  • Wolf Spider (G / NB) (gay in comics, nonbinary in Arrowverse)
  • Obsidian (G)
  • Damon Matthews (G)

3 Likes

I’ve added some of them, and I’ll do some research on these others. Also, what does the question mark mean in Nocturna?

3 Likes

It means I’m not certain if she’s canonically bi, or was “presumed straight” pre-Flashpoint and is gay post-Flashpoint. We’ve never really gotten in to her romantic motivations, so it could just be “sex-for-evil” as needed.

3 Likes

What is Porcelain from? I looked them up on DC Database, but all I got was a character called Porcelain Doll who is listed as female.

2 Likes

SECRET SIX (2014-2016)
And briefly in one frame of Gail Simone and Jim Calafiore’s contribution to the Love is Love tribute to the Pulse nightclub shooting victims. (Though oddly grouped with the Movement crew instead of Secret Six teammates.)

3 Likes

Things are in progress that will provide lots of profiles of the characters being listed out here, with more description than just a name, to be revealed in June.

Reminded me of the big, obvious one:

• Jericho (B)

As well as…

• Dr. Ikon (G)
  • Jeannette (B) (Also Secret Six)
3 Likes

Um, the link doesn’t go anywhere…

3 Likes

:shushing_face: shhhh

4 Likes

(Whispering) Is this some sort of Secret Six in-joke?

4 Likes

Oh my. I did not realize there WERE clubs until now. Nor did I anticipate there was such an effort going on either. :o

I had been away working on a list myself only to come back and discover this. Though it has been rendered moot, I might as well post up what I came up with myself in any case.

Anaya of the Bana Amazons is gay
Iphthime of the Themyscira Amazons is gay
Menalippe of the Themyscira Amazons is gay
penelope of the Themyscira Amazons is gay
Mala of the Themyscira Amazons is gay
DNA is genderqueer
Tazmanian Devil is gay (married to Extrano~)
Catman is Bi
Shroud is non binary
Roman (Alpha Centurion) is Gay
Maxima is bi

Wonder Woman as already mentioned…
I can’t recall whether it was canon that Philipus and Hippolyta were lovers…

Im delighted though to know such a club already exists and that such an amazing project is already underway

4 Likes

Be patient

The Profiles are in draft in a private ‘Open to Club Leaders’ area

All will be revealed in June

3 Likes

Inside scoop :arrow_up:

3 Likes

Can confirm, our club leaders are gonna be sharing some awesome details in June that will help fill in the blanks here. It’s an exciting time!

3 Likes

I daresay, mine will be longer, 'cause I’ll just add whatever you have! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

3 Likes